Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3109270 times)

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • no way out but through
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #1170 on: July 12, 2006, 02:37:04 pm »
Hi,

I hope you guys make it over to chat!

BigH - surely you can have occasional internet access during the course of your three weeks?
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #1171 on: July 12, 2006, 02:42:59 pm »
oh yes I have had trials and tribulations.  Those of you who caught up by reading a hundred chapters at a time may have seen the occasional "Note from the Author" and a few reassurances I put in my Livejournal in response to user questions, because a very large controversy arose over "Taking Chances" and "Looking for Answers" after chapter 27 or so of TC was posted.

The controversy apparently arose because I was the one of the first authors to do a detailed treatment of Ennis's life after grieving for Jack, and becoming involved in a serious sexual relationship.  It broke absolutely new ground.  There were a few other fics that were not well advertised, and got poor reviews.  Considering that I didn't start this fic until 6 months after Brokeback came into theaters, and well after people began to write fan fictions, this might be surprising, and I had no idea I was writing something that might be considered by some, controversial.  I myself thought that rewriting the ending of Brokeback mountain was in some sense rather scandalous, and could not imagine doing so, and I wrote a short fiction in 9 chapters entitled "A Warm Wind Blows" about Ennis wasting away with grief and developing a fatal cancer, only to find as he nears death, that Jack is there waiting for him and content to wait a while longer for him to have a more fulfilling life and to give him back a hope of living, knowing they will be reunited.

When I finished that story something else began to niggle at me but I could not still, imagine changing the end of BBM just because I wanted Jack to avoid the fate Annie Proulx had given him, and that is when I conceived of the idea of Ennis doing research to find out about the Queer World and encountering the denizens of one of Wyoming's first gay bars, a private club started by a mover and shaker in the most progressive town in Wyoming.  Little did I know that for some... this plot was "fightin words."  And the controversy intensified to the point that I was really quite hurt and bewildered.

"The Laramie Saga" has been called (politely) "MovinOn!Ennis", and impolitely "Ennis the Gay Blade"  and "Ennis and Who?" and "Leather-Gay Ennis" , and I have been accused of writing something less elegant than Harlequin Romances, and "dancing on Jack's grave."  At the same time, there grew quiet but nonetheless more visible group of people who wanted (and needed) for me to write, and to continue, the saga, and so I did.  I don't begrudge others their own alternate-universe fics about Ennis and Jack, and I sympathize with those who aren't interested in reading about anyone else with Ennis.  But there has to be a reason why so many people respond to this story... there has to be a reason why sometimes I get 50 or 60 comments a day, and why I get heartfelt confessions from people who say they finally felt relief from the dreadful pain opened up in them from watching or reading "Brokeback Mountain" when Ennis found love once more after the tragic death of Jack.

“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1172 on: July 12, 2006, 02:52:20 pm »

"The Laramie Saga" has been called (politely) "MovinOn!Ennis", and impolitely "Ennis the Gay Blade"  and "Ennis and Who?" and "Leather-Gay Ennis" , and I have been accused of writing something less elegant than Harlequin Romances, and "dancing on Jack's grave."  At the same time, there grew quiet but nonetheless more visible group of people who wanted (and needed) for me to write, and to continue, the saga, and so I did.  I don't begrudge others their own alternate-universe fics about Ennis and Jack, and I sympathize with those who aren't interested in reading about anyone else with Ennis.  But there has to be a reason why so many people respond to this story... there has to be a reason why sometimes I get 50 or 60 comments a day, and why I get heartfelt confessions from people who say they finally felt relief from the dreadful pain opened up in them from watching or reading "Brokeback Mountain" when Ennis found love once more after the tragic death of Jack.

Louise ... MANY MANY HUGS!

These people who are coming up with these names for your story are actually taking time to read it, or else why would they care so much?  Why does it get under their skin so much?
I remember the trolls from Imdb forum and their obsession with BBM.
To all those raising hell over MO!Ennis: If you dont like it or its not for you, let it go, don't latch on to it.  It is that simple IMO!

Out with the negative, in with the positive I say!  Keep up the good work Louise!  :-*

Offline Bigheart

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1173 on: July 12, 2006, 03:04:27 pm »
Hi,

I hope you guys make it over to chat!

BigH - surely you can have occasional internet access during the course of your three weeks?
Yeah, I'm taking my laptop but my hotelroom doesnt have ADSL high speed internet access but thankfully the hotel does have an internet place so I will be able to check my emails and read occasionally - not the huge amount of reading I do at home though, LOL

Offline David

« Reply #1174 on: July 12, 2006, 03:07:27 pm »
Holy cow!

I sign off for a few hours, and while I'm gone, y'all have posted 5 more pages here!

Now cut that out!   Leave Louisev alone so she can write chapter 82!     ;D

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1175 on: July 12, 2006, 03:10:00 pm »

Here here! 

Hey David, we are looking for Lauren contenders..got any pictures?
I posted one earlier to mixed reviews..lol..
I will look later, but you got ideas?  ;)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1176 on: July 12, 2006, 03:10:29 pm »
Holy cow!

I sign off for a few hours, and while I'm gone, y'all have posted 5 more pages here!

I have also done some catching up on you on messages David...I have you in my sights!
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline David

« Reply #1177 on: July 12, 2006, 03:21:03 pm »
Here here! 

Hey David, we are looking for Lauren contenders..got any pictures?
I posted one earlier to mixed reviews..lol..
I will look later, but you got ideas?  ;)

I liked that picture, but he strikes me more as a "Rudy" type, not a Lauren.     If Lauren is as vanilla as he says he is, he wouldn't dress that way to work.   then again, if he wants to get more tips, he'd work shirtless and in short cut offs!    LOL

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1178 on: July 12, 2006, 03:24:55 pm »
I liked that picture, but he strikes me more as a "Rudy" type, not a Lauren.     If Lauren is as vanilla as he says he is, he wouldn't dress that way to work.   then again, if he wants to get more tips, he'd work shirtless and in short cut offs!    LOL

Good point!  Lauren is vanilla, not into the spanking type stuff... lol
I can see Rudy bartending in his drawers, not Lauren...  ;D

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #1179 on: July 12, 2006, 03:51:38 pm »
Update to "A Second Chance"

http://louisev.livejournal.com/71873.html  "Chapter 82:  Back on the Job"
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”