Author Topic: Messages From The Heartland  (Read 2172593 times)

Offline jstephens9

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Messages From The Heartland
« Reply #3660 on: January 24, 2009, 04:18:07 am »
I will be there

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #3661 on: January 24, 2009, 10:31:15 am »
Hiya David!

I haven't seen Mirrors, but I saw one of the death scenes on You Tube.  The girl in the bathtub.  Ewwwwww.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #3662 on: January 24, 2009, 10:55:37 am »
It is about an overly religious mother who cannot accept her son's homosexuality. It got so bad he (Bobby) ended up committing suicide. Later the mother becomes an advocate for gay rights. It is based on a true story.

Here is some info about it on IMDb...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1073510/

Also I posted an article about it in my website. A straight actor from the movie describes his awakening in the article. Now he is an advocate for gay rights also...

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,31682.0.html

It should be a very good movie! I'm glad you will be joining us Jack! :D

Oh Wow! This sounds like something I just saw. I just watched For The Bible Tells Me So on Thursday night. It was such a great movie. But one of the people in the movie(It's basically a documentary) was a mother who was raised and raised her children as strict fundamentalists. The womans daughter turned out to be gay and hung herself in her closet. It was so heartbreaking. However, the woman became a gay rights activist and is a part of the group SoulFource that travels around the country speaking to churches and groups.
Her story is amazing all be it very sad. If you havent seent he movie yet I highly reccomend it.
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of nature
« Reply #3663 on: January 24, 2009, 11:05:11 am »
Hi.  Gosh I havent been in this thread since way back when you started it. 
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 05:11:28 pm by Brokeback_Dev »

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #3664 on: January 24, 2009, 01:26:05 pm »
Best Buy always tries to push those bullshit service contracts on everyone. I hate that. I bought a service contract for this computer and when I had a problem they said they couldn't help me and directed me to Gateway. So when I called Gateway, they directed me back to Best Buy! >:(

The employees at CC were always very nice. The store was clean and attractive and they never pushed the contracts on us. They'd ask us once and if we said no, they'd drop it. That is the way it SHOULD be. Best Buy is also very busy and disorganized. I can't find a damn THING in there. I feel like I need a map before I enter one of their stores.

That's the way I feel about Target, Lowes, and WalMart. However, I will at least go into Target and Lowes. I do not support anything about WalMart. I wouldn't get anything there if they were giving it away. I hate that store and all they stand for.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #3665 on: January 24, 2009, 03:21:40 pm »
Hey Shasta! Guess who will be in Indianapolis sometime between January 30 and February 8?

Kate Gosselin! She will be appearing at the Indianapolis Home Show. They just said so in a commercial for it. I like going to the Home Show. They actually build a real house- a BIG one - inside the convention center. It's fun to go in there and walk through it. But I don't think I really care to see Kate. I know you are a fan of the show so I thought I would tell you about it.

I don't know if Jon will be there though. :-\
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #3666 on: January 24, 2009, 03:27:24 pm »
That's the way I feel about Target, Lowes, and WalMart. However, I will at least go into Target and Lowes. I do not support anything about WalMart. I wouldn't get anything there if they were giving it away. I hate that store and all they stand for.

Since I have to take care of Dad during the day, I often go to Wal-Mart or Meijer late at night after he goes to bed. Otherwise I wouldn't shop at those places either. I really like Target but they close at 10:00 pm and Dad is still up then. :(

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3667 on: January 24, 2009, 03:27:47 pm »
Hey Shasta! Guess who will be in Indianapolis sometime between January 30 and February 8?

Kate Gosselin! She will be appearing at the Indianapolis Home Show. They just said so in a commercial for it. I like going to the Home Show. They actually build a real house- a BIG one - inside the convention center. It's fun to go in there and walk through it. But I don't think I really care to see Kate. I know you are a fan of the show so I thought I would tell you about it.

I don't know if Jon will be there though. :-\

Oh. That will be fun. Are you going to the Home Show? I would like to see Kate if the kids are with her! LOL. They are Soooooooo cute! And funny.

I've gone to Home Shows in Memphis that -- you go from one location to another and tour these fantastic houses that are for sale (that most regular people would never be able to afford, so it's a fantasy tour). Everything is so perfect and so expensive--like one room's furnishing costs  more than my whole house. LOL. But it's fun to look and see how the rich people live.  ;D
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #3668 on: January 24, 2009, 03:33:36 pm »
Oh. That will be fun. Are you going to the Home Show? I would like to see Kate if the kids are with her! LOL. They are Soooooooo cute! And funny.

I've gone to Home Shows in Memphis that -- you go from one location to another and tour these fantastic houses that are for sale (that most regular people would never be able to afford, so it's a fantasy tour). Everything is so perfect and so expensive--like one room's furnishing costs  more than my whole house. LOL. But it's fun to look and see how the rich people live.  ;D

Yeah, those houses are fun to walk through. It always amazed me how they manage to build real houses with furniture and electricity and EVERYTHING inside a building like a convention center. Amazing.

I don't know if I will go to the home show or not. I might if a few of my friends want to go, and most years they do. Gay men love things like that! ;)

What I really like is the RV show. That will be coming here soon too. You can go and look at all the motor homes, travel trailers and truck campers. They have hundreds of them there and you can go inside and look around. It's a lot of fun. They also have some houseboats there and you can go inside those too. :)

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #3669 on: January 24, 2009, 03:45:13 pm »
Oh Wow! This sounds like something I just saw. I just watched For The Bible Tells Me So on Thursday night. It was such a great movie. But one of the people in the movie(It's basically a documentary) was a mother who was raised and raised her children as strict fundamentalists. The womans daughter turned out to be gay and hung herself in her closet. It was so heartbreaking. However, the woman became a gay rights activist and is a part of the group SoulFource that travels around the country speaking to churches and groups.
Her story is amazing all be it very sad. If you havent seent he movie yet I highly reccomend it.

That's very similar to the experience of the mother in Prayers For Bobby. She believed for literally years that God was going to "heal" her son, and even interpreted the final warning signs of his impending suicide as a sign that he was being 'convicted of sin.'  His death, and the lack of any answers she got from the church she had been so loyal to, led to one of those personal crises where a person starts questioning all their core beliefs and eventually has to rebuild them from the ground up.  Mary Griffith eventually became very active in PFLAG.

Won't be able to see the movie till I can get it on DVD (work schedule, not a Lifetime subscriber) but I highly recommend the book it's based on.  Hopefully the movie will revive some interest in it (it was published in 1996).