Author Topic: Old soul?  (Read 13198 times)

Offline j.U.d.E.

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Old soul?
« on: April 18, 2006, 12:29:58 pm »
A question -

Someone here once qualified Jake as being an 'old soul'. Although I have some kind of idea what it means, I'd like to hear it from you. I thought I'd find tons of stuff on the internet, but that wasn't really the case.. What I found was this:

"There are a number of factors to take into consideration when calling one an old soul. First of all it has nothing to do with ones age in this incarnation. For example, a four year old child may be an old soul, yet an eighty year old person may be a young soul. One thing for sure is that an old soul seems to have had many reincarnations on Earth or other places for that matter. But most important they have brought with them a sense of spiritual wisdom through the learning processes of previous incarnations. Old souls are also people of strong emotional stability."

But how can you say this about Jake (or others), without knowing them. I mean it's not like he told you he as been re-incarnated 23 times. Is it the eyes? Is it what that person says? The way they talk? Is it an attitude? Again, how would you be able to say that about someone you only know through your tv screen? Yesterday on E! they talked about Dakota Fanning (she's about 12) as having a 115 year old soul.

I also found this - http://www.blogthings.com/whatkindofsoulareyouquiz/

Apparently I am a 'Prophet Soul' - "You are a gentle soul, with good intentions toward everyone. Selfless and kind, you have great faith in people. Sometimes this faith can lead to disappoinment in the long run. No matter what, you deal with everything in a calm and balanced way. You are a good interpreter, very sensitive, intuitive, caring, and gentle. Concerned about the world, you are good at predicting people's feelings. A seeker of wisdom, you are a life long learner looking for purpose and meaning. You are a great thinker and communicator, but not necessarily a doer. Souls you are most compatible with: Bright Star Soul and Dreaming Soul" 

Which I agree with only in parts! True is the 'life long learner bit'.. less true the 'great thinker and communicator'..  But I'd consider myself a 'doer'. So, who's a Bright Star or Deaming Soul amongst you?  ;D

And this -

Q: What is an 'old soul'? The context in which I hear it indicates that it means "simpleton".
A1: I thought that if someone has an 'old soul', they are wise beyond their years. Obviously, a conflict here.
A2: I think it has to do with the religious belief of reincarnation. A person "comes back" and gains new understanding with each lifetime. So an 'old soul' would be one that has experienced many lives and appears wise beyond his or her years. The person may be young but this "ain't his first time at the rodeo."

The last part of the 2nd answer I thought was quite interesting, if you know what I mean..  ;)

What other actors or celebrities would you qualify as being an 'old soul'? Who qualifies? And - are you an 'old soul' or do you have an old 'soul'?

~ j U d E
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
Re: Old soul?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 12:36:50 pm »
That's a term I use when I see a certain knowingness in a person's eyes.  When my son was born, the moment he looked at me, he was utterly connected.  But not just to me - to everything - he focused intently on everything he looked at.  He didn't have those kind of swimming eyes newborns usually have because they of course can barely see.  It's as if he could, and very clearly.  From the beginning.  I guess it's the sense you get looking in someone's eyes that they've been around this life a whole lot longer than their age would imply.  There's a sort of laughter in their eyes all the time that seemingly only comes from vast experience.  Does that make any sense?  And yes, I'd call Jake an old soul given those qualifications.
No more beans!

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 12:45:45 pm »
I don't see Jack as an "old soul". I love him but I don't see him as having wisdom beyond his years or any particular insight into life. I do see him, in the movie, as a man with an open heart and a willingless to give everything of himself.

Heathen

Offline YaadPyar

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 12:57:21 pm »

I don't see Jack as an "old soul". I love him but I don't see him as having wisdom beyond his years or any particular insight into life. I do see him, in the movie, as a man with an open heart and a willingless to give everything of himself.

We're talking about Jake Gyllenhall, not Jack Twist, right?  The last  definition is the one I understand (A2: I think it has to do with the religious belief of reincarnation. A person "comes back" and gains new understanding with each lifetime. So an 'old soul' would be one that has experienced many lives and appears wise beyond his or her years. The person may be young but this "ain't his first time at the rodeo."). 

I think Jake always being so thoughtful in his approach to life, his career, the social impact of what he's doing...is what makes folks say that about him.  He's not partying his young life away, getting caught at clubs and appearing in tabloids.  He seems to be very thoughtful (can't think of another word) and interested in the meaning behind what he's doing.
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2006, 08:22:31 pm »
I read this expression all the time, and I usually take it rather literally.  So that means that usually the person the moniker is attached to fails to live up to it.  These 'old souls' in young bodies make the same mistakes in life that 'young souls' in young bodies make.

If someone wants to believe that about themselves, then sure, but I find it hard to think that about anyone who doesn't show some sort of evidence of it.

Jake has goofed up before, but what he does is learn quickly from his mistakes.  He reminds me of a young JFK, Jr.  That guy knew the meaning of the word discretion.

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2006, 08:27:22 pm »
I don't think of Jack or Ennis as "Old Souls".  To me, they are both "Lost Souls".  :'(

Offline Flashframe777

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • autumn auteur
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2006, 11:00:40 pm »
I subscribe to the belief that all souls were created at the same time, making every soul the same age. Wisdom comes from life experience.  I believe Jake is definitely a wise soul.
"yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream"

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2006, 12:04:15 am »
Oh Jake?

Nope, not even remotely.

Heathen

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2006, 02:34:45 am »
Hi Jude, thanks, I liked taking the quizlet about what kind of soul I am.  Here's what I got:

You Are a Visionary Soul
You are a curious person, always in a state of awareness.
Connected to all things spiritual, you are very connected to your soul.
You are wise and bright: able to reason and be reasonable.
Occasionally, you get quite depressed and have dark feelings.

You have great vision and can be very insightful.
In fact, you are often profound in a way that surprises yourself.
Visionary souls like you can be the best type of friend.
You are intuitive, understanding, sympathetic, and a good healer.

Souls you are most compatible with: Old Soul and Peacemaker Soul

vkm91941

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2006, 02:54:12 am »
Hey Jude, that was fun...I took it too and this is what it said:

***You Are a Peacemaker Soul***

You strive to please others and compromise anyway you can.
War or conflict bothers you, and you would do anything to keep the peace.
You are a good mediator and a true negotiator.
Sometimes you do too much, trying so hard to make people happy.

While you keep the peace, you tend to be secretly judgmental.
You lose respect for people who don't like to both give and take.
On the flip side, you've got a graet sense of humor and wit.
You're always dimplomatic and able to give good advice.

Souls you are most compatible with: Warrior Soul, Hunter Soul and Visionary Soul