Author Topic: ABCs at the Movies: The Doubles Round!  (Read 2605944 times)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
"D" is Daredevils of the Clouds (1948)
« Reply #3160 on: March 22, 2008, 10:58:12 am »
IMDb:  Terry O'Rourke, an American operating a small airline in Canada, is having a tough time making a go of it; he has to cope with unfavorable weather conditions, a rocky terrain, and a large Americam company determined to buy him out at their low price. In addition, one of his primary employees is working against him. One of his airplanes is transporting a cargo of gold and the pilot arranges for the gold to be stolen. He planned to parachute to safety, letting the airplane be looted when it crashed, but a co-worker cuts his parachute cord and he is killed. O'Rourke, with the air of one of his best pilots, Kay Cameron, sets out to track down the culprits.

Offline memento

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • There But For Fortune
"E" is Executive Decision (1996)
« Reply #3161 on: March 22, 2008, 02:58:48 pm »

IMDB: Terrorists take over a 747 bound from Athens to Washington D.C., supposedly to effect the release of their leader. Intelligence expert David Grant suspects another reason and convinces the military that the 'plane should not be allowed to enter U.S. airspace. An assault mission is devised, using a specially equipped 'plane designed for mid-air crew transfers, and Grant finds himself aboard the 747 with a team of military anti-terrorists who have to defuse a bomb and overpower the terrorists.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
"F" is The Final Countdown (1980)
« Reply #3162 on: March 22, 2008, 03:09:12 pm »
It is 1980 and the USS Nimitz puts to sea off of Pearl Harbor for routine exercises. After encountering a strange storm and losing all contact with the US Pacific Fleet, nuclear war with the Soviet Union is assumed and the USS Nimitz arms herself for battle. However, after encountering Japanese Zero scout planes and finding Pearl Harbor filled with pre-World War II battleships, it is realized that the storm the Nimitz went through caused the ship to travel back in time: to December 6th, 1941.

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
"G" is The Getaway (1972)
« Reply #3163 on: March 22, 2008, 04:12:44 pm »
I seem to remember a lot of car chases in this Pekinpah film.  I also remember being really impressed with Sally Struthers' performance(!)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
"H" is Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo (1977)
« Reply #3164 on: March 22, 2008, 04:16:08 pm »

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
"I" is The Iron Horse (1924)
« Reply #3165 on: March 22, 2008, 05:41:12 pm »
John Ford's 50th movie...at the age of 29!

"The Iron Horse" is the first trans-American railway system; the story of its construction is told in this film. Chief among the other plot lines is the love story featuring hero George O'Brien (as Davy Brandon) and heroine Madge Bellamy (as Miriam Marsh). Villainous Cyril Chadwick (as Peter Jesson) comes between them. Will Mr. O'Brien and Ms. Bellamy come together? Will the Central Pacific railroad and the Union Pacific railroad hook up? Only time will tell…

This film takes a long, long time to pick up steam. Star O'Brien (and many regular cast members) appear only after a prolonged prologue. Some of the supporting cast are dispensable, like the unfunny "three musketeers". Fortunately, "The Iron Horse" is expertly directed by John Ford; and, lead actor O'Brien is very appealing.
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline oilgun

"J" is Jet Lag (2006)
« Reply #3166 on: March 22, 2008, 11:39:42 pm »
OK,  so most of the movie is set in the airport, but the word Jet is in the title and they are waiting for a flight so I think it qualifies.

==ASIDE==

Tonight I spent 2 HOURS at a church service!  My friend's 14 year old son inexplicably decided to become a Catholic and tonight was his baptism/confirmation/first communion.  It was excrutiatingly boring and completely irrelevent!  I don't know what attarcted him to that particular church.  The completely uncharismatic priest just droned on and on, it was mind-numbing.  At one point he walked down the aisle sprinkling holy water on the congregation and man, he got me good!  I had to wipe my glasses off, it was awful.  I felt like screaming: IT BURNS!.  So basically I've been re-baptised!  I'll have to masturbate later to undo the damage, lol!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 09:07:24 am by oilgun »

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
"K" is Kuro no tesuto kaa (1962)
« Reply #3167 on: March 23, 2008, 12:00:56 pm »
AKA "Black Test Car".  Described as a "neo-noir-industrial-espionage" film.

=aside= Gil
You are a heathen in every sense of the word! LOL
So, Happy Easter, eat a chocolate bunny.

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
"L" is Lost in Space (1998)
« Reply #3168 on: March 23, 2008, 12:09:51 pm »

Offline oilgun

"M" is Motor Psycho (1965)
« Reply #3169 on: March 23, 2008, 01:56:30 pm »

==ASIDE==
RE:  Baptirm/Easter Service
Just to clarify, I'm not anti-religion (well I suppose I am, really), I actually went with an open mind expecting to at least enjoy the music and the pomp, but both my friend (the boy's mother), and I were quite dismayed at the staid & lackluster event, it certainly wasn't a joyous affair.  The music, there was a choral, was trite and remiscent of some cheap televangelist program.  And like I said, the priest had no presence whatsoever, he stumbled over his words, shouldn't he know this stuff by heart by now?  Never mind that the kid is joining an anti-gay religion but why choose such a loser congregation?  Oh well, to each his own I guess, he's still young.