Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3145388 times)

Offline pastorfred

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • retired, free-lance, non-denominational pastor
    • spirituality handbook
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #1640 on: July 17, 2006, 11:12:33 am »
Fred, what are your thoughts on the developing love of the two men?

Like Brokeback Mountain itself, I find the developing love relationship between Ennis and Ellery to be one of the most beautiful love stories I've ever read. It is a sign of unspeakable bigotry to say that love between two human beings of the same sex is less valuable than love between any other human beings. Because Ennis and Ellery are homosexual in orientation, their love can be expressed sexually. They have very little gratuitous sex, burned biscuits notwithstanding; almost every part of every sexual encounter is a powerful expression of deep love.

The relationship of Jack to the story of Ennis and Ellery is very important. That Ennis loved one and only one man for twenty years is one of the reasons Ellery fell in love with him. That Ellery respected, honored, and even revered the love between Ennis and Jack is one of the reasons that Ennis fell in love with him. The developing love relationship between Ennis and Ellery is a tribute to the love between Ennis and Jack. With Jack Ennis's heart was opened. Without Jack there would have been no way for Ellery to enter Ennis's heart.

A deep mutuality of love and respect is growing between Ennis and Ellery. As Ellery helped Ennis with his grief over Jack's death, so Ennis helped Ellery come to terms with his grief over the end of his relationship with Beagle. The opportunity for healing and growth that the love of Ennis and Ellery gives to each of them makes it a shelter from every storm that batters them in the cruel world. Whatever happens, they know that they can come home to a safe place with each other. There is nothing in the world more valuable than that kind of shelter in the storm.
Peace be with y'all,
Fred

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • no way out but through
« Reply #1641 on: July 17, 2006, 11:20:55 am »
My initials...LN. Oh my god, I am more than an E&E forever type girl, I carry them with me in my name.

So there, everyone!

LN

Well, I have five letters in my name, four of which are also in Ellery's name.  That equals - 80%.... so let's see, does that mean Ellery's got me with him 80% of the time?
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline scudder

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #1642 on: July 17, 2006, 11:49:25 am »
I agree with your comments completely, PastorFred.  It will be interesting to see how their love gains depth and stability!

Offline scudder

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #1643 on: July 17, 2006, 12:25:16 pm »
Doesn't anybody like Yogurt? or Sorbet?

Key Lime is a favorite of mine,
  As also is zesty lemon sorbet!

Vanilla yogurt is a favorite too!

So I quess I would have been a little tart like Leon if I had had the chance.  Gee, it would have been fun, I think.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #1644 on: July 17, 2006, 12:35:22 pm »
scudder I am giggling like a schoolgirl over your last comment.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline magicmountain

• Fire from heaven
« Reply #1645 on: July 17, 2006, 12:50:46 pm »
Like Brokeback Mountain itself, I find the developing love relationship between Ennis and Ellery to be one of the most beautiful love stories I've ever read. It is a sign of unspeakable bigotry to say that love between two human beings of the same sex is less valuable than love between any other human beings. Because Ennis and Ellery are homosexual in orientation, their love can be expressed sexually. They have very little gratuitous sex, burned biscuits notwithstanding; almost every part of every sexual encounter is a powerful expression of deep love.

The relationship of Jack to the story of Ennis and Ellery is very important. That Ennis loved one and only one man for twenty years is one of the reasons Ellery fell in love with him. That Ellery respected, honored, and even revered the love between Ennis and Jack is one of the reasons that Ennis fell in love with him. The developing love relationship between Ennis and Ellery is a tribute to the love between Ennis and Jack. With Jack Ennis's heart was opened. Without Jack there would have been no way for Ellery to enter Ennis's heart.

A deep mutuality of love and respect is growing between Ennis and Ellery. As Ellery helped Ennis with his grief over Jack's death, so Ennis helped Ellery come to terms with his grief over the end of his relationship with Beagle. The opportunity for healing and growth that the love of Ennis and Ellery gives to each of them makes it a shelter from every storm that batters them in the cruel world. Whatever happens, they know that they can come home to a safe place with each other. There is nothing in the world more valuable than that kind of shelter in the storm.

PastorFred you have hit the nail on the head. After all the sturm und drang of BBM Ellery and Ennis are in a safe harbour together. That has been immensely comforting to me. Ellery makes Ennis feel safe.
Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1646 on: July 17, 2006, 12:54:11 pm »
eh, Fred just stole the main themes from my unwritten 4th book.

For anyone who cares to, I am idling in chat as I write.  I write best when I have people to chat with.  Believe it, or not.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1647 on: July 17, 2006, 01:06:35 pm »
Doesn't anybody like Yogurt? or Sorbet?

I like both, although I am still drooling over the chocolate peanut-butter Ellery pie from yesterday!
Yum!  :)

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #1648 on: July 17, 2006, 01:49:57 pm »
PastorFred you have hit the nail on the head. After all the sturm und drang of BBM Ellery and Ennis are in a safe harbour together. That has been immensely comforting to me. Ellery makes Ennis feel safe.

Sounds kinda wacky perhaps, but Ellery makes me feel safe too... (that's why I almost came undone over all the Beagle hijinks!)
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1649 on: July 17, 2006, 02:06:55 pm »
Update to "A Second Chance"

http://louisev.livejournal.com/75187.html  "Chapter 94:  Tips"