Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3145399 times)

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #1650 on: July 17, 2006, 02:07:13 pm »
Louise posted a comment about her intentions to continue the Laramie Saga with a fourth installment at LiveJournal that I just saw.  She mentions appreciation for those who support her view of Ennis continuing his life after Jack's death and why the sort of resolution that Ennis & Ellery offer us is important to so many of us affected/devastated by Brokeback Mountain.

Because I am one of the world's worst about not posting regular support and encouragement for the fan fiction writers I read (out of sheer laziness, I confess), I thought I would mention here a few reasons why I find E&E (and other fan fictions) healing and how I have come to my personal resolution that it is OK for Ennis to have a happily-ever-after.

It goes without saying that Annie Proulx and McMurtry/Ossama/Lee leave us with an open-ended story.  The last we see of movieEnnis, he is tearful, looking at his shrine of bloodied shirts, and making an indeterminate vow to Jack.  The last we read of storyEnnis, he is acknowledging the difference between what he wishes to be true and what he truly believes about Jack's death...again ambiguity.

Good arguments can be made for several interpretations of the final scenes, but ultimately, it's for each of us to arrive at our own understanding.  That's why I love the Annie Proulx quote about 'finishing the story' in our own lives - she left us that opportunity, gave us that gift, essentially, to move past the fate of her Jack and Ennis and decide how we want our own lives to honor their lives and their sacrifices.  (If this sounds as if I see Jack and Ennis as real people, good, because I do...they inhabit 'everyperson' to me).

FanFiction Jack and Ennis have their kernels, to either a greater or lesser degree, in the story or the movie, but beyond those kernels, they belong to the FanFiction writers.  I absolutely believe that it is appropriate for us to imagine how life might go on for Ennis after the devastation of losing Jack.  For me, it is also good and healing to consider different points in the story where their lives could have taken a different turn - those 'if only's' that writers like Leslie have given us with Jack and Ennis eventually achieving their sweet life together.

The point is for all of us to 'finish the story' in whatever way we can and using whatever tools are available to us - forums, friendships, fan fiction, activism.  You don't have to look any further than the variety of posts at BetterMost to see a long list of ways people are working hard toward the end of finding contentment and love in their own lives - within themselves, with partners or with greater society.

So, I applaud Louise for continuing the Laramie Saga.  Your fans appreciate your efforts, truly.

And if fan fiction is not your cup of coffee, if it doesn't speak to you, or if it outright annoys/enrages you, that's OK too.  It is only one of a multitude of ways of keeping Jack and Ennis alive in your hearts.  That is my personal goal - I want them to live forever in my heart, however I can achieve that.

With gratitude and humility,
-Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1651 on: July 17, 2006, 02:09:34 pm »

So, I applaud Louise for continuing the Laramie Saga.  Your fans appreciate your efforts, truly.

AMEN!!  :)

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • no way out but through
« Reply #1652 on: July 17, 2006, 02:53:09 pm »
Louise posted a comment about her intentions to continue the Laramie Saga with a fourth installment at LiveJournal that I just saw.  She mentions appreciation for those who support her view of Ennis continuing his life after Jack's death and why the sort of resolution that Ennis & Ellery offer us is important to so many of us affected/devastated by Brokeback Mountain.

Because I am one of the world's worst about not posting regular support and encouragement for the fan fiction writers I read (out of sheer laziness, I confess), I thought I would mention here a few reasons why I find E&E (and other fan fictions) healing and how I have come to my personal resolution that it is OK for Ennis to have a happily-ever-after.

Lynne, thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with us.  I especially loved where you described Annie's ambiguity as a gift...
I have never heard it described that way, but you are so very right...
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #1653 on: July 17, 2006, 03:27:13 pm »
The final chapter of "A Second Chance"

http://louisev.livejournal.com/75431.html  "Chapter 95:  A Lead"
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Jane

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Together forever.xx
« Reply #1654 on: July 17, 2006, 03:47:59 pm »
The final chapter of "A Second Chance"

http://louisev.livejournal.com/75431.html  "Chapter 95:  A Lead"

SPOILER

Louise my heart in is my mouth now. I can hardly stand the suspense. Poor Ennis. I can just picture Ellerys face drained of colour when he heard that the door had been forced. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 03:49:38 pm by Jane »
Always and forever. J&E.xx

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1655 on: July 17, 2006, 04:20:57 pm »
So we have a cliffhanger ending, Louise says she is in the chat but the banner is gone so we cant't get into the chat...sort of like the back door being forced. Where is Louise? Where is Ennis? Where is the first chapter of the next book?

Yikes!

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #1656 on: July 17, 2006, 04:31:47 pm »
go to the first page of the Chat Audition thread.
at the bottom is the link.  we are in there chatting.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
    • BetterMost
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline ranchgal

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #1658 on: July 17, 2006, 06:52:29 pm »
When will you have the first chapter posted up in livejournal??
AS I may never find any such link trying to wade throught the 'chat audition' whatever whereever.

I supposedly got into the fanfiction room, but never found any link or any idea of how to go about finding it???   I can chat, but don't see any "pages" and NO LINKS to anything--so exacty where are we supposed to be able to find that link to the first chapter-----and again---WHEN do you put it up in Livejournal so I can read it????
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 07:39:08 pm by ranchgal »

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • no way out but through
« Reply #1659 on: July 17, 2006, 08:46:46 pm »
It's after midnight in Germany and close to 2am if I remember correctly, so I don't think they'll be any more chapters posted until tomorrow.

The thread is awfully quiet tonight... everyone must be fraught with worry about Ennis.

Well, I blabbity-blabbed my opinion all over chat today, so I'll share it here as well.  Feel free to contradict with your own questions/concerns.

Warning: Spoilers to previously published chapters, and I've no inside info, so this is all conjecture...

What do we know?  We know Jim and Will were killed by guns point blank.  We know Will was not beaten or traumatized before death, because there were no bruises or other signs of torture on him.  We know that the entry to Ellery's house was forced.  There was no mention of blood (doesn't mean it's not there, but I think Wes would have said something).  In my mind the bad guys are doing one of two things by taking Ennis... they are taking him to 1) kill him, or 2) lure Ellery.  As they seem to kill by shooting, they could have killed him in the house.  As far as we know, there are no signs of this in the house.  The time frame has only been a couple of hours, so they couldn't have killed him and cleaned it up that quickly IMHO.  Plus, obviously Ennis is going to have a role in Book 4, so he can't die.  That leaves 2) they are taking Ennis to bait Ellery.  Now, they could beat and torture him while the wait for Ellery, but I don't think they will, as long as Ennis behaves.  I don't think they will beat him because they didn't beat Will.  Fred reminded me that Ennis behaved in a reasonably level headed fashion when confronted by Worrell, so I think he will be levelheaded in this circumstance as well.  (He has not done anything crazy or stupid of late at the bar, or in regards to the Beagle business... so we know he can control himself.)  So I don't think he will struggle/fight/try to escape until he knows he can be successful.  Now, of course he could still get injured in the big shootout or whatever happens when the entire police department finds him.  And it is going to be the entire police department looking for him, not just Ellery.  Now, perhaps I am being overly optimistic, as crime is not always logical, and all my musings are purely conjecture.

Too bad I'm not a neuron in Louise's brain right now...

(Please don't think I'm being callous, I'm as devastated and worried about Ennis as Ellery is, it calms me to try and think in logical steps, like I did above.)
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger