Author Topic: ABCs at the Movies: The Doubles Round!  (Read 2611222 times)

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
"R" is Roma (1972)
« Reply #3390 on: April 05, 2008, 09:34:19 am »
Fellini's tribute to the Eternal City, a real celebration.

==COMMENT==
I celebrated last night and now I'm suffering for it.  I'm not used to hangovers anymore because I essentially quit drinking a few years ago, and this one's a doozy!  I didn't even drink that much.  I blame it on Heath!  Or rather, my missing him so much.  Plus I had a night full of horrible, horrible dreams:  a series of gory, violent deaths. Most were in a movie within the dream, but still very disturbing.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 10:55:51 am by Sir William Thatcher »

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
"S" is The Shootist (1976)
« Reply #3391 on: April 05, 2008, 10:51:14 am »
John Wayne's last movie. He was dying of cancer when he made this, a story of an aging lawman who is dying of cancer. Many comments on IMDb about how it is Wayne's personal personal celebration of his life and his efforts to die on his own terms, with dignity.

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
"T" is That Old Feeling (1997)
« Reply #3392 on: April 05, 2008, 11:03:47 am »

From IMDb:

A bride's divorced parents find their old feelings for each other during the wedding reception and over the course of the next few days, upsetting the newlywed's honeymoon.

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
"U" is Under The Volcano (1984)
« Reply #3393 on: April 06, 2008, 06:22:21 pm »
Not exactly a celebration for the main character, but the film does take place during Mexico's Day of the Dead.

IMDb Plot Summary: Against a background of war breaking out in Europe and the Mexican fiesta, Day of the Dead, we are taken through one day in the life of Geoffrey Firmin, a British consul living in alcoholic disrepair and obscurity in a small southern Mexican town in 1939. The Consul's self-destructive behaviour, perhaps a metaphor for a menaced civilization, is a source of perplexity and sadness to his nomadic, idealistic half-brother, Hugh, and his ex-wife, Yvonne, who has returned with hopes of healing Geoffrey and their broken marriage.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
"V" is Valentine (2001)
« Reply #3394 on: April 06, 2008, 07:01:15 pm »
Not necessarily the Valentine's gift that I want to receive!

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
"W" is The Wedding Singer (1998)
« Reply #3395 on: April 06, 2008, 08:51:12 pm »

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
Wildcard "X" is It's My Party (1996)
« Reply #3396 on: April 06, 2008, 09:37:56 pm »

IMDb:  In the last few days before an AIDS-related brain tumor renders him insensible, a young LA designer (Eric Roberts) decides to end his own life, and throws a final joyous bash for family and loved ones. However, the occasion is strained by the arrival of Roberts' former lover (Gregory Harrison), seeking reconciliation at the eleventh hour...

Randal Kleiser's powerful film - inspired by actual events - feels more like a reunion of showbiz friends than a structured narrative, though the results are often deeply moving. Kleiser's defiant screenplay gives short shrift to the suicide debate (Roddy McDowall's character acts as the Voice of Conscience), and he employs mordant humor to keep mawkishness at bay (at one point, Roberts and best friend Bronson Pinchot launch into a rousing rendition of "It's my party / And I'll DIE if I want to"!). As you might expect, however, the final twenty minutes are relentlessly, heartbreakingly sad. Amongst the notable supporting players, look fast for Nina Foch, Sally Kellerman, Greg Louganis, Steve Antin and a virtually unrecognizable Dennis Christopher and Christopher Atkins.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
"Y" is Yes, Yes, Nanette (1925)
« Reply #3397 on: April 07, 2008, 07:30:39 am »
Newlywed Nanette brings her new husband Hillory home to meet the family...

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
"Z" is Zona Zamfirova (2002)
« Reply #3398 on: April 07, 2008, 08:51:41 am »
IMDb:  The plot follows the story of Zona Zamfirova (Katarina Radivojevic), a local rich man's daughter, and the vicissitudes of her affair with Mane (Vojin Cetkovic), an ordinary goldsmith. As it was undesirable for the daughter of a rich man to marry a craftsman, the two are at first divided, with the possibility of Zona marrying the son of other rich people, Manulac. Everything is, however, changed as Mane organizes a successful conspiracy to keep Zona for himself.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: ABCs at the Movies: Foreign Films
« Reply #3399 on: April 07, 2008, 10:17:13 am »
For this next round, let's do

Foreign Films

(by foreign, I mean non-US)

Let's see how many different countries we can get....

Unplayed movies, as usual. Wildcard X is in effect. I'll be updating the archive shortly. Have fun!

Leslie
GameMistress