Author Topic: Bitch, Bitch, Bitch  (Read 367723 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: Bitch, Bitch, Bitch
« Reply #230 on: August 17, 2007, 11:09:38 pm »
gawd, del, yuck! Hope the rant made you fele better in some way!

Unfortunately not.

The world angst I can do nothing about.

As for my job...I would quit and find another job if I wasn't just trading one office for another.  When I leave, I want a career change to something I actually like instead of something that pays decently.  But of course, the difficult caveat is that I don't want to take a paycut to start over in a new field.

I would feel better blowing off steam if it wasn't for the fact that the COO isn't the only workaholic.  My two counterparts, people who do the same job as I but for different clients, are both workaholics or badly need the overtime. One lady works 13 hour days during the week.  She only leaves because our computer system goes down at 10 pm. 

The other lady regularly works 10-11 hour days during the week and comes in for a full 8 hours on the weekend.

So, of course, my complaining falls on deaf ears because if they can find time in their lives to work 55-70 hour work weeks, why can't I?  They're showing their dedication not me.

They like to stand around and complain how overworked we are and why doesn't the company hire enough people, but they're full of shit.  I have told them and told them and told them,

"It's cheaper for the company to pay YOU overtime than to hire a new person.  The more you're willing to work crazy hours, the more they're willing to let you.  They're not going to hire another person, pay salary and benefits when you are willing to work all this overtime.  If you stop, work reasonable hours and our task loads start to stack up unacceptably, that will force the company to hire new people to help."

But of course, they won't.  They like the money/have no social life to speak of/have deluded themselves into believing this is some sort of job security and I'm stuck as the non-team player.  >:(

injest

« Reply #231 on: August 17, 2007, 11:14:48 pm »
Dev

I don't know what to tell you about that situation. But I know you are one of the smartest, most outspoken people I know. You deserve better. Not every office is the same. Please think of looking for something else. Better the unknown than the evil you know...

(so easy for me to say from the security of my home I know... :P :-\ )

but you do deserve better.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #232 on: August 19, 2007, 04:32:02 pm »
Thanks for the positive thoughts Jess.  They're much appreciated.   :-*

OK, here's my bitch of the day.  It's more like "Bitch Lite".

The only 'reality' show I like to watch is "What Not to Wear".  Makeovers are always fun to watch.

But even I have stopped watching this show after a while because I started noticing trends that I don't particularly like and/or can't bear to watch.

I noticed that they tend to go with a body type that they can make over.

The body types they pick are the type that are not the usual in this country:

heavy but long-legged waistless
tall, slenderish shapeless
very small slenderish shapeless
or hourglass figured

For these types it doesn't matter if this body type is overweight much or not, because they can use the person's new clothes type to give them a shape, a waist and play up their long nice (slim) legs.

I noticed they do not choose guests who have the body shape that the majority of women in this country have -

5'5' women overweight with round tummies, wide hips and meaty thighs

And why?  Because no amount of nice clothes and tailoring is going to make these women's bodies look good.  Tailored jackets will not close over ballooning stomachs, no pants wide enough to clear protruding stomachs and wide hips will look flattering on shortish thick-thighed legs.  Skirts will not help either since they would have to be at least down to the knees to avoid the fleshy parts above the knees.

So the show simply ignores women who have this body type.  The subtle message is, there is nothing these fashion experts can do that will help.

Secondly, and this ties into this type of women they choose for their shows, they pick either outlandishly extroverted women or these sad, pathetic women whose body posture and overwrought body images just scream lack of self-esteem and "leave me alone, I want to be a wall flower!".

It makes me sad that these women - some of whom look and should stride the world as glamazons if they would just take care of themselves better - have been so beaten down by their upbringing or family or faith that they cannot bear to hold up their heads and live their lives as if they mattered.  They slouch, they stubbornly refuse to show an inch of skin or improve their styles and take this strange kind of pride in clinging to their old ways.  I guess this is some sort of security blanket for them.  One woman makes fun of her own very lovely ethnic curly kinky hair - holding it up like horns - oh, I look like an antelope.  But when offered a chance to shape and restyle and change the look of her hair to something different and possibly more manageable and admirable, she refuses.  This is me!, she proudly exclaims.  Betcha though she went right back to poking fun of herself and her hair.

WTF?

Another woman wouldn't show any skin below her collarbone due to 'modesty'.  I wondered what fundamentalist compound she was raised in and if she'd feel more comfortable in a bourkha.  What does this woman wear to the beach?  What in the world made this woman so ashamed of showing her own body?

Yet another woman refused to cut her long fabulous hair.  The fact that it dragged down her look, was not shaped nor cared for very well and she invariably just tied it into a bun when she went to work - i.e. she couldn't do anything with her fabulously long hair but wear it up or down and so just wore it up all the time to keep it out of her way - didn't matter.  She was going to 'stand up for herself' and she felt proud about this.  The fact that she will not keep her hair in any better condition nor change her style that she's worn her whole life is actually pathetic.  She's a young lovely woman, in the prime of her life and to be so unwilling to experiment with new things in life especially for something that will grow back like hair is strangely sad.

What made these women accept roles on a makeover show if they weren't going to allow themselves to be made over?   ??? ??? ???
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 08:56:46 pm by delalluvia »

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #233 on: August 19, 2007, 04:35:28 pm »
All valid points Delalluvia. But I still watch that show. Did you see the one about the "visible thong"?  :laugh:

They reaired it yesterday.  :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #234 on: August 19, 2007, 04:39:51 pm »
All valid points Delalluvia. But I still watch that show. Did you see the one about the "visible thong"?  :laugh:

They reaired it yesterday.  :)

Yes.  LOL!  They've been advertising for next week's show - "Where are they now?", but I'm afraid I might want to watch - to see which women backslid, taking pride in returning to being dumpy and fashion disasters.

Offline pettifogger

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Just passin through
« Reply #235 on: August 19, 2007, 04:55:02 pm »
The expectations of productivity placed on workers by corporate America is appalling.  I personally am convinced that the stress this causes in the reason we see so many obituaries for people in their 40's and early 50's in the paper these days.  The deaths of so many young people has risen dramatically in the last 15 years
You and I are travelers just passing through this earth

Offline dot-matrix

• www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #236 on: August 19, 2007, 07:18:13 pm »
I've begun to notice that too Pettifogger.  I've heard of 5 people from college who have died in the last year or so.  And seems every time I look at he paper the obit are full of younger folks.  What's up with that.
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #237 on: August 21, 2007, 08:55:43 pm »
Another "Bitch Lite" of the day:

People who talk loud.  The more animated/intense the conversation becomes the louder and louder and louder they get until they're all but shouting.  If you shush them once, it's like they got slapped, but the problem is, they look embarassed, lower their voices, but then their tone creeps up and up and up and you realize this is how they speak at home, so they don't even notice how loud and obnoxious they are and if you shush them again, they get resentful and you feel like a martinet.

I've left my cubical and walked 30 feet away to a printer/copier and could still hear and understand quite clearly every single word my cubical neighbor was saying.   >:(

injest

« Reply #238 on: August 21, 2007, 11:30:42 pm »
ARGH!

My SISTER does this, Del! Good grief...it is worse in the car...she will talk so loud my EAR hurts! and if you say anything she BLOWS up and the rest of the trip will be a living hell.

gives me a headache.... :P

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #239 on: August 22, 2007, 08:28:09 pm »
ARGH!

My SISTER does this, Del! Good grief...it is worse in the car...she will talk so loud my EAR hurts! and if you say anything she BLOWS up and the rest of the trip will be a living hell.

gives me a headache.... :P

Jess and Del - separated at birth.  ;D