Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3145443 times)

Offline Bigheart

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #2770 on: August 10, 2006, 05:04:43 am »
OH mm,

Your avatar is brilliant! Just to die for! I love it.  :)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2771 on: August 10, 2006, 05:43:32 am »
That's a great picture, Lucise. I have always loved that photo of Heath in the green shirt and Hugh is pretty hot, too!

Thanks for sharing your talents with us, over and over....

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #2772 on: August 10, 2006, 07:31:03 am »
Well Kelly .. Here are Hugh/Heath for ya!  AussieLand representin'! lol ..
Enjoy it!!  ;)

Oh my, don't those boys look good together?  You can say 'perfect couple' can't you?  Sure you can!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline scudder

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #2773 on: August 10, 2006, 08:07:20 am »
What wonderful pictures, Lucise.  Ennis in a green shirt and Ellery with a big smile.  Great!

Louise, there seems to be a blank in the story.  If Edna and Wes have known Ellery for 20 years,  that means they met him the year after his freshman year and all the trouble with Beagle.  How did they meet?  Where did a sheriff on a sheriff's salary get the money to purchase the horse ranch?  How did such a close relationship , a filial one, develop between Ellery and the Brown's.  How did Ellery know that Ennis would get a thousand dollar bonus?  What did he have to do with it?  Did Ellery help the Browns purshace the ranch?  Is he a silent partner?  We know a lot about Jack and Ennis' background thanks to Annie Proulx.  We know bits and starts of Ellery's.  We know next to nothing about Ellery's relationship with the Browns other than it is a strong, long standing one.  Can you enlighten us, Louise?

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #2774 on: August 10, 2006, 08:21:11 am »
Excellent questions scudder!!!

Loved the pic Lucise.  'Perfect couple' fits well Louise.

Better go start working now...
 ;)
Kelly
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline opinionista

« Reply #2775 on: August 10, 2006, 09:46:50 am »
What wonderful pictures, Lucise.  Ennis in a green shirt and Ellery with a big smile.  Great!

Louise, there seems to be a blank in the story.  If Edna and Wes have known Ellery for 20 years,  that means they met him the year after his freshman year and all the trouble with Beagle.  How did they meet?  Where did a sheriff on a sheriff's salary get the money to purchase the horse ranch?  How did such a close relationship , a filial one, develop between Ellery and the Brown's.  How did Ellery know that Ennis would get a thousand dollar bonus?  What did he have to do with it?  Did Ellery help the Browns purshace the ranch?  Is he a silent partner?  We know a lot about Jack and Ennis' background thanks to Annie Proulx.  We know bits and starts of Ellery's.  We know next to nothing about Ellery's relationship with the Browns other than it is a strong, long standing one.  Can you enlighten us, Louise?

Hi scudder:

I believe Edna said she's known Ellery for almost 20 years. Also, Wes has said he hand picked Ellery from college upon his graduation, and that's how they got to know each other. As for Wes's ranch, no specific has been given about how he got it, but it seems to me he comes from money people as well.  Or maybe Edna is the rich of the two. To be a Sheriff you need to be elected. So I guess the person interested in such a position needs to invest some money for campaign and stuff, so he had to have some money himself. I'm not sure about this, but this is what I think.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline magicmountain

• Fire from heaven
« Reply #2776 on: August 10, 2006, 11:03:11 am »

Ellery: Now don't you go gettin' all green on me Ennis.

Ennis: You watch ya mouth boy!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 09:35:16 pm by magicmountain »
Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2777 on: August 10, 2006, 11:57:22 am »
Morning folks!
Cheers for all the kind comments!  :-*
I am sure I have a few pix to contribute yet .. ;)

MagicM ~ love the caption about Ennis 'turning green' .. lol

And how is our authoress today?  Louise, hope yer feeling better!  :)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2778 on: August 10, 2006, 01:43:50 pm »
Hi scudder:

I believe Edna said she's known Ellery for almost 20 years. Also, Wes has said he hand picked Ellery from college upon his graduation, and that's how they got to know each other. As for Wes's ranch, no specific has been given about how he got it, but it seems to me he comes from money people as well.  Or maybe Edna is the rich of the two. To be a Sheriff you need to be elected. So I guess the person interested in such a position needs to invest some money for campaign and stuff, so he had to have some money himself. I'm not sure about this, but this is what I think.

I guess I'm going to have to nominate Natali for "Fact Girl" because you covered that beautifully Natali!  (Unfortunately I had to spend another long day WORKING for heaven's sake!!!).  And yes, Wes was elected sheriff, and to be elected you need campaign money and yes, Wes has got some money.  Edna was rounding off in her comment about "almost 20 years."  They have known him since his senior year in college, where as the most promising senior in his class, he got to work in the Sheriff's department.  (That isn't covered in the story anywhere, but that is where I was going with the fact that Wes hand-picked Ellery.)  And as far as Ellery knowing about Ennis's bonus, he knows how Wes works, and if Wes hadn't actually come out and asked him how much he should give him, then he would have made a good guess based upon his thorough knowledge of how Wes does business.  And at this point I haven't drawn any deeper relationship between Ellery and the Browns.  They have their own money, they don't have a financial relationship of any kind. 
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2779 on: August 10, 2006, 01:51:28 pm »
Morning folks!

And how is our authoress today?  Louise, hope yer feeling better!  :)

You deserve every great comment, Lucise, and in honor of your unique contribution to E&E I have decided to immortalize you in a unique way in the upcoming book.  If I'm really clever I'll be able to get everybody who is a regular fan here mentioned in some way in one of the upcoming books, if there is some way to get your name inconspicuously fit in there somewhere!

As far as my health goes, I got lucky on the cough - it must have been either a side effect of my tooth problem or a simple cold, because I am getting over it pretty quickly.  I had a good night's sleep last night.  Unfortunately, my dentist had bad news for me today: I have an infection underneath the root of my most recent root canal, which is cemented beneath a fixed bridge.  Fixing it is going to be time consuming and may not be successful: the alternative is oral surgery or pulling the tooth out, which means losing a bridge I paid a whole lot of money for, and molars I can ill afford to lose bitability with.  So that wasnt good news, but there is hope.  And here I was hoping for an infected gum!

I am idling in chat and thinking about chapter 58 at this hour.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 01:56:16 pm by louisev »