Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3185613 times)

Offline scudder

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #1740 on: July 18, 2006, 01:24:17 pm »
I live in Tucson, AZ.
Arizona doesn't go on Daylight Saving so in the summer we are the same as Pacific Daylight Time and in the winter the same as Mountain Standard Time.

Summer: EDT-3
Winter:   EDT-2

I am an old codger, a retired surgeon, and a recently proud gay man, thanks to Leslie!

Offline scudder

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #1741 on: July 18, 2006, 01:28:59 pm »
An Error.

Winter:  EST-2

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1742 on: July 18, 2006, 01:41:16 pm »
I'll dive in...

I think most people know, but  I am Leslie and I live just outside Portland, ME (I say Portland for convenience, because that is where my office is). I am happily married with two children, whose pictures have appeared on this thread. My son is 18, just graduated from HS and will be attending Hartwick College, Oneonta, NY, in the fall. My daughter turns 15 tomorrow (Jul 19) and will be a freshmen in HS. I am a nurse but my career has been mostly in research and academia. I keep up on clinical matters by working per diem at a free clinic and reading alot. My husband owns a woodturning and manufacturing company in Saco, ME.

I first heard of Brokeback Mountain at Thanksgiving. I read the story online and became hooked, reading anything I could find about the movie. I saw the movie the first time on Dec 27 and saw it 5 more times in the theater after that, the last being Mar 10 (the day of the Variety ad). I got a bootleg copy of the DVD on Mar 21, have a copy of the original Variety (with the ad) and the Oscar promo book, plus a bunch of other neat stuff, all stored in my reliquary. I started posting on IMDb in early January and was a "regular" in no time at all.

The first fanfic I read (in Jan) was Ennis: The Sequel, which was a movingon!Ennis story. It was good, but didn't hook me. I started my own writing about that time, with Clinical Fever. I discovered Human Interest (from a posting here at Bettermost, announcing that the last chapter was up) and read that in one sitting. While I liked that story, there were things about it that didn't sit quite right with me and that became the inspiration to write my own story, "A Love Born From Steel."

Being a fanfic author puts you in the community of other fanfic authors (and readers) and I started a busy correspondence with a number of people. One woman wrote me about her story and it was from her that I found out about Louise and Taking Chances. Interestingly, the woman was not commenting on the story, but rather, on its length and the speed with which Louise was writing it. I actually dug up her email:

I was feeling pretty proud of myself,  wow,  14 chapters,  what a body of work.  Then I saw  Taking Chances by Louisev and she has 74 chapters and maybe more.  Good grief!  I've only tested 6 and feel that I will have a nice long story for summer reading. You probably know all about it,  but I didn't so here's the link.
http://louisev.livejournal.com/2743.html

I didn't know "all about it" and that message is what got me hooked. That message was sent on May 20th, btw.

As an author, a lot of readers write and ask for suggestions as to what to read next. I began recommending Taking Chances, citing it as a great story with lots of action and a very sympathetic treatment of Ennis, post-Jack, and Jack, in death. I have found that it takes a bit of persuading but I have converted quite a few, including David, Scudder, DeeDee, and, I think Fred. (Fred, correct me if I am wrong on that).

I had started corresponding with Louise, chatting about the story (I found my first email message to her, written on May 24, so I obviously got hooked pretty quickly!). Meanwhile, a bunch of us were chatting here. That was the inspiration for the E&E thread. I started the thread on Jun 23, Louise joined us on Jun 24 and the rest, as they say, is history.

BTW, Louise and I are getting together in London (England) on Aug 5-6. Anyone who would like to join us is welcome.

Leslie
MaineWriter
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1743 on: July 18, 2006, 01:43:30 pm »
and Leslie you just cut out doing that editing thing before I get a chance to do corrections, otherwise...

I'll have to do my corrections and post my link after I finish.  You wouldn't want that now would you?

Sweetie, you know I suffer from that dreadful disease, "editor's eyeballs."

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Helen

« Reply #1744 on: July 18, 2006, 01:53:28 pm »
I did this somewhere else - hope y'all like it :)

Current Time Update

11.00pm Pacific time (JENNY, PASTORFRED, SCUDDER)

12.00 Mountain time (LOVEEMBOYS, LUCISE)

13.00 Central time (QUIPLASH)

14.00 Eastern time (DAVIDINHARTFORD, GN411, MAINEWRITER, NEATFREAK, NOTBASTET)

19.00 UK time  (HELEN)

20.00 Euro time  (BIGHEART AND LOUISE)

04.00 Eastern Aussie time 

http://www.worldtimezone.com/

« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 02:07:00 pm by Helen »

Offline DeeDee

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1745 on: July 18, 2006, 01:54:13 pm »
Most of you know me, but for those who don't:

My name is Diane.  Originally a New Yorker, now living in Baltimore, MD.  I am happily married with 5 furry children.  A schnauzer named Scout, A chow/lab named Smokey and three cats, Sabrina, Sammy and Simon.

I first saw BBM in New York on December 29.  I came back to Baltimore Jan. 1 and had to wait 10 days for it to open here.  Longest 10 days of my life.  Fell into the magic of this movie, and then found this wonderful group of people.

Two stories from 2 great ladies have been my addiction for a while now. 

With Leslie, Ennis and Jack spend their lives together and are happy.

With Louise, Ennis does move on to another life, with Ellery.

Either way, both stories have captured my attention and will continue to do so, if these two will get their butts out of chat, and back to their computers!!   :-*
In America sex is an obsession.  In other parts of the world it is a fact.

Marlene Dietrich

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #1746 on: July 18, 2006, 02:22:47 pm »
hey, I'm multitasking!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1747 on: July 18, 2006, 02:41:21 pm »
How awesome to read more on fellow E&E fans! 

Leslie, I so wish I could join you ladies in London! Wow!  Alas, that won't be happening ... :-\
You both better take some pix to share with us!  ;)

Offline ranchgal

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #1748 on: July 18, 2006, 02:48:12 pm »
Isn't it? Took me a while to get it on the computer...I have not been able to find it on the Internet. See the Heath Heath Heath thread for more details...

L

You have to go into the New York Times articles to see it, back during Oscar time.

Well I am aka as Patty--I live in the Northern Plains of South Dakota--it is only over 90 right now, 108 two days ago-we are in a cooling pattern. LOL  We are in Central Standard Time---rightnow known as Daylight Savings Time-which I hate with a passion.

Have 2 dogs, hundreds of cows, 6 horses, a husband and son-I make my living the same way Ennis did, though we own the ranch which helps alittle but not much.
Have seen BBM 6 times in the theater, and had to drive over an hour one way each time--loved it more every viewing--of course now I live with the dvd--which helps-all versions--and I of course also own every Heath movie available out there, along with most of his interviews and articles from before he was so popular on through now with Matilda and Michelle.   sometimes it seems like a wierd hobby---but I would rather collect and view Heath stuff than most hobbies so it works for me!  I found this through The Laramie Sagas on livejournal, and have never regretted making the journey here.  Also somewhat active on the HEATH HEATH HEATh thread too. LOL
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 03:00:36 pm by ranchgal »

Offline pastorfred

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • retired, free-lance, non-denominational pastor
    • spirituality handbook
« Reply #1749 on: July 18, 2006, 02:53:43 pm »
Howdy, y'all!

I'm a retired non-denominational pastor with over 20 years parish ministry experience in the Lutheran church (ELCA).

The story of my relationship with BBM tells plenty of my biography:

1.) I first saw the movie the day after it was released on dvd. Two days later I was thinking that I wished I could have met Ennis and Jack. Suddenly my knees buckled and I nearly fell down in the manner of Ennis as I realized that I had indeed met them. That story is at my lj: http://pastorfred.livejournal.com

2.) I wondered why I hadn't seen the movie in theatres. Then I realized that it had been released in wide distribution shortly after my wife's death last December 5. The movie was vitally important to me for catharsis. As I shared Ennis's grief I began to come to grips with my own.

3.) The movie has been a conversion experience for me regarding homosexuality. I thought I had a high degree of tolerance for LGBT people. I came to realize that they did not need my tolerance. I needed to accept them as my sisters and brothers.

Coming to the Laramie Saga has been another conversion experience, and the next step in my own grief work. My favorite AU is A Love Born from Steel. Leslie's involvement in the E&E thread set me up for the conversion. When I first read about the story, I thought that I couldn't read it. The next morning, while I was walking my dogs, Jack asked me if I thought that was fair to Ennis. I clicked on the link and began to read. Now I'm as addicted and obsessed with Ennis and Ellery as anybody.  :)
Peace be with y'all,
Fred