Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1198738 times)

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #1530 on: June 22, 2007, 06:04:27 pm »
Thank you so much Susie and Marie for your kind words. :)
(I guess we do think alike ;D, thanks for reading my story!!)

Susie, Janice, Cowboy and Milli,

Wonderful drabbles!!!! :D

Marl

Offline cwby30

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #1531 on: June 22, 2007, 07:25:49 pm »
Afternoon.

Well, thanks for all the kind words. Enjoy writing about the guys, and will keep adding to this story line as time goes by. The "prompts" do prompt me sometimes! Thanks for those 

Have a good weekend.

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1532 on: June 22, 2007, 08:58:37 pm »

Getting Ready

(September 1985)
Alma Jr. set the candles in the candleholders and placed the matches next to them.  She stepped back and looked at the set table, all her nicest things were out.  The plates of white china with the pink flowers that she bought from the old lady down the street, and the silverware from the partial set that Kurt’s mother gave to her after they got married.  They lay upon a white tablecloth with lace cutouts that her Momma gave her, right after they moved into the little house, but she didn’t visit much anymore.  Even with the baby.

“Kurt, they’ll be here soon, will you please get ready?  Please!!”  Kurt got off the couch and went to the refrigerator and took out another beer.

“Jeez, Alma” he said.  “I don’t get what all this fuss is about, just for your daddy.  What does he matter anyway? It’s not like he can give us any money.”

“Kurt, please, just this once, can’t you……can’t you just be nice?”  Alma pleaded, and stared at him, looking at despair at his old, torn blue jeans, and dirty t-shirt.  “Can’t you just get dressed nice, just this once?” she implored.  “At least put on that leather belt I got you, not that ugly rope thing you always wear.”

Kurt took his beer and went back to the couch.  Alma stared after him, and sighed, a long, deep sigh.  She went to the bedroom, and checked on the baby in the second hand crib.  She straightened the thin sheet over him, and gently touched his cheek.  Then she checked herself once more in the mirror, rubbing the darkness under her eyes, and then carefully closed the door.  She really hoped the baby would sleep for awhile, and not cry and cry like he always does this time of day.  She walked by the drab living room again.

“Kurt, please!!!!” she begged.

“What the fuck?” Kurt yelled.  “Who the hell is this guy that’s comin’ with your daddy anyway?  Who the fuck cares?”  He lit another cigarette, and turned to the tv once more.

Alma stared at him, then went to the front door.  She stepped outside.  There wasn’t a car on the road.  She slumped against the door. 

“I care” Alma Jr. said to herself.  She wanted it to be perfect this time.  She didn’t want anything to go wrong.  She already had far too many regrets in her life, she didn’t need one more.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1533 on: June 22, 2007, 10:03:58 pm »
Getting Ready

(September 1985)
Alma Jr. set the candles in the candleholders and placed the matches next to them.  She stepped back and looked at the set table, all her nicest things were out.  The plates of white china with the pink flowers that she bought from the old lady down the street, and the silverware from the partial set that Kurt’s mother gave to her after they got married.  They lay upon a white tablecloth with lace cutouts that her Momma gave her, right after they moved into the little house, but she didn’t visit much anymore.  Even with the baby. . . . .

. . . .“I care” Alma Jr. said to herself.  She wanted it to be perfect this time.  She didn’t want anything to go wrong.  She already had far too many regrets in her life, she didn’t need one more. 

Oh, dear . . . this made me so sad for Junior.  This first paragraph really struck a chord. The"special occasion"  items that we all collect in different ways, each with  their own signficance.   I'm anxious to see what happens next.

Thanks,
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1534 on: June 22, 2007, 10:53:21 pm »

Everyone has had such beautiful drabbles today.  My congratulations to all.  A great day
 here.  Im glad to see it going back up...                                           janice

Beautiful mind

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1535 on: June 23, 2007, 01:39:11 pm »

Cameron

My goodness,  Poor Jr.  She has all the weight of the world on her shoulders.  Not one new item in her home.  Her husband gives her no respect.  All that and a baby with colic. Poor   
thing.  I think she should get out there, maybe find someplace new...Meybe Texas... so sad....
            Very good....very good indeed..but sad.

Beautiful mind

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1536 on: June 23, 2007, 07:50:05 pm »
Thank you all so much, Janice, Susie,  Merrily and Marie!!!  I do appreciate it a lot.  :D

« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 09:20:22 pm by Cameron »

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1537 on: June 23, 2007, 09:27:23 pm »
Oh, Marie - that was so sad.  You could see that in the last Lake Scene.  He had lost his "glow."  Makes me cry that Bobbie could see it too.  Lovely writing.

Merrily

Thank you so much, Merrily.  Yes, his eyes in the Lake Scene are exactly what I envisioned when I was writing that drabble.  Sorry it was so sad - I actually depressed myself with my own dang drabble.

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1538 on: June 24, 2007, 08:21:18 am »
Hi everyone,

For today...

• coming through
  • freight train
  • kinky

Just for a little bit of fun on this reunion Sunday....  ;)

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline haunted_by_bbm

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • "didn't know we was gonna get into this again..."
    • Panels of the Dream: Brokeback Mountain Stories
« Reply #1539 on: June 24, 2007, 08:52:31 pm »

Kinky 

“Aint gonna do it!” 

“Ennis…”

“No!

“Shit...don’t see why you gotta get all upset ‘bout it.  Was just an idea.”

“Aint right!  Aint normal!!  Aint the way it’s s’posed to be!!!” 

“Just a little fun.  Aint no big deal.”   

“NO!” 

“Why?”

“Cuz it’s…it’s…it’s fuckin’ kinky, that’s why!” 

“Aint nobody’s business but ours!”   

“Shit!”

“Well, fuck it then. Hell with you!  Was just tryin’ to keep things interestin’.  Tryin’ to spice things up is all.”

Ennis sighed, finally giving up completely. 

“And why exactly does spicin’  things up have to include salsa on my dick?”   

Jack smiled, reaching for the jar.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

100 Words 

« Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 09:06:02 pm by haunted_by_bbm »
"The room stank of semen and smoke and sweat and whiskey, of old carpet and sour hay, saddle leather, shit and cheap soap.  Ennis lay spread-eagled, spent and wet, breathing deep, still half tumescent, Jack blowing forceful cigarette clouds like whale spouts..." – Annie Proulx