Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3145256 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #8960 on: January 20, 2007, 12:52:52 pm »
And the end of Chapter 44:

Ennis pulled out and rolled Ellery’s body gently back and against him, straightening his spine from the sustained strain, and bent once more, lapping the salt beneath his ear and along his collar bone. “Okay?”

“Yeah... need more huggin...” Ellery gasped, shivering, vulnerable, everything about him today, seemed vulnerable, and when Ennis looked down into his steely eyes they were clouded and anxious. He drew him against his chest from behind, fingers stroking the smooth flesh of his long torso, lips brushing his neck and shoulder, lapping the place where he nipped him.

“As much huggin as ya want darlin,” he murmured.

“Some bad things happened at work today Ennis. Real bad things. An I’m in em up to my neck.”

“It’s gonna be okay darlin,” Ennis responded, not asking questions. “No matter what it is, cause we’re in it together.”

Ellery sighed. “I got ta talk about it, okay?”

“Okay.”

Ellery closed his eyes, two tears forming beneath his burning lids. “Well thank god for that at least,” he sighed.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8961 on: January 20, 2007, 12:56:31 pm »
And our last quote of the day, from Chapter 45:

He walked back out toward Dupree’s desk, and he was eating a bran muffin with Joe. “Ya see, Joe, it ain’t so cut an dried as savin money for the taxpayers. When ya got a death penalty case ya got appeals, ya got reviews, ya got Supreme Courts sittin on the warrant for the execution, maintenance a facilities…”

“How can that compare with a lifelong support in custody, Dupree?” Joe was saying, sipping on a cup of black coffee.

“Besides that is all aside a the point which is… if new exculpatory evidence comes ta light, yer falsely-convicted suspect is dead an can’t be freed. I don’t know if that is something I would want ta live with. Which is why I’m in police work instead a lawyerin. Besides all the bullshit involved in lawyerin a course. Hey Chief,” Dupree looked up. “Joe got a muffin with yer name on it.”

“What the hell happened ta my standin order fer biscuits, Joe?” Ellery frowned, setting down the Steele file.

“Uh… you should get inta eatin bran, keeps yer bowels regular,” Joe said.

“I don’t need my bowels regularized, they’re regular enough as it is,” Ellery said, smiling sunnily.

Dupree raised his hand. “Joe don’t say a fuckin word, I can already hear ya thinking it.”

“Get me a biscuit next time,” Ellery said, nibbling on the muffin.

Wes opened his door. “Ellery, Mel’s gonna be by at two ta go down an see Worrell one final time before his window a cooperation gets closed fer the purposes a Wyomin vs. Worrell, you got that?”

“Shit. Yeah. Better eat while I can, I won’t be able ta digest after seein him again,” Ellery mused, biting into the muffin.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #8962 on: January 20, 2007, 01:09:47 pm »
Chapter 42:

Ellery found it difficult to talk. “Thank you, Wes. No I ain’t got anythin to append ta my reports, I did what it says in em.”

Wes nodded. “I know. One day you might get ta be the first queer Sheriff in Wyomin, Ellery, you got it in ya. When I say I got full confidence in you I mean... full confidence. You hear me boy?”

L

This was a very disturbing, scary part of the story - but, to lighten the mood a little . ..

I also have full confidence that Ellery could be Wes's successor as Sheriff of Albany County - after all, he's already the "Mayor of Queerville," right, Leslie?   ;D

Thanks!  Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #8963 on: January 20, 2007, 01:19:47 pm »
And our last quote of the day, from Chapter 45:

“What the hell happened ta my standin order fer biscuits, Joe?” Ellery frowned, setting down the Steele file.

“Uh… you should get inta eatin bran, keeps yer bowels regular,” Joe said.

“I don’t need my bowels regularized, they’re regular enough as it is,” Ellery said, smiling sunnily.

Dupree raised his hand. “Joe don’t say a fuckin word, I can already hear ya thinking it.”

L

I remember laughing out loud when I first read this - and it's just as funny on the re-read.  Another character that I really like and would love to get to know better - Joe.  As we've seen in "Dupree's Choice" and at other times in the Saga - there's a really sharp mind in that round body.

Thanks for all the quotes, Leslie!

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8964 on: January 20, 2007, 07:36:52 pm »
This was a very disturbing, scary part of the story - but, to lighten the mood a little . ..

I also have full confidence that Ellery could be Wes's successor as Sheriff of Albany County - after all, he's already the "Mayor of Queerville," right, Leslie?   ;D

Thanks!  Marie

Ha ha ha ha ha...yes!

L

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8965 on: January 20, 2007, 07:37:34 pm »

Thanks for all the quotes, Leslie!

Marie

My pleasure, always. And there will be more tomorrow.

L

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8966 on: January 21, 2007, 12:56:45 pm »
Hello re-readers...today, Chapters 46-50

http://louisev.livejournal.com/62433.html

“I don’t need powder, Mr. Worrell,” Mel said, voice dropping to an intimate, deadly softness. “I have eyewitnesses of unimpeachable character. You have until four to inform your defense counsel of your desire to enter a plea agreement in exchange for detailed knowledge of the homicides we spoke about.”

Worrell’s glance shot daggers at Ellery. “You got to em, eh? Your kind always does. Just a little too smart, an a little too pretty. You think yer protected, an you ain’t. Cause what I know... what I know is gonna wipe that pretty smile off yer faggot face, Ellery Cantrell.”

Ellery swallowed, his eyes unwavering as he looked into the hate-filled eyes of Justin Worrell. “You’re wasting time,” he said, voice soft, sandpaper-dry.

“I got all the time in the world,” Worrell snapped back. “But you don’t, boy.”

L

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8967 on: January 21, 2007, 01:04:43 pm »
Chapter 47, I love this exchange:

“He was gonna try. That may be why he tried ta kill himself, because he found out that wasn’t gonna happen. Mel Ruskin told em so. Listen Ennis I know I never mentioned this but I was thinking a havin Dupree over an maybe we could grill somethin out on the patio an visit. You up for that at all?”

“Sure. I like Dupree.”

Ellery lowered his voice. “Well I didn’t want ta interrupt any early evenin plans Mr. Coyote might a had, that’s all.”

Ennis smiled, reddening slightly, aware that Edna was hovering in the kitchen doorway. “Always time later darlin.”

“Okay, well I’ll call again if we’re gonna be runnin late after this Worrell thing, who knows, maybe Mel will want ta come talk ta us again.”

“Okay.”

“I love ya Ennis.”

“Yeah, I never get sick a hearin that. I love ya too, darlin. See ya soon.”

He set the phone down, head bowed, and Edna bustled into the room. She obviously had been listening to at least the end of the discussion. She came right at Ennis and threw her arms around him. He hugged her, blinking and confused. “Hey,” he said, patting her quivering shoulder.

“Oh Ennis, you don’t know how relieved an happy I am that Ellery finally found a good, decent man ta love em,” she said, her voice cracking with emotion. She pulled back, a tear in her eyes, and she gazed up at him, face tight with emotion. “We care so much about em an he has been so lonely, I can’t tell ya.”

“Jesus Edna…” Ennis said, running out of things to say before he had completed a sentence.

“You don’t have ta say nothin, Ennis. He is like our only boy, an havin you has put a smile on his face at last, an that warms our hearts, me an Wes both. God bless ya, Ennis.” She pulled him close once more, betraying a strength Ennis didn’t know she had in her, and his own eyes began to sting.

“Th-thank you,” he managed finally. “I do love em.”

“I know you do sweetie,” she said, and gave Ennis a paper-dry kiss on the cheek, causing him to blush deeply.

L

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8968 on: January 21, 2007, 01:13:37 pm »
Chapter 48, more interesting Dupree conversations...

"He can't pull his own dick, not in this state," Ellery said, appearing in a snug tank top and his cutoff jeans, leaning over to smell the steak. "Geesh Ennis that smells wonderful, what'd you put on em?"

"A little a this, a little a that, I went an got some barbecue spices an sauce at the Safeway since you said you might be late comin home, made a fruit salad an a vegetable salad too an these vegetable skewers." Ennis smiled modestly.

"Yer spoilin me boy," Ellery said, bending over slightly and kissing the nape of his neck.

"Ellery, yer makin Dupree uncomfortable." Ennis gulped, looked shyly at the Army vet sitting comfortably at the table, cigarette in his lips.

"Me? Hell no, you ferget I see that four hours a night four nights a week at the Stallion, Ennis. An a whole lot more I could do without seein. Nothin worse than watchin that little asshole Leon grindin his ass inta Lang's crotch to the tune a 'Stand by Yer Man.' Every time I hear Loretta Lynne come on that juke box I pull my hat over my eyes."

Ellery laughed. "See?"

"Besides, you two are ... well yer cute. Like a real couple."

Ennis stared at him as though he had pulled a gun. "Cute?"

"Yeah, kissin in the park cute. It looks... well, normal if ya want my view."

Ellery gave Ennis his distance and sat down. "Right nice a you ta say that Dupree. I hope ya ain't sayin it ta get raise in pay cause I don't control the paychecks, Wes does."

It was Dupree's turn to laugh. "Hadn't thought a that. Ya do control the pay at the Stallion though. What a ya say I take a nice picture a you two arm in arm an whenever someone comes up ta me an says 'hey can ya get me a date with yer cowboy friend?' I can show em the picture an say 'no dice, friend.'

"No," Ennis said flatly. "Don't be takin no pictures a me an Ellery."

"I wouldn't mind, Ennis..." Ellery said, plucking his lip.

"I mind," he said, back stiff.

"Didn't mean nothin by it," Dupree said softly.

"It's okay Dupree."

"Sorry," Ennis mumbled. "Ain't ready fer... for that kinda ... thing yet."

"Do a lot a guys ask ya that, Dupree?"

He nodded. "Matter a fact. Ennis is the nicest piece a eye candy there, except for that skinny blond who goes there an dances up a storm an makes their eyes roll in their head. Blond men are the popular ones, just like with women."

"Well shit," Ennis said. "Time ta dye my hair grey or summat."

"Don't you fuckin dare," Ellery said. "You got beautiful hair an you better not be hidin it. Ain't a hat enough cover for ya?"

L

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #8969 on: January 21, 2007, 01:47:16 pm »
Good afternoon - I've been happily anticipating this section of "A Second Chance" - Chapters 48 and 49 are two favorites!  We get E&E and Jeremy! 

At the start of Chapter 48:

Jeremy Dupree and Ellery arrived home a little after six, a telltale smoke rising from the patio, and he parked the El Camino in the carport. Dinner was well underway. Dupree led the way up the walkway and onto the patio, and Ennis looked up from hovering over three large steaks sizzling alongside some vegetable skewers.

"Hey, Dupree, good ta see ya."

"Ennis that all smells great. Thank you so much fer invitin me over. I had no idea you trained horses AND were a grill chef." Ellery followed behind, fanning himself with his hat.

"Ennis Del Mar is a lot a things, Dupree, and as Ennis straightened up, setting down his spatula, Ellery came over and slipped an arm around him, brushing his lips against Ennis's cheek. "Aint ya?"

Ennis stiffened slightly, did not pull away. "Nice ta see ya darlin," he murmured, the red blotches on his cheeks might have been a reaction to the heat. Dupree was busy looking at the water feeder and a collection of small variously-colored birds, and Ennis glanced up. "You wouldn't believe it, earlier, there was a parakeet peckin at the suet."

Ellery opened the patio door and stepped in, loosening his tie. "I'm gonna change if ya don't mind, Dupree." Dupree had changed into his usual olive drab pants, a camouflage tank top, and wore his soft hat in matching cammo

Love the description of Dupree's outfit (another bit of minutia!), especially because I've got hats on my mind now because of J&N - and, of course, I love picturing Jeremy in a camouflage tank top!   :)

Some random thoughts on little things that caught my interest -  the mention of Dupree with the cigarette made me remember that Jeremy decided to quit smoking when Ellery did!  And now that I think about it - we haven't seen Nick with a cigarette lately - I think Jeremy is influencing him in lots of good ways!

Would love to see E&E entertain some more when they get the chance - Ennis really seemed to enjoy it! -

Also, the discussion about the picture has me wondering if E&E will ever take a picture together (purposely) - we know the photographer at Joe's son's wedding took one.   

Thanks - Marie