Author Topic: ABCs at the Movies: The Doubles Round!  (Read 2605899 times)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
Wildcard "X" is The Million Dollar Duck (1971)
« Reply #3120 on: March 19, 2008, 03:44:02 pm »

I loved this film when I was a kid. Dean Jones, Sandy Duncan and a duck that lays golden eggs.  Hilarity ensues.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
Re: ABCs at the Movies: The Critter Round
« Reply #3121 on: March 19, 2008, 03:57:39 pm »
Wow I did too, as I remember the duck stood on a battery and connected to poles and was all glowing for a moment and then, oh the look on Sandy Duncan's face when she held that golden egg!
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
"Y" is Yellow Ox Mountain (2006).
« Reply #3122 on: March 19, 2008, 04:28:12 pm »

Synopsis: China is a country where dissenting voices have been systematically purged and propaganda efficiently woven into every aspect of life. Art has often served as a political tool, particularly during the Cultural Revolution (1966-1976) following Mao’s direct orders. This politically turbulent atmosphere drove many contemporary Chinese artists to emigrate to New York City.

Yellow Ox Mountain is a documentary that portrays the artistic endeavors and the personal journeys of two such artists, Zhang Hongtu (b. 1943) and Zhang Jian-Jun (b. 1955), who are part of the Chinese contemporary art community of New York. They were determined to escape from the artistic leash imposed by Chinese cultural control. Each expresses through his art his different experience of the Cultural Revolution, as well as his own personal background. Yet there is a shared sense of constant cultural negotiation as they concurrently look back to their traditions and forward to the multifaceted creative influence of New York.

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
"Z" is Zebraman (2004)
« Reply #3123 on: March 19, 2008, 04:42:13 pm »

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: ABCs at the Movies: Polar Opposites
« Reply #3124 on: March 19, 2008, 04:58:21 pm »
That last round was fun, I have to say! Thanks again for Oilgun for the semi-suggestion that got it going.

Okay this time....

POLAR OPPOSITES

What does that mean?

Each movie that is played has to be be

"fundamentally different"

from the movie that was played previously.

For example, say someone played Airplane! as the A. The B movie would have to be fundamentally different--in what way? You decide. Things that come immediately to my mind: Airplane! is a comedy so the B movie could be a drama. Airplane! takes place mostly in the air so the B movie could take place mostly underwater (Blue Lagoon??? LOL). Airplane! is an American movie so the B movie could be a foreign film. And so on...as we have seen in previous rounds, I think there is room for lots of creativity here.  ;)

When you post, state in your response how the movie is fundamentally different from the one that went before. The next player doesn't have to use that same fundamental difference. Again, for example:

Airplane! is A. Whoever plays B picks a drama, saying that Airplane! is a comedy, so B is a drama. The C player doesn't have to use drama; s/he could pick another feature of the B movie and use that for the fundamental difference to C....and so on.

I hope this makes sense. It is clear in my mind and I think we'll get the hang of it as we go on.

Have fun! PM me with questions!

Leslie
GameMistress

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline oilgun

Re: "Z" is Zebraman (2004)
« Reply #3125 on: March 19, 2008, 05:08:27 pm »

Great poster!  It's funny, just last night I watched Big Bang Love, Juvenile A a movie by the same director, Takashi Miike.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
"A" is Across the Universe (2007)
« Reply #3126 on: March 19, 2008, 05:08:57 pm »
I didn't see this in the theater although I wish I had. Lots of good Beatles music. So...what fundamental difference will someone use for B?

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline oilgun

"B" is Bug (2006)
« Reply #3127 on: March 19, 2008, 07:12:31 pm »
IMDb Plot Summary: Having escaped her abusive ex-husband Goss, recently released from state prison, Agnes, a lonely waitress with a tragic past moves into a sleazy, rundown motel and her lesbian co-worker R.C. introduces her to Peter, a peculiar, paranoiac drifter and they begin a tentative romance. However, things don't always seem as they appear and Agnes is about to experience a claustrophobic nightmare reality as the bugs begin to arrive...

Well, ACROSS THE UNIVERS is a light and airy love story, a feel-good musical.  (Or so I gather, I haven't seen it).
BUG, is also a love story but, in my opinion, is a polar opposite: it's a dark, heavy and claustrophobic psychological thriller where,  instead of flying across the univers in song,  we are confined to a sleazy motel room as we slowly sink into a quicksand of madness!  ( ;D)  (Or so I gather, I haven't seen this one either.)

« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 11:13:33 pm by oilgun »

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
"C" is The Care Bears Movie (1985)
« Reply #3128 on: March 19, 2008, 08:23:52 pm »
Hmm, the opposite of "a dark, heavy and claustrophobic psychological thriller where...we are confined to a sleazy motel room as we slowly sink into a quicksand of madness!" 

How about...something light, light and lighter.  So sweet you'll slowly sink into a quicksand of diabetic coma.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
"D" is Darby O'Gill and the Little People (1959)
« Reply #3129 on: March 19, 2008, 08:34:57 pm »
Even though the Care Bears were little critters, and Darby was hanging around with little people, the Care Bears movie was animated and Darby O'Gill was not. Darby O'Gill also starred (are are you ready for this?) Sean Connery! He was nowhere to be found in the Care Bears movie!