Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3170165 times)

Offline pastorfred

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • retired, free-lance, non-denominational pastor
    • spirituality handbook
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #2830 on: August 12, 2006, 12:18:02 pm »
Update to "Shelter From the Storm"

http://louisev.livejournal.com/91164.html  "Chapter 61: Woman Trouble"

This was a delightful and much anticipated chapter!

In light of it I want to consider a little of Alfred Kinsey's theory of sexuality. He developed a scale of 0 to 6, where 0 was 100 percent heterosexual and 6 was 100 percent homosexual. Zeros and sixes are relatively rare. Most of us fall somewhere between one and five. On this scale it would seem that Dupree is a one or a two, Ennis is a four or five, and Ellery is a five or six.

What do y'all think?
Peace be with y'all,
Fred

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #2831 on: August 12, 2006, 12:22:29 pm »
SPOILER

Louise,  How wonderful.  You sure know this sex thing. I have learned more these last few weeks than I ever did before. You are changing my life. I'm still bashful like Ennis but I am coming out of it much like Ennis is.  As Ennis goes, so I go!

which sex thing?  you mean the current chapter?  hehehe.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline alexisg

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #2832 on: August 12, 2006, 12:33:53 pm »

In light of it I want to consider a little of Alfred Kinsey's theory of sexuality. He developed a scale of 0 to 6, where 0 was 100 percent heterosexual and 6 was 100 percent homosexual. Zeros and sixes are relatively rare. Most of us fall somewhere between one and five. On this scale it would seem that Dupree is a one or a two, Ennis is a four or five, and Ellery is a five or six.

What do y'all think?

I'd put Ellery definitely as an almost 6, just based on what I know of him so far.  Ennis to me is closer to 5 than 4, even though I don't think he was ever really interested in women, on the whole.  I think the jury is still out on Dupree, but I'd hazard to guess he's more than iust a little curious.  He reminds me of a friend of mine, who always remarks about being 15% gay.   So I'd put Dupree around a 1 or 2 as well.

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2833 on: August 12, 2006, 12:48:21 pm »

What do y'all think?

I'd say Dupree is 1, Ennis and Ellery are 6. Ennis had no real interest in women except to hide his true self.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline scudder

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #2834 on: August 12, 2006, 12:54:48 pm »
I'd put Ellery as a 6,  Ennis a 5, and Dupree a 2 or 3.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2835 on: August 12, 2006, 01:10:14 pm »
I'd put Ellery as a 6,  Ennis a 5, and Dupree a 2 or 3.

I'm with Scudder here ..  :)

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2836 on: August 12, 2006, 01:28:13 pm »
I'm with Scudder here ..  :)

Ditto!    ;)

Offline pastorfred

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • retired, free-lance, non-denominational pastor
    • spirituality handbook
« Reply #2837 on: August 12, 2006, 01:32:36 pm »
I'd say Dupree is 1, Ennis and Ellery are 6. Ennis had no real interest in women except to hide his true self.

Somebody will tell me, I'm sure, if my impression is wrong, but I believe it would be extremely difficult for a Kinsey 6 to have sex with a person of the opposite gender. So Ennis would have to have been at least a 5.
Peace be with y'all,
Fred

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2838 on: August 12, 2006, 02:40:40 pm »
Update to "Shelter From the Storm"

http://louisev.livejournal.com/91624.html  "Chapter 62:  Green"
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2839 on: August 12, 2006, 03:39:59 pm »
Okay folks, after short deliberation... a little look ahead.

I will be wrapping up "Shelter From the Storm" (much as I lurv that title) as soon as the boys can buy tuxes, get the Red Stallion back in operation, hire a new bouncer (yes!  perhaps we have casting for Mr. Hot Extra, Lucise!) Mr. Lance England, and get to Ben Tooey's wedding.

And all's well that ends well except of course for Amos Marigold, Brad Sevigny, and a host of bad Brotherhood guys.

I have finally settled on a title for the next book which will cover things settling down in the Sheriff's department, Ennis gathering up a new crop of fillies for the Brown Horse Ranch, reconciling with his daughter Francine, he and Ellery buying a new horse and taking that long anticipated ride up to Brokeback together.  The working title of the next book is  "The Long Way Home".  I think.