Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 9097082 times)

Offline Sophia

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Your elbows, try to lick them
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #10840 on: April 04, 2012, 03:30:27 pm »
Hi, Chuck!  Actually it's my first trip of 2012.  So far this year, I've just been busy with doctor's appointments and reading and basketball and many other things about the house.

As for trips,  I leave next Friday for Pittsburgh, and then will catch the tour bus to SC and Georgia for a week, returning home from Pittsburgh the following Sunday (April 22).  On April 26, I fly to Denver for about a month.  And then only one weekend at home (as planned at this time) before flying up to Boston for the first week of June.

I did just get a phone call this morning from the woman in Pittsburgh who will be traveling with me on the bus, so that makes it seem more "real."  I'd better get started with packing soon.

Safe travel Debbie.

Looking forward to hear more about your travels a cross the country. :-*

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #10841 on: April 04, 2012, 03:42:09 pm »
from Yahoo:

Madonna keeps pop crown, "MDNA" tops Billboard chart
By Piya Sinha-Roy | Reuters – 12 hrs ago

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Madonna retained the title Queen of Pop by taking the throne of the Billboard 200 album chart for the eighth time on Tuesday, as her latest album "MDNA" beat Lionel Richie's country themed "Tuskegee" to the top of the weekly sales list.

Madonna's 12th studio album, dedicated to club-friendly dance tracks, sold 359,000 copies in its first week according to Nielsen SoundScan, despite lukewarm reviews from critics and minimal promotional appearances by the singer.

:laugh:

I was actually coming here to post about this, and ya beat me to it!

I did find out a very interesting fact about Madonna's #1 album track record.  Madonna has had #1 albums in the 80s ("Like A Virgin", "True Blue" & "Like A Prayer"), in the 00s ("Music", "American Life", "Confessions On The Dancefloor", "Hard Candy") and now the 10s ("MDNA").

However, she had ZERO #1 ablums in the 90s.  LOL  She came thisclose, hitting the #2 spot 5 times with "I'm Breathless", "The Immaculate Collection", "Erotica", "Evita soundtrack" and "Ray Of Light".

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline dejavu

« Reply #10842 on: April 04, 2012, 03:47:57 pm »
Safe travel Debbie.

Looking forward to hear more about your travels a cross the country. :-*

Thanks!  And I forgot to mention that I'm going to NYC by train this Saturday to see a play, but that just one day, the day before Easter.  I'll be home by Saturday night.   :)
Jack's from Texas.
Texans don't drink coffee?

Offline dejavu

« Reply #10843 on: April 04, 2012, 03:49:52 pm »
However, she had ZERO #1 ablums in the 90s.  LOL  She came thisclose, hitting the #2 spot 5 times with "I'm Breathless", "The Immaculate Collection", "Erotica", "Evita soundtrack" and "Ray Of Light".

Oh, well, Chuck.  You can't exactly say she had retired during the 90s, with that many #2 albums.
Jack's from Texas.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #10844 on: April 05, 2012, 08:29:28 am »
Hello Bettermost friends!

I hope that everyone is doing well today!  ;D

One day closer to the weekend!

Tomorrow is Good Friday, but I don't have the day off.  However, I told all my clients that while we are open tomorrow, it's possible we'll be told we can go home early, and to get me their work by no later than 2:00.  This way, I'll have a slow afternoon if I have to stay all day, and if we are told we can leave early, then all my work will be done on time.

;D

Oh, well, Chuck.  You can't exactly say she had retired during the 90s, with that many #2 albums.

You got that right, Debs.  I tried to find what albums kept her from #1, but I don't have the dates of the charts, so I can't do a good Google search on it.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #10845 on: April 05, 2012, 09:29:34 am »

You got that right, Debs.  I tried to find what albums kept her from #1, but I don't have the dates of the charts, so I can't do a good Google search on it.

Well, I just spent some time on the Billboard Magazine website, they have archives from past issues online, and I was able to fine the Top 200 for the weeks that Madonna was at #2.  It's actually funny to see some of the artists there with her and wonder, "What are they doing now?"

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

BILLBOARD 200:  Week of  June 23, 1990:

#1 “Please Hammer Don’t Hurt Em” M.C. HAMMER
#2 “I’m Breathless” MADONNA 
#3 ”I Do Not Want What I Haven’t Got” SINEAD O’CONNOR
#4 “Pretty Woman” SOUNDTRACK
#5 “Poison” BELL BIV DEVOE

BILLBOARD 200:   Week of  January 26, 1991:

#1 “To The Extreme” VANILLA ICE
#2 “The Immaculate Collection” MADONNA     
#3 ”The Simpsons Sing The Blues” THE SIMPSONS
#4 ”Please Hammer Don’t Hurt Em” M.C. HAMMER
#5 ”Mariah Carey” MARIAH CAREY

BILLBOARD 200:   Week of  November 7, 1992:

#1 “The Chase” GARTH BROOKS
#2 “Erotica” MADONNA
#3 “Unplugged” ERIC CLAPTON
#4 “Some Gave All” BILLY RAY CYRUS
#5 “Automatic For The People” R.E.M

BILLBOARD 200:   Week of  February 15, 1997:

#1 “Tragic Kingdon” NO DOUBT
#2 “Evita” MADONNA
#3 “Romeo & Juliet” VARIOUS ARTISTS
#4 “Falling Into You” CELINE DION
#5 “Space Jam” VARIOUS ARTISTS

BILLBOARD 200:   Week of  March 21, 1998:

#1 “Titanic” VARIOUS ARTISTS
#2 “Evita” MADONNA
#3 “Let's Talk About Love” CELINE DION
#4 “My Homies” SCARFACE
#5 “Savage Garden” SAVAGE GARDEN

Offline dejavu

« Reply #10846 on: April 05, 2012, 11:16:05 am »
Well done research, Chuck.   ;D
Jack's from Texas.

Offline Mandy21

« Reply #10847 on: April 05, 2012, 05:08:23 pm »
So, Chuck, will you be able to take that spiffy new laptop with you when you go on your adventures, or will your family be fighting to keep possession?
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline brianr

« Reply #10848 on: April 05, 2012, 05:12:12 pm »
It amazes me that a bank is open on Good Friday. Nothing is open  here, no large stores. Banks  etc are closed until Tuesday. Shops will be open on Saturday and Monday. Transport is limited, all theatres are closed. Even many cafes  and restaurants are closed.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #10849 on: April 05, 2012, 08:51:38 pm »
Well done research, Chuck.   ;D

I was determined!  LOL

So, Chuck, will you be able to take that spiffy new laptop with you when you go on your adventures, or will your family be fighting to keep possession?

My computer isn't a laptop Mandy.  It's a full desktop computer.  It has no tower because everything is in the monitor, but it's not a laptop.  I will get myself a laptop when I move to my own place.

It amazes me that a bank is open on Good Friday. Nothing is open  here, no large stores. Banks  etc are closed until Tuesday. Shops will be open on Saturday and Monday. Transport is limited, all theatres are closed. Even many cafes  and restaurants are closed.

Over here, Good Friday isn't considered a national holiday.  Catholics who want off for the day need to request it off.  Monday isn't a holiday either.