Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3160656 times)

yb

Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #6080 on: November 03, 2006, 06:18:37 am »
It is within the realm of dream possibility, I suppose.

But since I ordered up a hot dream about Wolverine and all I got was a dry dull dream about his getting his claws implanted and absolutely nothing romantic whatsoever, I am a bit disgruntled today about ordering up dreams.  I got the PG rated one!

Perhaps you can use your creativity to turn your frustration into some hot chapters.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #6081 on: November 03, 2006, 06:29:00 am »
Gee I don't know Betty, a new reader of the Saga just finished "Taking Chances" and said it had too much sex in it!  Maybe I need to write less sex.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

yb

« Reply #6082 on: November 03, 2006, 06:49:03 am »
As I've said before, sometimes I did feel uneasy reading the sex scenes, but what you write are not sex for sex's sake, they all flow with the story and with so much emotion, so I don't have any problem with them at all. 

Offline Kazza

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #6083 on: November 03, 2006, 07:03:55 am »
Gee I don't know Betty, a new reader of the Saga just finished "Taking Chances" and said it had too much sex in it!  Maybe I need to write less sex.

What!!?!! What!!!???!!! :o

Souxi! June! Are you reading this!  ;)

Karen

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #6084 on: November 03, 2006, 07:06:57 am »
The thing I have striven for in the sex scenes is that they are a) meaningful to the plot b) original and c) show something new about the characters or gives some insight into their state of mind.  Those are the rules I follow for writing a sex scene.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline souxi

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #6085 on: November 03, 2006, 07:22:55 am »
What!!?!! What!!!???!!! :o

Souxi! June! Are you reading this!  ;)

Karen

Yep I sure am. ??? WTF is the matter with the woman? Too much sex indeed. ffs.  :o :o If she doesnt like it then she doesnt have to read it does she? God almighty, we dont need less sex we need more...lol.  ;) ;) ;D :laugh:

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #6086 on: November 03, 2006, 07:24:43 am »

The sex in Taking Chances was great, and there was lots of it.

That said, this was also the book where Ellery was mixing Glenfiddich and Percodan on a regular basis, Ennis was drunk more often than not, and they fucked each other unconscious on more than one occasion. I remember feeling that at moments it was extreme. Looking back in the in the context of the books that have followed, i can see that their behavior and dominating lust all happened for a reason, but the first book, standing alone left me as a reader feeling a little overwhelmed. I can put all in perspective now but I can understand how a new reader might make the comment about "too much" sex.

But don't take this as a request to write one less word, Louise. LOL

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #6087 on: November 03, 2006, 07:26:39 am »
Mornin all btw..mornin June. ;) Christ it,s bloody cold today..had to scrape my car again!! :o :o I read a lot of "looking for answers" yesterday. It was quiet harrowing reading the scenes where Ellery had really hurt his back and then got drunk and hurt himself even more. :'( :'( :'( And the bits where Ennis lost his temper with him made me shudder. Poor Ellery. :'( :'( Havnt our boys come a long long way since then? Bless em. :) :)

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #6088 on: November 03, 2006, 07:27:43 am »

Well,  if you were to submit this story in writing for movie consideration, I think you'd have to pull out about everyother sex scene!!!  LOL.          And then tone down the rest just to be able to get an R-rating!     LOL.

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #6089 on: November 03, 2006, 07:32:51 am »
Well,  if you were to submit this story in writing for movie consideration, I think you'd have to pull out about everyother sex scene!!!  LOL.          And then tone down the rest just to be able to get an R-rating!     LOL.

Thats the thing isnt it David? The bloody censors would have a field day with it and cut a lot of the sex out.  :'( :'( Mind you, I think it,s a wee bit much to expect poor Heath and Hugh to do some of that stuff though, it would be nice though lol. ;) ;) :laugh:
Mind you after BBM i think that a lot of people, myself included, wondered what all the fuss was about, re the sex scenes? You see FAR more with men and women. It was only R rated because it was men, not because of the sex, because there wasnt really that much. :'( :'( :'( :'(