Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 9099320 times)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #12110 on: June 19, 2013, 08:20:08 am »
Good news...yesterday I went out for breakfast and met a good friend who is one of the most uplifting people I know. We ate at a place in my new neighborhood where I've bought a house and hope to live in someday. We sat outside on the patio, sipped chai and talked about vines and landscaping.

Sounds like a really nice morning, Lee!   

I hope Chuck can come over and get those branches taken care of for you. 

I don't know what I would do without screens on my windows.  I do have central air, but I like the feeling of fresh air in my place, so I do have fans to put in the windows to bring it in and circulate it better.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline dejavu

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #12111 on: June 19, 2013, 03:48:27 pm »
Glad you slept better last night, Chuck.

Your chicken casserole should be a real treat.
Jack's from Texas.
Texans don't drink coffee?

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #12112 on: June 20, 2013, 08:17:28 am »
Hiya BetterMost friends.

Ok, so I wasn't literally in the dark, because the sun was up, but I would've been, if the loss of power had happened earlier.

:laugh:

Yup, right in the middle of breakfast, the power went out.....well, half the power did.   My bathroom and bedroom had power, the living room and kitchen didn't.

I left a voicemail for the super, and he called a few minutes ago to say the entire complex is affected, and he's waiting for PSE&G to get on the matter.

Thankfully, it's near the weekend and there isn't much left in my fridge/freezer.    :laugh:

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #12113 on: June 20, 2013, 08:35:32 am »
Hey, Chuck! On your casserole, I would suggest using chicken broth or white wine instead of the milk to make a lighter roux. Also, instead of the ham, I would suggest adding some vegetables like chopped spinach or asparagus tips. At the end, I would suggest adding biscuits or breadcrumbs, but not both. Let us know how it works out!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline brianr

« Reply #12114 on: June 20, 2013, 03:17:09 pm »
What floor is your apartment on?
I lived in an apartment (we call them units as they are owned individually) for 6 years (1976-81) and never want to do it again. It was just 3 floors so walk up. My sister and brother-in-law (and my mother for the last 5 years until her death in 2006) live on the 8th floor of a block of units. They returned home from Europe on monday morning to find the lift has completely broken down, motor has seized. He is 80, she is 79 and they had to drag their bags up the 8  sets of stairs. They are not sure how long it will be out, maybe weeks. Their friends, similar age lives on the 7th and he is wheelchair bound. My sister is chairman of the block committee and has often mentioned that a new lift might be needed which would mean no lift for over a month. I always said they should arrange to come over and visit me while it is done but it is now mid-winter (0'C at the moment) so they could not bear that.

Offline dejavu

« Reply #12115 on: June 20, 2013, 05:03:50 pm »
Yup, right in the middle of breakfast, the power went out.....well, half the power did.   My bathroom and bedroom had power, the living room and kitchen didn't.

:(

Bad news for the chicken casserole, if the power doesn't get fixed soon.

I still like the idea of a little ham in the casserole, if you are able to make it.  But the asparagus tips might be a good idea, too.
Jack's from Texas.

Offline dejavu

« Reply #12116 on: June 21, 2013, 03:10:18 pm »
Where's Chuck this busy Friday?

Not cooking yet, surely.
Jack's from Texas.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #12117 on: June 21, 2013, 06:41:26 pm »

Hiya BetterMost friends.

Yup, it's the first day of summer, and there are only 186 days until Christmas!  :laugh:

So, how is everyone doing?  Do you have a busy weekend?

Tonight, my first Brokie is coming over for dinner.  Despite advice given here, I decided to stick with the original recipe for the Chicken Cordon Bleu casserole recipe.  I'm not the most skilled cook, and changing a recipe can be daunting.  Perhaps next time!

Tonight's menu consists of the casserole, some corn-on-the-cob, and some beans, because, after all, it's too early in the summer to be sick of beans!

Saturday will be a busy day, I have to shop in the morning, have the family over for coffee and cake at 2:00, and then go to a graduation party for two graduates at 7:00. 

Thankfully, Sunday is free and I can rest, and get laundry done.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #12118 on: June 21, 2013, 06:42:38 pm »
What floor is your apartment on?
I lived in an apartment (we call them units as they are owned individually) for 6 years (1976-81) and never want to do it again. It was just 3 floors so walk up. My sister and brother-in-law (and my mother for the last 5 years until her death in 2006) live on the 8th floor of a block of units. They returned home from Europe on monday morning to find the lift has completely broken down, motor has seized. He is 80, she is 79 and they had to drag their bags up the 8  sets of stairs. They are not sure how long it will be out, maybe weeks. Their friends, similar age lives on the 7th and he is wheelchair bound. My sister is chairman of the block committee and has often mentioned that a new lift might be needed which would mean no lift for over a month. I always said they should arrange to come over and visit me while it is done but it is now mid-winter (0'C at the moment) so they could not bear that.

Hiya Brian!

I'm in a "garden apartment" as they're called here.  My unit has six apartments in it, three on the first floor, and three on the second.  I'm on the second, so there's only one flight of stairs to go up and down.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #12119 on: June 21, 2013, 06:44:01 pm »
Where's Chuck this busy Friday?

Not cooking yet, surely.

Yes, it was busy, at work.  Remember, May and June, and sometimes part of July, are my busy season......I was in at 7:00 and I had to jump into work right away, and didn't stop until I went home.  Nope, I wasn't cooking at 2:15.