Author Topic: Like I, you want a Brokeback Mountain II, yes a second film??  (Read 20697 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: Like I, you want a Brokeback Mountain II, yes a second film??
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2007, 12:37:49 am »
No, I wouldn't want a sequel to BBM anymore than I would want a sequel to 'Romeo and Juliet'.  Some movies say what they intend to say and that's enough.

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2007, 08:42:20 am »
Thanks delalluvia!

Would you see such a sequel, if that was made?

Hugs!

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2007, 09:29:05 pm »
Thanks delalluvia!

Would you see such a sequel, if that was made?

Hugs!

No.  It would be like trying to add on to perfection.  Some things are signposts in life and this movie is one of them.

I have this personal quirk, if I think a movie/book/TV character has been through enough and there is a satisfying stopping point, I stop watching/reading/following the character.  To  me, this chosen point is where the characters' story ended and they disappeared into history.

One book series I loved is now at 7 volumes.  I thought the characters suffered enough, had a happy landing at the end of book 3 and stopped reading.  One movie series I loved I stopped watching at movie 2,  The characters had suffered enough and deserved a happy ending.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2007, 11:21:24 am »
Thanks delalluvia!

I can understand what you say. And accept that too!! And I do not want that neither! I prefer news!

However, if something is perfection... that is impossble, because we can only aim at that! Therefore, one remake, another movie or a serie, is needed. That does not mean that the main charactors need to be badly done! There are more positive points to Ennis and Jack that need to be presented, I feel!!

The film is too sad, so far!! And too abrupt!!

Plus, the violence is way too  much!! Even that needs to be addressed, you know?

Awaiting you news,

hugs!!

Offline ghent

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2007, 08:08:22 pm »
I don't want a Brokeback II. The most important character died. What's the point?  If there's a sequel, it should mirror the fanfic 'Once Was Lost'. 

Offline Artiste

« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2007, 09:53:48 pm »
Thanks ghent!!

The film is NOT that good!! In many ways, it could be better. Even if it can be considered already a classic!!

The main character died, yes, but how? Killed because he was a gay man?? That is one reason, for a sequel!
Plenty of other reasons too!!

You guessing of some??

Hugs!!

Offline ghent

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2007, 12:23:32 am »
Absolutely not. What could be accomplished. Showing Ennis living as an old man who dies broken and lonely? I couldn't bear to see him with anyone but Jack and he wouldn't want to be with anyone but Jack.

Actually, I think that the biggest problem with this movie is that it overstates the significance of the J/E relationship. I don't think that Ennis was the love of Jack's life.  Annie Proulx probably killed off Jack not because she wanted to highlight the tragic 'Romeo and Juliet' quality of the film, but because that is the standard formula for many short stories/movies about gays : someone has to die, usually the gayest one.

The tragedy of the story is that Jack spent his life chasing a hopelessly dysfunctional, maddeningly incurious, pathologically hypocritical, psychosexually confused straight man who believed that his infrequent couplings with Jack were nothing more than the the libidinous equivalent of a bad toothache that he couldn't get rid of. The tragedy of this story is that Jack wasted his life chasing after a lost cause, not that Jack and Ennis were never allowed to spend their lives together.

Ennis was as dead and lifeless as a man as the prairie landscape he surrounded himself with. That Jack spent his life chasing after someone so completely incapable of giving love in a healthy manner to anyone is truly tragic.

The Jack Twist character was so courageous and forward thinking. The only mistakes he made were that he fell in love with the wrong person (Ennis) and married the wrong person (Lureen). He should have moved to a more progressive rural community, settled down and left Ennis behind.

If Ennis had died (and he was already dead man walking) and Jack had lived, then I'd be the first person in line for a sequel because then we'd have a chance to see a gay life truly lived.

With my post-Stonewall sensibility, I have absolutely no interest in the Ennises of the world.

Thanks ghent!!

The film is NOT that good!! In many ways, it could be better. Even if it can be considered already a classic!!

The main character died, yes, but how? Killed because he was a gay man??

Yes, and in the eyes of many heterosexuals, early death is the ultimate end for gay men, through a tire iron, alchohol poisoning or AIDS. Take your pick. The implicit message is that Ennis didn't die because he wasn't truly gay. I don't need a sequel to get the point.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2007, 03:41:58 pm »
[Thanks/b] ghent!

It is very revealing what you say! Very much so!!

Because too many so-called straights in society  (not all but too many) want us gay men dead before our time, that is one reason I want another film so that it be shown we are truly humans and do not derserve such murderings just because we are homosexuals!!

What do you say to that?? Or any other idea??

Hugs!

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2007, 06:33:27 am »
Artiste, mon ami, I have not posted for weeks, since before the bbq. How are you?

Your artists's eye would have fallen in love with Wyoming...
"I couldn't stand it no more so i fixed it"

Offline Clyde-B

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2007, 07:55:25 am »
  Annie Proulx probably killed off Jack not because she wanted to highlight the tragic 'Romeo and Juliet' quality of the film, but because that is the standard formula for many short stories/movies about gays : someone has to die, usually the gayest one.

In a way yes and in a way no.

The forbidden love genre has one or both of the lovers paying a high price for violating society's norms.

But Annie Proulx has taken that genre and stood it on its head.  Jack didn't die for societal reasons.  Jack died so that Ennis would find the shirts and come to realize that not only had he loved Jack, but Jack had loved him in return.

People don't leave this movie secure in the knowledge that this is the way things should be.  People leave the movie asking "Why did this have to happen?"

Annie has used the forbidden love formula to move us into the romance genre.