Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1203987 times)

Offline haunted_by_bbm

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • "didn't know we was gonna get into this again..."
    • Panels of the Dream: Brokeback Mountain Stories
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #1280 on: May 11, 2007, 02:02:53 pm »
Laundry Day

Saturday, May 18, 1968
2:17 p.m. / Pine Creek

Jack smiled at the jeans in his hands, wet and stretched, thin spots practically see-through as he held up the pants to the bright afternoon sun.

“Serve the man right if I did rip right through ‘em, after what he said to me.”  Jack chuckled, resuming his task of washing out Ennis’ faded jeans with diligent hands…minus a bar of soap. 

Jack’s mind wandered briefly, making a mental list of all he needed to remember for their next trip…it was a short-lived list...quickly and permanently interrupted by the welcome visual of Ennis walking around buck-ass naked, waiting for his jeans.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(100 Words)   
(Not including title, date, and time of day…I add that stuff for Marie)   ;)   

« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 02:10:21 pm by haunted_by_bbm »
"The room stank of semen and smoke and sweat and whiskey, of old carpet and sour hay, saddle leather, shit and cheap soap.  Ennis lay spread-eagled, spent and wet, breathing deep, still half tumescent, Jack blowing forceful cigarette clouds like whale spouts..." – Annie Proulx

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of nature
« Reply #1281 on: May 11, 2007, 03:08:16 pm »
drabbles drabbles and more drabbles!!!   All of them wonderful..  Thanks to all who have added to the drabblefest and for all the good reading...Its been forever since ive been here and im sure glad im here now!

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1282 on: May 11, 2007, 03:47:25 pm »
. . . ."Umm....yep...went up the the mountains fer a few days right after....pretty much from then on we'd go up way out middle of nowhere mostly always camped ...some time Ah could borrow a cabin ...we'd hunt ...fish fer some of our meals ...yer daddy always made sure we had plenty of good food ...brought a stove ' n all...usually wuz able to make it 'bout three times ah  year....." Ennis looks down a second. "Sometimes... felt kinda bad...'bout Alma 'n yer mama ...sure wusn't their fault....in between those times Ah's mebe think Ah shouldn't go anymore with yer daddy...but....then...postcard come in the mail....an knowd Ah had ta go."

"I ....I know Pop looked forward ta those times.... he always seemed happiest gettin' ready fer goin up ta Wyoming. Mama ...she never gave him a hard time I ever heard  'bout taking those trips ...Glad to send me up on a plane ta meet him to visit grandma 'n grandpa....after he'd see you...."

"Ah....Ah looked forward to them time too...best times Ah ever had ....wuz with yer daddy."  . . . . 

Sniff.  This is choking me up.  It's so great for Ennis to share all this with Bobby - a catharsis, really.  What a wonderful series, Mark.  I'm so glad you thought of it.

P/s: When you get a chance, do check out our Drabblefest LJ Community that adiabatic so wonderfully maintains for us!
Thanks A!  :-* 

Here, Here!    :)

Laundry Day

Saturday, May 18, 1968
2:17 p.m. / Pine Creek

...quickly and permanently interrupted by the welcome visual of Ennis walking around buck-ass naked, waiting for his jeans.

(100 Words)   
(Not including title, date, and time of day…I add that stuff for Marie)   ;)   

ROFL!  Hey, I can't explain how my mind works - I just have to live with it.  Thanks for indulging my insanity!  :-*
And, yeah, "welcome visual" is an understatement!  ;)

Thanks,
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline haunted_by_bbm

« Reply #1283 on: May 11, 2007, 04:02:38 pm »
ROFL!  Hey, I can't explain how my mind works - I just have to live with it.  Thanks for indulging my insanity!  :-*
And, yeah, "welcome visual" is an understatement!  ;)

Thanks,
Marie

lol    :-*   I thought you might like that little addendum.   ;)
"The room stank of semen and smoke and sweat and whiskey, of old carpet and sour hay, saddle leather, shit and cheap soap.  Ennis lay spread-eagled, spent and wet, breathing deep, still half tumescent, Jack blowing forceful cigarette clouds like whale spouts..." – Annie Proulx

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1284 on: May 11, 2007, 04:25:04 pm »
That was beautiful.
Brought me to tears.
Happens often when I think of our boys.

Aww, thanks Lee.  Good to see you here! 
I have read your beautiful stories, I hope you drabble with us sometime!  :)

~M

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1285 on: May 11, 2007, 04:33:39 pm »
Laundry Day
Jack’s mind wandered briefly, making a mental list of all he needed to remember for their next trip…it was a short-lived list...quickly and permanently interrupted by the welcome visual of Ennis walking around buck-ass naked, waiting for his jeans.

If I were Jack, I would keep the jeans soaking wet the entire time..
That would mean Ennis would have to walk around bare-ass, waiting for the jeans... the entire time .. ;D ;)

Cheers C*

~M

Offline haunted_by_bbm

« Reply #1286 on: May 11, 2007, 04:38:59 pm »
If I were Jack, I would keep the jeans soaking wet the entire time..
That would mean Ennis would have to walk around bare-ass, waiting for the jeans... the entire time .. ;D ;)

Cheers C*

~M

rofl    ;D    Can't argue with that.   ;)   

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #1287 on: May 11, 2007, 04:44:50 pm »
Thanks Marie! Just started with that first one when Bobby meets Ennis to thank him...then I thought what should happen..

Mark
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1288 on: May 11, 2007, 04:52:45 pm »
My dabble ..  :)

On Wooden Steps..

His cowboy hat hangs low over his eyes
Does he know I am watching him?
I start with his feet..
Covered in a pair of worn brown boots;
He shakes white dust off his heels
As he taps his feet on wooden steps.
My gaze travels the length of his legs
Clad in a pair of faded blue jeans.
His hands are crammed in his coat pockets,
His head is down, shoulders tense;
Perhaps lost in thought.
I hear his silent cry, loud and clear.
He is closed to the world, hiding away;
Mysterious and captivating,
Alluring, yet forbidding...
The questions dance around in my head,
In tune with the thumping beats in my chest.
Who is he; why do I care?
Why does he take cover behind that fortress,
Holding up that armor,
All the while begging to be touched?
The razor in my hand is almost forgotten
As I watch his littlest movements,
Curious and intrigued.
A half-used bar of soap lies buried in my bag;
Water will have to do.
I run the cold blade along my unshaven cheek..
Trusting my hand to know the way.
My eyes are riveted on him,
Drilling through the thick walls
And barricades he raises around himself.
He is mysterious and captivating,
Alluring, yet forbidding...
Does he know I’m watching him?
The man huddled on the wooden steps.

(230 words)

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1289 on: May 11, 2007, 06:02:17 pm »
The Letter

(August 1985)
Ennis sat at the table, holding the envelope in his hand.  It was hot, even for early in the morning.  He took the folded up piece of paper out of the envelope.  He opened it up, but then he put it back down and fixed himself a cup of that ancient instant coffee.  He put it down to cool a bit, and picked up the letter and began to read.

Dear Ennis,

I am writing to say how sorry I am for everything that I put you though these past few weeks.  I should never have driven like that up the mountain, I should never have driven all the way out there to meet my friend, I am sorry for many of the things I have said.  I am no one to try to teach you any kind of lesson.

I have grown so fond of you, but I know it’s so hard for you to even talk to anyone.  I know I could never ever replace your friend.  I don’t mean to even try at all.

If you are ever ready, I will be here.  That is all I wanted to say.  Man, can’t believe that I just wrote this in a letter. 

Tom

Ennis read the letter three times, then he carefully folded it back up and put in back it the envelope.  It was really hot now inside the trailer.  Ennis went into the bathroom and took a long cool shower.  But his hands were shaking and he kept dropping the bar of soap.  He got dressed in his oldest, most faded pair of jeans, with holes all over, he had forgotten to do the wash these past couple of weeks so that was all he had left to wear.  He diligently made the bed, and then he walked towards the closet.  He opened the door.  The shirts were there.  He sighed, a long deep sigh.  He sat down on the chair and sat there looking at the shirts for a while.  It was stifling hot inside the trailer even though all the windows were open.

Ennis got up and closed the closet door.  He walked over to the door of the trailer.  He stepped outside.  The sun was burning.  He looked over at Tom’s trailer.  Tom was now outside, sitting on the steps of his trailer, with a cup of coffee and a cigarette in his hand.  He sat there looking straight ahead, straight at the lilac bush that was shaking the other night.

A large truck rolled by, breaking the stillness.  Tom turned and stared right at Ennis.

Ennis looked back at him.  He knew it was time to decide.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 06:24:20 pm by Cameron »