Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1183131 times)

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • no way out but through
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #1360 on: May 20, 2007, 10:37:39 pm »

Drunk words = Sober Thoughts

:( :( :(

yeah.  too damn bad.
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #1361 on: May 20, 2007, 10:39:13 pm »
Happy Saturday - here's some prompts for any weekend drabblers:

Marie - What is vim and vigor?
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #1362 on: May 20, 2007, 11:04:07 pm »
not exactly a drabble, but inspired by Saturday, and the music on my stereo.

---

Ennis, here I am.  Don’t I look nice?  Don’t you want me anymore?

Let’s go somewhere, anywhere.  Please, let’s just leave the house together.  It’s Saturday.

It’s a beautiful night.  Let’s just walk down to the corner for an ice cream.  Sit together.

Please Ennis, haven’t I done everything you wanted?

Where is my John Wayne?
Where is my prairie song?
Where is my happy ending?
Where have all the cowboys gone?

Ennis, you watch the t.v. every night. 

I cook for you every night.

I know you’re tired.

I do my best.

Where is my John Wayne?
Where is my praire song?

I am wearing my new dress tonight.

But you don’t, but you don’t even notice me.

Dammit, we can sell the apartment.

We can have another baby.

Go back to work at the ranch.

Go fishing.

I will stay here.

Where is my John Wayne?
Where is my prairie song?

Where is my Marlboro man?
Where is his shiny gun?
Where is my lonely ranger?

---

Italicized portions are lyrics from Paula Cole (Where Have All the Cowboys Gone).  www.lyricsmania.com

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #1363 on: May 21, 2007, 12:28:04 am »
Happy Saturday - here's some prompts for any weekend drabblers:

• Saturday
  • eggs
  • vim and vigor

Marie

This is a little drabble (and a poem) I wrote, and it relates to Saturday.  What happens when Jack Twist wants a day off?

Rise up and walk with me!
Forget the sheep,
Let them be.
Only for a little while,
Leave the wood in a pile.
Let the fire roar and sputter!
Forget the mess, forget the clutter.
There is work to be done,
But let it be!
Rise up and walk with me!

Jack Twist could put his work ethic up against any man's, but some days he just wanted to cool out! He was expected to work seven days a week? What kind of foolishness was that? He and Ennis deserved a day off. Even the horses were allowed to rest when they were tired and worn out.

Ennis was different, though. Taking the day off didn't sit well with him and he told Jack Twist as much. But when he looked into the eyes of the person he loved above all others, and noticed the fatigue and disappointment there, Ennis began to soften. Jack Twist was bone weary!

Perhaps a well deserved day off was in order! Ennis ran into the tent and packed a small duffle and joined Jack at the fire. He placed his free arm around Jack's shoulder and kissed his cheek. Without a word spoken, Jack knew that Ennis had come around, and he was more than excited. Ennis took Jack's hand and they headed off toward the far end of the mountain. 

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1364 on: May 21, 2007, 10:53:10 am »
Hey, cwby!  - Yep, the great thing about endings is that they are also beginnings!

Hi Kelly!  "Vim and Vigor" is a figure of speech (my mom uses it a lot  :) ) which I always took to mean a kind of enthusiastic energy.

. . .
Ennis, you watch the t.v. every night. 

I cook for you every night.

I know you’re tired.

I do my best.

Where is my John Wayne?
Where is my praire song?

I am wearing my new dress tonight.

But you don’t, but you don’t even notice me.

Kelly, this is awesome!  I love how you mixed the lyrics in with your drabble.  The part about the new dress really struck me because I always thought it was so sad that Alma was in a nice dress with her hair combed neatly and make-up on while Ennis was waiting for Jack that first time - and nobody noticed or cared.  I hope you share more of your writing!

This is a little drabble (and a poem) I wrote, and it relates to Saturday.  What happens when Jack Twist wants a day off?
.  . . .
 Ennis took Jack's hand and they headed off toward the far end of the mountain. 

Wow, littlewing - that really is perfect for Saturday's prompts!  We all need to "let it be" sometimes! 

Thanks,
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1365 on: May 21, 2007, 10:58:14 am »
How about these for some Monday prompts:

• paper bag
  • meaningful
  • possessions

See ya later,
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #1366 on: May 21, 2007, 11:33:07 am »
Jack:
Dammit Ennis! You belong ta me and I belong ta you. Ain't nuthin' you or I can do ta change that. Don't matter none that we both got married, had kids. Don't even matter that I live over 700 miles away. Sh..t it don't ever matter that this is all we got, two, three weeks ah year rompin' in the forest. Yer always be mine Ennis Del Mar an I always be yours.

Fantasy rerun
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #1367 on: May 21, 2007, 09:09:04 pm »
Jack:
Dammit Ennis! You belong ta me and I belong ta you. Ain't nuthin' you or I can do ta change that. Don't matter none that we both got married, had kids. Don't even matter that I live over 700 miles away. Sh..t it don't ever matter that this is all we got, two, three weeks ah year rompin' in the forest. Yer always be mine Ennis Del Mar an I always be yours.

Fantasy rerun

JP, my friend, this is just beautiful!  I love your intrepretation of this very powerful scene!  I can image Jack thinking this, even saying this out loud to Ennis.  And the picture is just perfection.  Lovely work!  :)

Marie

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1368 on: May 21, 2007, 09:53:38 pm »
Cleaning Day

(October 1982)
Cassie decided it was time to clean up.  She first went through the closet.  She found an old blue striped shirt.  She took it off the hanger, carefully folded it up and then put it in a paper bag.  Then she went through the drawers of her chest.  Not much there but she found two pairs of underwear, and a white t-shirt.  She gathered the t-shirt up in a ball, and then she held it to her face.  It still had the scent, the scent of all those years together.  She sat down on the bed, and the years flashed before her.  She buried her face in the t-shirt, but then she shook her head.  “Fuckin' wasted years” she said out loud.  She put the t-shirt in the paper bag.

Cassie went to the bathroom and opened the medicine cabinet above the sink.  A razor that was beginning to get rusty, and a can of shaving cream that was also starting to rust in the seam were on the top shelf.  Cassie took them down and held them both in her hands, turned them over and over and then tossed them into the garbage can.

She went into the kitchen.  She began going through the drawers near the sink.  Nothing there.  “I’m tired of this” she said and she went to the fridge.  She took a bottle of soda out, but there, way in the back was the bottle of wine.  Cassie reached for it, and looked at it and remembered the night.  It was one of the few nights when everything was fine.  They watched an old movie, and then Ennis spent the night. The night was sweet.  Cassie had thought that the night meant something, that everything was going to be alright after that.  But it was just two nights before the last trip.  It was meaningful, but not the way she had hoped.  She poured the wine down the sink.

Cassie went back to the bedroom, and picked up the paper bag, with the last of his possessions that she still had.  She went outside.  She opened the garbage can.  She stood there, with the paper bag in her hand.

Cassie turned around.  She went back inside and then she put the bag all the way in the back of her closet.  Then she lied down on her bed and cried.  Again.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 10:15:13 pm by Cameron »

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1369 on: May 21, 2007, 10:30:07 pm »
. . . .Yer always be mine Ennis Del Mar an I always be yours. 

Fantasy rerun 

Mark, I love that your "fantasy reruns" always fit so perfectly with my vision of our boys. 

.  . .
Cassie turned around.  She went back inside and then she put the bag all the way in the back of her closet.  Then she lied down on her bed and cried.  Again. 

You're able to show us Cassie's pain so well, Marl.  It's so hard to let go of "things" when they're all you have left.  I hope you continue Cassie's story.

Thanks,
Marie