Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3170709 times)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #7600 on: November 25, 2006, 08:17:29 pm »
Louise
I was reading chapter 110 and a question sprang to mind - did you name Jeremy after Jeremy Irons? 

no I didn't.  I wanted him to have a name he didn't like, so I picked the name of someone I knew really disliked his name - my neighbor Jeremy from when I lived in Seattle.  Jeremy was known for being extremely animated during all-weekend marathons of Dungeons and Dragons in the apartment above mine, and he giggled like a schoolgirl.  For many weeks I was convinced that there was a party girl up there with the three boys servicing all of them and letting out that ceiling-penetrating giggle.

All the time it was Jeremy, and they were playing D & D.  Go figure.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

yb

« Reply #7601 on: November 25, 2006, 08:32:19 pm »
Perhaps I have been influenced by Jeremy Irons, the name Jeremy impressed me as someone more on the intellectual side, so Dupree was certainly more suitable.  But as the story goes, I'm getting more and more used to 'Jeremy', and feel that the name 'Jeremy Dupree' suits him very much - conflicting and contrasting just like the owner himself.

Offline magicmountain

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Fire from heaven
« Reply #7602 on: November 25, 2006, 08:47:45 pm »
Some Playful!Hugh to balance out the images of LeatherX-Man!Hugh I was watching for hours last night ..  8)

Milli I love these shots - are they from a film or what?
Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great

Offline magicmountain

• Fire from heaven
« Reply #7603 on: November 25, 2006, 08:51:34 pm »
yes - his hyoid eminence.  The part of a man's throat that sticks out.

Louise how do you just pluck things like this out of the air? While I know what an adam's apple is, I've never heard of "hyoid eminence". It not something that comes up in conversation all that often!
Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #7604 on: November 25, 2006, 08:56:22 pm »
I dunno, I guess I paid attention in science or something.

actually... looking at Gray's anatomy... the hyoid is the top lump, and the thyroid cartilage below it is the second and more prominent one, so I guess I must not have been paying that much attention in science.

and yes i would like a little nibble of each of em!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2006, 09:09:06 pm by louisev »
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline synne

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #7605 on: November 25, 2006, 09:04:01 pm »
Update to "The Red Stallion"

http://louisev.livejournal.com/155767.html  "Chapter 111:  The Borderlands of Sex"

E/J Yippee, I was waiting for this conversation :) ; when, today( upsy it's tomorrow in Europe) ...soon???
Ennis is going to get a big bit of distraction in his boredom and our poor boy hopefully a big bitrelief for his achy soul.
After half- day of raking maple leaves those 3 chapters with illustration of "dynamite duo" from Lucise
are  reward from heaven :-* :-*

Offline richardg49

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • 'Keep on trucking'
« Reply #7606 on: November 25, 2006, 09:20:46 pm »

Look for the "jeeve" update when Richard publishes the next edition of the Laramie Lexicon!   8)

A 'Jeeves' update, as requested, incorporating all information supplied by the author and other observant bystanders (voyeurs?) at the Jeeves/Lance encounter:

to jeeve :  To carefully fold one’s suit jacket and trousers and put them safely out of harm's way before getting wet and nasty in bed and sexually ravishing an eager lover with one's designer "equipment" (preferably Armani). A condom with a union-jack imprinted design is obligatory.

Thinking back to earlier, less heated (though not necessarily more innocent), times in the LS, it occured to me that the following definitions could be helpful:

To ejaculate: To spontaneously shout out the name of one's former sexual partner when reaching a moment of climactic sexual passion with the former partner's successor.

a calicop: A police officer who performs his duties with punctiliousness, thoroughness and over-attention to detail, always writing up reports on time, never eating doughnuts, and being prepared even to: a) write out a speeding ticket for his superior officer when the circumstances dictate, and b) rescue calico cats from a tree when so ordered. (For further details, refer to Officer Reynolds)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2006, 10:16:06 pm by richardg49 »
I gave him what I hoped was that hopeful innocent puppy look that said “don’t you just want ta rub my tummy” rather than that hungry, ravenous wolf look that said “why don’t you just come out a that brick house so I can eat you up little pig?” LVH: 'What I did on my Day Off'

Offline richardg49

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • 'Keep on trucking'
« Reply #7607 on: November 25, 2006, 10:26:10 pm »
A further update:

Hyoid eminence:  The part of a man's throat that sticks out. When the man displays strong hughdity, sagacious authors exhibit an intense desire to nibble it.

I gave him what I hoped was that hopeful innocent puppy look that said “don’t you just want ta rub my tummy” rather than that hungry, ravenous wolf look that said “why don’t you just come out a that brick house so I can eat you up little pig?” LVH: 'What I did on my Day Off'

Offline magicmountain

• Fire from heaven
« Reply #7608 on: November 25, 2006, 10:40:49 pm »
A further update:

Hyoid eminence:  The part of a man's throat that sticks out. When the man displays strong hughdity, sagacious authors exhibit an intense desire to nibble it.

Oh you clever man! Ha ha ha

Offline RonitR

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #7609 on: November 26, 2006, 03:35:56 am »
SPOILER

Very interesting stuff is going on.

I loved the tie - in to all those chapters ago, about Dupree's disappointment due to Ellery's actual preferences. I never even imagined this was his reaction at the time, and now it makes perfect sense...

Can't wait for more :), and can't wait for Ennis's talk with Dupree.

Also, I keep wondering about  Jeeves' story. If he spent so many years with Charles, how come he is so "experienced with young pups" ?
Seems there is a lot more to Jeeves(y) than meets the eye.