Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1198062 times)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #1370 on: May 22, 2007, 01:16:18 pm »
Hiya drabblers - how do these sound:

• crayons
  • condiments
  • round steak

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1371 on: May 22, 2007, 05:39:33 pm »
Hello everyone..

I am in a bit of a poetic mood these days.. :)
Here is my dabble..

Color me..

Color me red…
Sweet, seductive
Fiery hot
Explosive
Deeply captivating
Like our burning passion.

Color me orange…
Warm, inviting
Nurturing
Like the warmth
From this bronze sun
Shining down
On our glistening skins.

Color me yellow…
Hopeful, wise
Bright and sunny
Pure and precious;
Like daffodils –
A symbol of
Blooming love.

Color me green…
Lush and fresh
Growing in harmony
With you in this love;
Wild and free
Tall and proud
Like the mighty pines
In whose shades
We now lie in peace.

Color me blue…
Calming
Soothing, inspiring
Like sky and ocean;
Like your eyes -
Liquid pools of blue
In which I readily drown
Whenever you look upon me.

Color me indigo...
Profound
Overwhelming
Like the midnight sky -
Keeper of stars and moon
And our dreams
Hopes and secrets;
Every wish, our hearts’ desires
Interwoven by cosmic thread
Safe in the deep blue above..

Color me violet...
Serene
Enclosed by peace -
Peace of mind
Peace of heart
Peace of soul
Peace in this love we share..

Love is like a box of crayons...
We are the canvas
On which to paint this rainbow.
Color me as you will..

(~190 words)

« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 06:03:03 pm by Lucise »

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1372 on: May 22, 2007, 06:01:14 pm »

I am in a bit of a poetic mood these days.. :)

. . . .
Love is like a box of crayons...
We are the canvas
On which to paint this rainbow.
Color me as you will..   

Poetic mood? Lucky us to have our very own poet laureate.  :)  You never cease to amaze, M~ - that took my breath away.

Thank you,
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1373 on: May 23, 2007, 12:13:45 pm »
Happy Hump Day! Let's see if these inspire:

• white picket fence
  • human nature
  • sticks and stones

Marie

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1374 on: May 23, 2007, 01:56:59 pm »
                                                     Sticks and Stones

Ennis saw the white picket fence, as his daddy pulled up alongside the yard...KE opened the door and exited      the truck.  Ennis could hardly move his feet.  He had the vision they had just seen exploding in his head...The vision played on the backs of his eyelids, like some grotesque horror movie.. He didn't really know what to think.
He wondered why his daddy had taken them to see that man...His daddy knows very well Ennis cries when he sees  a dead animal, or bird, let alone a person.  A man he had seen before.  A man he almost knew.
   I guess it was human nature to be curious about such things, but Ennis didn't have that feeling.  No! he hated that way he felt...His stomach was hurting, and he felt like he did that time when he ate them green apples..  He didn't know if he needed to throw up or go to the outhouse.  KE was real quiet too, but he didn't seem to be sick like Ennis was.  KE said " Ennis , get out.  Its time to get out."  That was when he realized that he had been sitting there like he was almost stuck in cement.  It was drying and he was going to be forever left in its space.  In a way I guess I am stuck he thought.  I'll never be able to forget that man laying there...looking like he was a stick, all dried out, and covered with tomatos dried and shunk  up.  He lay against the red dirt, and the jumble of stones, and the dried weeds and grass, like so much
of the  stuff, you found after a long hard winter.or a flash flood..scary yet normal life...in the hills and plains of Wyoming..He hoped that this was not something normal, and he would never see such a thing again in his life.. "Ennis, get outa the truck," this time it was his fathers voice he heard.   And he obeyed.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 02:25:59 pm by ifyoucantfixit »

Beautiful mind

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1375 on: May 23, 2007, 08:04:02 pm »
                                                     Sticks and Stones

Ennis saw the white picket fence, as his daddy pulled up alongside the yard...KE opened the door and exited      the truck.  Ennis could hardly move his feet.  He had the vision they had just seen exploding in his head...The vision played on the backs of his eyelids, like some grotesque horror movie.. He didn't really know what to think.
He wondered why his daddy had taken them to see that man...His daddy knows very well Ennis cries when he sees  a dead animal, or bird, let alone a person.  A man he had seen before.  A man he almost knew.
   I guess it was human nature to be curious about such things, but Ennis didn't have that feeling.  No! he hated that way he felt...His stomach was hurting, and he felt like he did that time when he ate them green apples..  He didn't know if he needed to throw up or go to the outhouse.  KE was real quiet too, but he didn't seem to be sick like Ennis was.  KE said " Ennis , get out.  Its time to get out."  That was when he realized that he had been sitting there like he was almost stuck in cement.  It was drying and he was going to be forever left in its space.  In a way I guess I am stuck he thought.  I'll never be able to forget that man laying there...looking like he was a stick, all dried out, and covered with tomatos dried and shunk  up.  He lay against the red dirt, and the jumble of stones, and the dried weeds and grass, like so much
of the  stuff, you found after a long hard winter.or a flash flood..scary yet normal life...in the hills and plains of Wyoming..He hoped that this was not something normal, and he would never see such a thing again in his life.. "Ennis, get outa the truck," this time it was his fathers voice he heard.   And he obeyed.

Wow, Janice - that is so powerful. Such a creative use of the prompts, and you captured the feeling of a nine-year old so well with those descriptions.  It's great to see you drabbling.

Thanks,
Marie

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1376 on: May 24, 2007, 12:42:22 pm »
Good afternoon, all  - wanna give these a try?

• detour
  • ice
  • leather

Marie

Offline opinionista

« Reply #1377 on: May 27, 2007, 07:49:21 am »
Bump, i don't drabble much but I like reading it! Come on people!
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1378 on: May 28, 2007, 01:24:09 am »
(Yeah, let's try to get this going again, I miss them too.  I'll try, I am a bit rusty, but here goes, continuation of 'The Neighbor'.)

The Chill in Summer

(August 1985)
Ennis kept on walking back to Tom’s trailer.  It was a real warm night, almost hot.  But he had his jacket on anyway.  He took the detour to Tom’s trailer, walking the long way around.  Ennis stopped and looked up at the sky.  The clouds were now covering the stars.  He looked at his hands, they were shaking.  He kept on walking, slower and slower.   Suddenly Ennis felt a chill.  It felt like there was ice running through his veins.  He closed his jacket and put his hands in his pockets.  But it didn’t help, the cold was from within.  Ennis stopped and looked up at the sky again.  The moon was peaking through the clouds.  The night was still, there wasn’t a sound, except for the crickets, chirping as if all was well.   Ennis went down on his knees, he felt as if he couldn’t go on.   All the years passed in front of him in the darkness.  But he got up and slowly went on to Tom’s trailer.

Tom was sitting outside.  His silver hair was glistening in the faint light of the peeping moon.  His eyes were bright.  Ennis stood right in front of him, looking at the ground.

“I don’t think I can do this” he said in a whisper.

“Hey, don’t worry ‘bout it” Tom said softly.  “It’s all up to you.”

Tom reached for Ennis’s arm, pulling his hand out of the pocket.  He held it gently between his own warm hands.  “You’re shaking, ya better come inside, I’ll get you a drink.”

Ennis followed Tom inside, and sat down at the table.  There was a new picture, of Tom and his friend, in a brown leather frame next to the salt shaker.  Ennis picked it up and held it in his trembling hands.  He stared at the picture , then put it back down.

“Wanna know somethin’?  I don’t even have a picture” Ennis said in a breaking voice.  “All those years, and not one single damn picture.”

Tom didn’t answer.  He poured two drinks and sat down beside Ennis.

“Not a single fuckin’ picture.”

Tom gave Ennis his drink.  Ennis tried to pick it up, but his hands were still cold and shaking.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 02:19:16 am by Cameron »

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1379 on: May 29, 2007, 11:24:37 am »
(Yeah, let's try to get this going again, I miss them too.  I'll try, I am a bit rusty, but here goes, continuation of 'The Neighbor'.)

The Chill in Summer
.  .   .
Ennis followed Tom inside, and sat down at the table.  There was a new picture, of Tom and his friend, in a brown leather frame next to the salt shaker.  Ennis picked it up and held it in his trembling hands.  He stared at the picture , then put it back down.

“Wanna know somethin’?  I don’t even have a picture” Ennis said in a breaking voice.  “All those years, and not one single damn picture.” 

So glad to see more of this, Marl!  Poor Ennis - regret may be the cruelest emotion of all. 

Thanks,
Marie