Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3145212 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #7730 on: November 27, 2006, 03:26:10 pm »
Here's a memory from an earlier book, nice to remember on the eve of the upcoming nuptials:

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #7731 on: November 27, 2006, 03:26:52 pm »
Lovely Heath and sweet Matilda
:D

Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #7732 on: November 27, 2006, 03:27:22 pm »
I always liked this one:

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Kelpersmek

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #7733 on: November 27, 2006, 03:28:47 pm »
Doh, I forgot to post one of my Jack and Ennis pics, so to make it up to you I made a little story to go along with it. 

JACK: "WHAT'S THIS BOOK ENNIS?"

ENNIS: "I DUNNO, JUST FOUND IT LYIN'."

JACK: "WOOO-WEEE!  SOUNDS LIKE A PARTY TOWN, WANNA MOVE THERE?"

ENNIS: "MAYBE LATER?"  :laugh:

So, more pics or back to the Fic?
"RAW PRAWN!!!! ->

Wait, my mistake, it's a lobster.  I love that fic!"
-Merrobot

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #7734 on: November 27, 2006, 03:33:21 pm »
HOT JAKE!!
  ;D

This pic was the reason I started the JJJ thread!
Woowee!!  ;D ;D

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #7735 on: November 27, 2006, 03:38:58 pm »
I love this pic too.

Here is my caption for it:

"Hey Ennis!   Leave the beach umbrella alone.  Let it be!   Now git over here and warsh my back for me".    ;D

merrobot

« Reply #7736 on: November 27, 2006, 03:44:31 pm »
Some have criticized this story for being "too much, too fast" but I don't take issue with that at all, since I feel like I am reading my own story and I know it can happen this way. It did for me! The only difference: I'm not gay.

Do you think then, that perhaps that would have made a difference?  In my experience it is easier to make a commitment as a mixed-sex couple than as a same-sex couple - there are far fewer barriers in your way.  Indeed, most societies actively encourage men and women to marry whereas there are often laws in place to prevent same-sex marriage or legal partnership.  I think this could be why some people have reservations about Ennis and Ellery making a commitment so soon.  The barriers, both societal and psychological, would certainly have had an impact on Ennis, given his background.  I'm not saying he could never get to that point, it would just take him a bit of time to do it.

merrobot

« Reply #7737 on: November 27, 2006, 03:46:07 pm »
    "Hey Ennis!   Leave the beach umbrella alone.  Let it be!   Now git over here and warsh my back for me".    ;D

LOL!!  You should do a series of these!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #7738 on: November 27, 2006, 03:52:34 pm »
Update to "The Red Stallion"

http://louisev.livejournal.com/157683.html  "Chapter 117: In the Eyes of the Law"
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Kelpersmek

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #7739 on: November 27, 2006, 04:10:08 pm »
Maine: I'm not gay.

Do you think then, that perhaps that would have made a difference?  In my experience it is easier to make a commitment as a mixed-sex couple than as a same-sex couple - there are far fewer barriers in your way.  Indeed, most societies actively encourage men and women to marry whereas there are often laws in place to prevent same-sex marriage or legal partnership.  I think this could be why some people have reservations about Ennis and Ellery making a commitment so soon.  The barriers, both societal and psychological, would certainly have had an impact on Ennis, given his background.  I'm not saying he could never get to that point, it would just take him a bit of time to do it.

I have lost track, exactly how long a time period does LS take place over?

I know one of the criticisms aimed at your fic Ennis on the Couch was that Ennis' development was too quick. 

Wyoming had state-specific laws to prevent same-sex marriages, so I can see both cultural and psychological barriers to the development process.  On the other hand Ellery© is clearly very determined to marry Ennis and holds a vast quantity of money, which can have spectacular effects.

It would be interesting if we  have any people here who are gay and live in that state (I am sure I heard from one person for which this is the case) as to their perception of same-sex marriage. 

I am sure as a gay sherriff, ElleryCantrell© has different perceptions and social standing to most people, but it would be interesting to see the wider reaction to the marriage outside of the Laramie gay community.  What does the town think?  Has it made them more accepting or more hostile?  An authority figure usually has ripples of influence from their actions.

That made me think, maybe Enni's growth is accelerated by Ellery's© ability to use his money and influence to shelter them from the outside world to an extent?  What would the psychological impact of this be?
"RAW PRAWN!!!! ->

Wait, my mistake, it's a lobster.  I love that fic!"
-Merrobot