Author Topic: Where was Ennis coming from? Going to?  (Read 16877 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: Where was Ennis coming from? Going to?
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2006, 02:46:41 pm »

By thew wayt what does Alma see in Ennis? He doesn't have any money, career prospects, etc etc, a good provider, in pre-womens lib world... Then again, expectations of life might have been different in rural America in 1963.

He was handsome, for one thing, and sexy. I am sure she was overwhelmed at the thought of a plain girl like her having this handsome hunk of a man being in love with her. Also--we never saw "pre-Jack" Ennis when he was dating her and falling in love (well, he *thought* he was in love with her). I suspect that she saw some of the things that we all find so endearing: his cute little smile, his shy/sweet personality when he allowed himself to open up a little bit.

She probably saw him as dependable and it seems they both had a wish (at the beginning, at least) to have lots of children. It was only when the reality of what childrearing entailed hit her (the need for money) that she changed her mind on that score. Remember, she was pregnant at Thanksgiving so she was back on the baby-track in her second marriage.

I sometimes can't imagine what it must have been like for her. Here she gets engaged, he goes off for a summer job and comes back a changed man--and she has no clue as to what is going on. She probably thought that once they got married things would "get better" but anyone who reads "Dear Abby" knows that never happens.
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2006, 03:09:34 pm »
By thew wayt what does Alma see in Ennis?

Tell you what, I must confess that I have secretly asked myself the same question about Jack: What did he see in Ennis?

It's very easy for me to see how and why a desperately lonely soul like Ennis could fall hopelessly in love with Jack. Jack is outgoing, funny, and demonstrates time and again that he is a sensitive and caring person.

In contrast, aside from the fact that Ennis is handsome, at least until Jack gets him to open up, Ennis reminds me of what Alice Roosevelt said of Calving Coolidge, that he looked like he'd been weaned on a dill pickle, he's that uptight.

It really must have been love. ...  :)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2006, 03:26:08 pm »
I totally see why Jack would be attracted to Ennis! He is steady, dependable, honest and trust worthy, capable, funny and appreciates Jack. Who doesn't love someone who thinks you're great?! As sad as I am about them never getting together, I can't help but relate it to my situation with my own Ennis. For 20 years he told me he loved me but that he would never marry me (don't ask)-he meant it. For me to think something would change was my issue not his. I feel similarly for Ennis and Jack. Ennis repeatedly tells Jack that they can't be together the way Jack wants yet Jack holds on-as he is want to do. At some point you have to realize that you are sealing your own fate.

O0

Heathen

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2006, 03:32:35 pm »
Ennis repeatedly tells Jack that they can't be together the way Jack wants yet Jack holds on-as he is want to do. At some point you have to realize that you are sealing your own fate.

Agreed!  :)
With Ennis it was: what you see is what you get! Jack knew that, but couldn't quit him, it definitely was love.  Jack was adventurous, I bet he loved a challenge, and Ennis was one, undoubtedly!  I guess Jack saw him as a diamond in a ruff, getting to know Ennis was probably abit like a treasure hunt, he had some endearing qualities and only Jack seemed to have the diligence and patience to dig 'em out and appreciate them.

Offline opinionista

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2006, 03:35:32 pm »
For those who missed the links I posted above, there is a Signal Mountain in Wyoming. Here's the link:
http://www.planetware.com/wyoming/signal-mountain-us-wy-sig.htm

Brokeback Mountain was in the BigHorns. Am I  correct? Jack tells his wife he goes fishing way up there in Wy because the Big Horns aren't in Texas. Good excuse

Brokeback Mountain was not in the Big Horns. According to the short story Ennis and Jack never return to Brokeback Mountain, they went anywhere but there.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2006, 03:41:38 pm »
I totally see why Jack would be attracted to Ennis! He is steady, dependable, honest and trust worthy, capable, funny and appreciates Jack. Who doesn't love someone who thinks you're great?!

Quite true, and I'm not disagreeing with them. But those are qualities that are "more real than apparent." You get to know them about somebody over time. You don't see them right away, especially the steady, dependable, honest, and trusthworthy part. It's always appeared to me that Jack is in love with Ennis before he's had enough time to really get to know him. I wasn't clear on that position, and I apologize for that.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2006, 03:44:46 pm »
Now, see, I'm feelin those things from Ennis pretty much up-front. I think he exibits those qualities pretty much from the get go. Their attraction to each other is rooted (IMNSHO) in their lonliness.

O0

Heathen

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2006, 03:46:42 pm »
I totally see why Jack would be attracted to Ennis! He is steady, dependable, honest and trust worthy, capable, funny and appreciates Jack. Who doesn't love someone who thinks you're great?!

Quite true, and I'm not disagreeing with them. But those are qualities that are "more real than apparent." You get to know them about somebody over time. You don't see them right away, especially the steady, dependable, honest, and trusthworthy part. It's always appeared to me that Jack is in love with Ennis before he's had enough time to really get to know him. I wasn't clear on that position, and I apologize for that.

Personally, I fall in love very quickly--and have been known to fall out of love when I get to know the person better. I guess I am not one of the cautious people--I hand my heart right over, silver platter and all. Maybe Jack and I share that quality.

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2006, 04:04:54 pm »
Their attraction to each other is rooted (IMNSHO) in their lonliness.

Now, that makes perfect sense. I am totally buying that explanation for why they fell in love with each other so quickly. Really, I am! These were two very lonely boys, especially Ennis. But as for the steady, dependability part, no, it takes time for someone to demonstrate that they're dependable. I don't buy that you can really know that about someone right from the get-go.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2006, 04:16:45 pm »
That's kind of a funny question, what did Alma see in Ennis? Well, what did Cassie see in him? What did Jack see in him? What about Annie Proulx, Ossana and McMurtry and millions of us? Aside from the fact that he is eye candy and a bona fide Marlboro Man, Ennis is certainly not vain or stuck up, and he has an air of a little lost boy who needs to be loved. Plus he represents a challenge that any red-blooded female would relish. Irresistable!
"chewing gum and duct tape"