Author Topic: Bitch, Bitch, Bitch  (Read 370555 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Bitch, Bitch, Bitch
« Reply #410 on: November 30, 2007, 11:23:25 pm »
She talks about her daughter getting on welfare and having her baby on the public dole at a community hospital as perfectly fine and normal.

Unfortunately I think this sort of attitude isn't exactly rare. I mean, I've read about young women in certain communities whose goal--goal--was to graduate from high school and go on welfare (at least they wanted to graduate from high school).

And about others who think that having a baby before they are old enough to have a driver's license gives them status in their community.

I mean, WTF?  ???  :P
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

injest

« Reply #411 on: November 30, 2007, 11:53:15 pm »
Unfortunately I think this sort of attitude isn't exactly rare. I mean, I've read about young women in certain communities whose goal--goal--was to graduate from high school and go on welfare (at least they wanted to graduate from high school).

And about others who think that having a baby before they are old enough to have a driver's license gives them status in their community.

I mean, WTF?  ???  :P

I have a friend that worked in a Kmart.....she said a couple of teenage girls (both with babies and one pregnant) came in and got mad cause they couldn't return their crap and were sneering at her and one told the other..."We may be on welfare but at least we aren't working at KMART!!"

OY!!

so being on welfare is better than working for a living....

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #412 on: December 01, 2007, 12:03:15 am »
"We may be on welfare but at least we aren't working at KMART!!"

OY!!

so being on welfare is better than working for a living....

Geez. ...  :-\  Sigh. ...  :(
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #413 on: December 01, 2007, 12:13:53 am »
If something terrible has happened in one's life and one needs the parachute of welfare and community hospitalization - that's one thing.

But this isn't that sort of thing.  The daughter's situation was COMPLETELY preventable.

She is just displaying the irresponsibility, selfishness and complete lack of ability to learn anything from experience - my friend was widowed young.  Her daughter certainly remembers how hard it was trying to live on a single woman's salary.

And what does she do?  Get herself knocked up when she has no job, no money, no stable relationship with the father, has not finished her degree, has no real job skills, no means by which to raise a child properly much less pay for the pre-natal care required for a healthy baby.  She has shown none of the foresight, planning and maturity that raising a child is going to demand. 

I've no idea why her mother is optimistic about her daughter's ability to raise a child and make her relationship with her boyfriend 'work'.   ::)

injest

« Reply #414 on: December 01, 2007, 12:18:23 am »
can you say "Denial"??

I think most people do live in a fantasy world half the time

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #415 on: December 01, 2007, 12:26:10 am »
She has shown none of the foresight, planning and maturity that raising a child is going to demand.

Y'know, I can just never understand that kind of thing.  I'm in a good marriage, my husband would make a great dad to a child, we have a nice home, we're conscientious people, etc. etc.  But I still worry like hell about what kind of parent I would be.  It's the biggest responsibility in the world, IMO, and it scares me shiitless.  I just can't fathom how some people can take it all so casually, and get into it so carelessly.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #416 on: December 01, 2007, 12:28:39 am »
I've no idea why her mother is optimistic about her daughter's ability to raise a child and make her relationship with her boyfriend 'work'.   ::)

Especially since she apparently didn't do such a hot job--or maybe her daughter wouldn't be in the situation she's in.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #417 on: December 01, 2007, 12:29:58 am »
Y'know, I can just never understand that kind of thing.  I'm in a good marriage, my husband would make a great dad to a child, we have a nice home, we're conscientious people, etc. etc.  But I still worry like hell about what kind of parent I would be.  It's the biggest responsibility in the world, IMO, and it scares me shiitless.  I just can't fathom how some people can take it all so casually.

People as self-aware as you need to reproduce Laura, otherwise the world is going to be full of people like my friend's daughter who breeds so heedlessly that it's almost criminal.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #418 on: December 01, 2007, 12:35:27 am »
Especially since she apparently didn't do such a hot job--or maybe her daughter wouldn't be in the situation she's in.

She's a crappy mother.  Her excuse is that she was in such an abusive family she didn't know how to be a good mother or what it was to be a good parent.

I don't really buy this rationale, though.

She may have had a Valium/alcohol addicted, emotionally distant mother and a wealthy, completely abusive narcissistic wealthy father but she had a wonderful grandmother.  Why didn't she learn from her?  Did she graduate from high school unable to read self-help books or was so blind she didn't watch TV and see syrupy sweet TV families which to emulate?

I don't get it.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #419 on: December 10, 2007, 07:50:54 pm »
My bitch for today:

The use of the phrase "sexual preference" instead of "sexual orientation."

I'm sorry, IMNSHO, preference implies choice. I did not choose to be gay. It's just the way I am. (As has been so often said, given the homophobia that gay people face, who in their right mind would choose to be gay?)

I might prefer steak to pork chops for supper, but one's sexuality isn't like picking something from a menu.  It's the way I am orientated. >:(