Author Topic: Was: Laramie Tales: New Working Title: Tales of Greenlea County (ARCHIVE)  (Read 553015 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: Was: Laramie Tales: New Working Title: Tales of Greenlea County
« Reply #1320 on: January 13, 2007, 07:36:47 am »
I have been thinking about Wayne and this chapter. It is obvious he is very jealous...jealous of Ennis whom he "admires from afar"; jealous of Ellery for being with Ennis and jealous of their relationship. I think he is filled with regret about choices he has made, choices that have made him sick with a life-limiting illness. It is understandable that under the circumstances, the worst parts of his personality are coming out. Even so, I feel bad for him. I don't think Wayne is a bad guy, just a "lippy aggravating little shit," as Ennis would say.

Leslie
« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 07:46:46 am by MaineWriter »
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #1321 on: January 13, 2007, 07:45:31 am »
Yes, Leslie, a very good assessment of him.  And now because he is a customer of the bar instead of the bartender, he also has suffered a major "demotion" within the community he is so proud to be a part of, and that is also a cause for jealousy: and he is jealous of Lauren on two counts, for having the job of bartender, as well as for having an intimate, romantic relationship that considering Lauren's youth, is relatively long term and stable.  And so far no one has really called Wayne on his being jealous.  He had a relationship with Pete, and drove Pete off through his demands, and his jealousy of the time Pete spent being serious about his job at the insurance agency.   So unless he is the cock of the walk and has something to wave in other people's faces for them to envy him, he strikes out at those he himself is jealous of.

But - he is also sick, and Lauren cried a lot of bitter tears over Wayne's suffering, too... and since he has been in a state of relative remission, Lauren and others have pushed away that fact about Wayne, and this will come back to haunt them - all of them.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

yb

« Reply #1322 on: January 13, 2007, 07:57:13 am »
I love Ennis very much, but I feel he's always a little unfair to Wayne.  As far as I remember, Wayne hasn't done anything disrespectful to him, except for his overly explicit crush on Ennis.  I hope Ennis will turn around and ease up his attitude to Wayne a bit, who knows how long would Wayne live! 

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1323 on: January 13, 2007, 08:05:05 am »
I love Ennis very much, but I feel he's always a little unfair to Wayne.  As far as I remember, Wayne hasn't done anything disrespectful to him, except for his overly explicit crush on Ennis.  I hope Ennis will turn around and ease up his attitude to Wayne a bit, who knows how long would Wayne live! 

I agree, Betty, but unfortunately, Ennis seems to have gotten himself into a very anti-Wayne attitude and I think it will take quite a bit of effort on his part for him to change...and he has to want to change, too.

I am trying to remember...wasn't it Wayne who showed up with the bottle of Drambuie, when he got discharged from the hospital? They sat around and had a cordial drink together then. Things have really deteriorated since then but I think a big part of it is Wayne's bad attitude.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1324 on: January 13, 2007, 12:55:08 pm »
Getting a late start this morning after a girls' night out - but it was so great to wake up to all these thoughtful comments about Wayne!  Thank you all. 

I've been giving him a lot of thought myself and kept coming back to the fact that I can't help but like him and admire the courage he has displayed in facing AIDS.  I am sure that in his quiet, contemplative moments (and I know that Wayne must have them) he must be terribly, terribly frightened and feel terribly, terribly alone.  This just makes me so sad and also makes me more forgiving for his admittedly rude and hurtful behavior.  Sigh.

Yes, Leslie, I remember him coming by with that bottle of Drambuie - that was a nice moment.  I do wish Ennis could lighten up about Wayne - but Wayne does seem determined to push Ennis's buttons - and not in a good way.  Another sigh.  And to be fair, maybe Ennis isn't quite as forgiving of Wayne as everyone else  because of the Bill fiasco and Wayne's involvement there - Ennis got another punch in the face from Bill because of it.  But Wayne did finally come clean about it.  I do think, however, Ennis's strong annoyance with Wayne has more to do with Wayne just being Wayne and the "anti-Wayne attitude," as Leslie called it, that he just can't shake.  I don't know - very complicated situation and so many complicated personalities involved.

. . . .and since he has been in a state of relative remission, Lauren and others have pushed away that fact about Wayne, and this will come back to haunt them - all of them.

Oh, God, Louise - you're killing me here. 

Thanks, everyone!

Marie

P.S.  Jeremy deserves a raise!   :)
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1325 on: January 13, 2007, 01:02:49 pm »
Mornin' everyone!

As promised, here are the other three of the LT covers I've worked on.
Feel free to use 'em when you print the stories .. I will  .. ;)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1326 on: January 13, 2007, 01:03:33 pm »

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1327 on: January 13, 2007, 01:04:21 pm »

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1328 on: January 13, 2007, 01:08:39 pm »
Just so they are in the same place .. Here are the first two ..

Offline richardg49

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • 'Keep on trucking'
« Reply #1329 on: January 13, 2007, 03:54:01 pm »
Some more thoughts about Wayne and his bizarre behaviour:

I think it was DavidinHartford who memorably described Ellery as 'the Mayor of Queer Laramie' (or something similar). His marriage to Ennis and now the prospect of a 'reception' would no doubt be the biggest event in queer Laramie's social calendar, if not the only one. Naturally, everyone who knows Ellery and Ennis would be clamouring to be there. When he was the bartender, Wayne was a relatively significant figure in that community, and perhaps now that he has lost his job and possibly is about to lose access to the bar itself, he is anxious to hold onto whatever links he is able to maintain. Probably his only friends are those in the gay community, even though he seems to be going out of his way to antagonise them all.

It is interesting to remember that Wayne was in fact the very first gay man (apart from Jack) that Ennis ever met and talked to, on the day he went into the bar at the start of 'Taking Chances'. Ennis didn't like him very much even then, of course. 
I gave him what I hoped was that hopeful innocent puppy look that said “don’t you just want ta rub my tummy” rather than that hungry, ravenous wolf look that said “why don’t you just come out a that brick house so I can eat you up little pig?” LVH: 'What I did on my Day Off'