Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1204364 times)

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #1250 on: May 09, 2007, 06:27:43 pm »
" S'alright, s'alright........shhhhh..... damn you Ennis....go ahead and bawl, s'alright....ain't lettin' ya go, hang on to me tight..... stay in my arms as long as ya want....ain't leaving till your ready, it's ok, I ain't going nowhere....shhhh.....shhhhhhhh.....s'alright........nobody here but us bud....stay here al f***ing day if ya want....just hang on ta me.....'s'alright...shhh..... s'alright Ennis"

Tweaked rerun from 'Fantasy Scenes'. Thought you might like it Janice.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 06:47:50 pm by jpwagoneer1964 »
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1251 on: May 09, 2007, 07:38:46 pm »
GOOD JOB Lucise!!!!!!!

Thanks Mark!  :)

Lucise, that was wonderful...It gave a full ending to one of the most startling and awful scenes, from the movie.  That is and has always been my most disturbing feeling, leaving that scene...It seemed so out of place, and unnerving.  It left you feeling they were just losing the love....Even the lake scene, "I wish i knew how to quit you."  Let you know they cared too much,...so thank you for this,,,thank you very much...for your talents.....janice

I know what you mean, Janice.  After that fight by the river we are not sure whether they made up or not or how they left things when the trip was over.   I am glad the drabble filled some blanks for you, as it did me.  :)

Cheers,
~M

Offline haunted_by_bbm

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • "didn't know we was gonna get into this again..."
    • Panels of the Dream: Brokeback Mountain Stories
« Reply #1252 on: May 09, 2007, 08:30:01 pm »
Lucise,

I'm sitting here in tears from your drabble. 

And I've watched that scene from the movie no fewer than fifty times now...and I don't cry anymore when I watch it.   

But your words just melted me and left me a puddle of mush. 
Thank you, sweetie.    :-*

C*
"The room stank of semen and smoke and sweat and whiskey, of old carpet and sour hay, saddle leather, shit and cheap soap.  Ennis lay spread-eagled, spent and wet, breathing deep, still half tumescent, Jack blowing forceful cigarette clouds like whale spouts..." – Annie Proulx

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1253 on: May 09, 2007, 08:34:12 pm »
. . . .Before Ennis knew it, he was walking towards the tent, his hat in hand; a simple gesture to beg for forgiveness and make everything right again …just like he’d done that night.  Jack was lying on the bedroll, his back to the tent flap.  Ennis dropped his hat on the ground and lay down next to him.  He snuggled in close and threw an arm around Jack’s waist.  Jack lay still.  Ennis pressed a soft kiss on the side of his neck, and then another…Jack turned around to face him; he shifted closer until their faces were only a few inches apart.   He looked into those brown eyes quietly and without saying a word, he brought his hand up to Ennis’ face and caressed the smooth cheek.  The angry and bitter feelings he felt had vanished, washed away by the overwhelming, desperate need he had for the man who laid beside him.  He kissed Ennis’ lips, tender and slow; wooing him, soothing him, and loving him like he’d done on that first night.. all those years ago…

Oh, Milli!  This is perfection!  Dang, it is such a rush when you talented writers are able to express exactly what I imagine happened and exactly what I imagine they were thinking.   :) :)

" S'alright, s'alright........shhhhh..... damn you Ennis....go ahead and bawl, s'alright....ain't lettin' ya go, hang on to me tight..... stay in my arms as long as ya want....ain't leaving till your ready, it's ok, I ain't going nowhere....shhhh.....shhhhhhhh.....s'alright........nobody here but us bud....stay here al f***ing day if ya want....just hang on ta me.....'s'alright...shhh..... s'alright Ennis"   

Ahhh....yes!!!  Same as above, Mark.  I know this is just what Jack said, just what happened - so good to "see" it played out.  (That picture is so heartbreaking.)

Thanks again - terrific work!
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1254 on: May 10, 2007, 01:51:48 am »
Lucise,

I'm sitting here in tears from your drabble. 
And I've watched that scene from the movie no fewer than fifty times now...and I don't cry anymore when I watch it.   
But your words just melted me and left me a puddle of mush. 
Thank you, sweetie.    :-*

C*

Aww C* ... :-*
I don't know what to say.  Thank you.   :)

~~~

Marie, as always, where would we be without thee..?!  ;)

Hugs,
~M

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #1255 on: May 10, 2007, 06:48:15 am »

Like All Those Years Ago…

Milli, I second everything others have said. When I went to bed yesterday evening, I wanted to take a quick glance at what's new on BM before shutting the PC down. Your drabble was the first thing I clicked on. After reading it, I read it a second time, then shut down the computer. I didn't want to read anything else after this. It is perfect beauty.
Thank you for this.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1256 on: May 10, 2007, 11:44:06 am »
Hello everyone!  :)

I am jumping in to offer some prompts today:

* sealed envelope
* restraint
* whirl or swirl

Looking forward to your creativity!

~M

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #1257 on: May 10, 2007, 12:31:38 pm »
July 1988

"You alright Ennis?" Bobby quired, as adjusted the strap holding the packs on his horse.

Ennis silent looking toward the grassy field...were he sat that long ago day.

"Ennis?"

"...Huh...um...Ah's alright.....just thinkin' is all..."

"Must a been...real hard...leavin' here....when you was with Pop."

Ennis still staring ahead."...Yep....sure wuz...think it wuz hardest thing Ah ever had ta do wuz leaving here."

Bobby moves to Ennis's side reaches his arm around him squeezes his shoulder remains quiet.

"See what happend wuz...Ah wuz up in the mountain with the sheep...woke up ta snow on the ground....freezin' my ass off....rode down ta camp...an yer daddy is taking down the tent.....said Agguire came by we's ta tke the sheep down the mountain....whole month earlier....than...." Ennis looks down. "Don't think Ah ever felt so bad,." Bobby gently tugs on his neck. "Went over on the grassy mound right over there...just sat....felt all mixed up....didn't Ah could ever ...be with  yer dad again ....could hardly ever think.... Your dad...he packed up camp all by himself...while Ah wuz there...didn't seem to bothered... He never said...Ah figured out later....Ah think he thought Ah'd just be goin' off with 'm......sometimes....... "

"Oh Ennis...."

"Yer daddy....sees me up there...he come up ta me.... tries ta lasso me with the rope...just playful like....tryin' ta cheer me up  Ah guess....not....we get ta rollin' 'round an he knees me in the nose...."

"He..."

"Yer daddy didn't meant to...just happin...got all bloody...Yer daddy gets up ...tries ta help me....Ah...Ah wuz all mixed up.....threw him a punch....knocked 'm down" Ennis is silent for a moment. "Took us two days ta bring the sheep down....we ...we hardly spoke...could hardly be lookin' at him...knowin' Ah'd mebe never see him again....couldn't be... with 'm anymore."

"Ennis...Ennis....I'm so sorry.....you 'n Pop didn't get....go off ta be together...." Bobby tightened his grip on Ennis.

"Now don't you let me be hearin' talk like that son....Huh?.....Ya hear me?...Those days.... mebe even now we just couldn't be together...out in the open 'n all....just wuzn't safe...Much a Ah wanted ta be with yer dad...wouldn't trade all those years with him not ta have raise my daughters...be a daddy to 'm...an ....ta...to know you neither ...an know what else? ....neither would yer daddy ...no matter what.... 'Sides wouldn't ta done ya much good if Ah did take off with yer daddy" Ennis chuckles. "...don't how they're be much chance of ya even being born!....you just hush up 'bout that ya hear?" Ennis claps him on the back.

"Yes sir.....Ennis...."

"Come on....'s time we be gettin' a move on."

« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 02:24:35 pm by jpwagoneer1964 »
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Scott6373

« Reply #1258 on: May 10, 2007, 12:47:19 pm »
Sealed Envelope 5/10/07

The envelope was yellowed with age.  It had not seen the light of day in many years; too many years.  The bitterness and anger that made him lock the envelope away forty years ago, still occupied a far too large portion of his soul.

“Gramps?  Are you ok?”  The tiny voice came from the darkness outside of his room.

“Huh?  Oh sure darlin’.  Just very tired.  Shouldn’t you be in bed?”

“I couldn’t sleep.  I miss Grams.”

“I know you do honey.  I do to.”

Tess came into the room and sat down on the bed next to him.  She could see from moonlight that filtered through the lacy curtains, that he was holding a piece of paper.  “What’s that Gramps?”

“Oh this…it’s just a letter,” he replied, his eyes burning and tired enough that they required some force to refocus on the envelope.

“It looks very old.  Who is it from?”

“It’s a letter…from my daddy”

Really?  You mean my great Gramps?”

“Yep.  He was a rodeo rider you know.”  The expression in his voice was blankly flat, but the little girl wouldn’t have known the difference.

“You told us.  What does the letter say Gramps?”

“I dunno l’il darlin’.  I never did read it.”

“Gramps!”  Tess was  as shocked as any eight year old girl should be.  A light flickered on outside the room, and the door opened slightly more.

“Tessie?  Are you bothering Gramps?”  His daughter stepped just inside the door.

“She’s ok, but I am tired I think I need to rest now, ok darlin’?”

“Sure Gramps.”  The small girl pecked him on the cheek, and left the room.

“Dad?”  He knew his daughter was concerned, probably overly so, but he stopped her.

“Baby girl, I’m fine.  It’s not like we didn’t know this was comin’ now…”

“I know daddy, but it must be hard for you.”

“It is, but it’s a relief too.  She’s happy and safe and healthy now.”

“Ok…well…if you need anything, just come and get me or Rick.”

“Yes ma’am.”  He knew that response would draw that smile that made his soul sing, even if he couldn’t see it.  She left him, closing the door quietly behind her.  When he was sure to be alone, he slid over to the nightstand and switched the bedside light on.  Drawing in as deep a breath as he dared, he slid his finger under the envelope flap, the glue old and cracking, making the opening clean.  He sat quite still while he read.  The paper as fragile as the content.  When he was done, he sat for a long while, the letter resting on his lap.  He had no strong emotional reaction one way or another; or so he thought.  With care, He folded the paper, placed it back into the envelope, and gently laid it on the nightstand, beside the picture of his wife.

“Genevieve, I wish you had known him,” he said out loud to no one.  He swung his legs up onto the bed, and reclined, his head finding comfort in the clean and soft linens his daughter had put on the bed.  He felt himself begin the slide into sleep, and was surprised that the last words of his father were running through his head.

“There are so many things that I wish I could tell you.  Maybe one day I’ll get the chance.  I need you to know, that just because your mama and I ain’t living together anymore, doesn’t mean I don’t love you more than anything in my life.  You will always have me, and I will always be there for you.  If you can find even half of the love that I have in my life, you will be a lucky man.  I love you son.”

As the words rolled through his mind like a lighted marquee on a movie theater, Robert Twist fell into a safe and deep sleep.

657 words
« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 01:03:03 pm by Scott »

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #1259 on: May 10, 2007, 02:31:44 pm »

Scott that is simple beautiful...So glad you have your writing back..Its a
blessing to all of us.                                                        janice

Beautiful mind