Author Topic: Lawsuit over Brokeback Mountain in class  (Read 18289 times)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: Lawsuit over Brokeback Mountain in class
« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2007, 02:10:32 pm »
I would like to see something other than the A.P. news release, because that news release is quite sketchy.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2007, 04:31:11 pm »

I will put my two cents in here, if i may.  I agree with those who say that the teacher was showing, a
total lack of judgement, and if not otherwise, disregarding what she had to have known was a movie that would have not been approved by the authorities.  Otherwise she would not have made such a disclaimer, as "close the doors, or : what is in this class stays in this class."  The least of what she can be charged with is stupidity, and otherwise outright disobedience of policy.
     Now having said all that, I think in my opinion, the sex was the least likely to be traumatizing in this movie.
The graphic murder scene being the most shocking, and probably the most damaging.  Secondly all the knowledge of lies and deceit, and affairs...Lastly without a guidance to children of this age, never mind the lasting damage in fear that could be visited on a young child.  To me this was on a par, although a movie, is not the same as real life.  It is a lot like what is done to Ennis when he was a child....
     Can you imagine how one of those children having not been given good guidance, before...if they might be grappling with the gender identification problem...ie, lesbianism, gay or such....DEVASTATING........

Beautiful mind

moremojo

« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2007, 05:06:08 pm »
I wonder, though, how many twelve-year-olds might even be able to grasp the emotional nuances of the story and how it is conveyed. So much of the theme hinges on regret--and regret tends to accrue as we advance through life, often with many decades behind us. I think much, if not indeed all of the film would likely go over most children's heads.

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2007, 05:28:51 pm »
I actually find it hard to believe that kid was actually traumatized. In any case, she was bored, and so were her classmates. This isn't the kind of movie that a 12 year old would like to see in the first place. Not because of the gay content because it is a slow, romantic movie. As for the violence, I doubt it actually hurt the girl. Come on people, children are exposed to much more violence than it is shown in Brokeback. I'm sure all of them have seen Superman, Spiderman, Batman, Star Wars, etc... that contain much more violence than BBM does.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2007, 06:46:22 pm »
I agree with you, Natali.  And again, I think that the fact that no one has gone out of their way to say that her trauma *wasn't* caused by the gay content speaks volumes.
No more beans!

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #65 on: May 16, 2007, 11:07:01 pm »
I agree with you, Natali.  And again, I think that the fact that no one has gone out of their way to say that her trauma *wasn't* caused by the gay content speaks volumes.

I think they're trying to imply that without actually saying it.  Otherwise, why would a movie about cheating spouses and violence 'traumatize' a 12 year old when she can see that daily on daytime and prime-time TV soap operas?

moremojo

« Reply #66 on: May 17, 2007, 09:53:01 am »
I just to got to thinking, that the eviscerated sheep could be quite upsetting to a child. Surely not enough to constitute litigation-worthy trauma, but it could definitely haunt a young person for a while after having seen it.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #67 on: May 17, 2007, 10:10:50 am »
I agree, there are some things in the movie that are potentially disturbing. But -- while emphasizing that I think the teacher was wrong and I am not advocating BBM as appropriate fare for a classroom of 12-year-olds -- there are worse things in the world than being disturbed by a work of art.

Heck, there are worse things in the world that 12-year-olds and everybody else should find disturbing! For example, I rented "Hotel Rwanda" to watch with my kids. The movie has no sex or nudity, and isn't even particularly graphically violent. But it is, and should be, disturbing.

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #68 on: May 17, 2007, 09:19:11 pm »
I just to got to thinking, that the eviscerated sheep could be quite upsetting to a child. Surely not enough to constitute litigation-worthy trauma, but it could definitely haunt a young person for a while after having seen it.

When my little niece is watching nature programs, and she is about to watch a wolf or fox or something run down a rabbit or deer, I pretty much just hold her, tell her how sad it is for the rabbit/bird/deer, but everybody has to eat.  Maybe the wolf/fox had babies to feed.  She accepts this now as a sad part of life, but a part of life nonetheless.  A dog getting hit by a car is more disturbing IMO.  There's no reason nor anything natural about that but yet that, too, happens every day where children can see it.