Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 9201462 times)

Online CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #10710 on: February 21, 2012, 09:14:52 am »

Hello Bettermost friends!

I hope everyone had a good weekend.  It was Presidents’ Day here in America, so I had Monday off and I did nothing!  :laugh:  Oh, it felt good to sleep in, and on top of that, at about 2:00 I took a nap!

Today is Fat Tuesday!  ;D  For those unfamiliar with that term, here’s a brief explanation, thanks to Wikipedia.

The terms "Mardi Gras", "Mardi Gras season", and "Carnival season", in English, refer to events of the Carnival celebrations, beginning on or after Epiphany and culminating on the day before Ash Wednesday. Mardi gras is French for Fat Tuesday, referring to the practice of the last night of eating richer, fatty foods before the ritual fasting of the Lenten season, which begins on Ash Wednesday; in English the day is sometimes referred to as Shrove Tuesday, from the word shrive, meaning "confess." Related popular practices are associated with celebrations before the fasting and religious obligations associated with the penitential season of Lent.

Today is my last day to eat meat, snacks and drink diet soda, as of tomorrow I’ll be pescatarian until Easter Sunday, which is April 8th.  Time to test the willpower and do this!

Hi Chuck! I'm fine, thanks. Hope you too   :-*

I've tried an iPad only once or twice, and I also found it fairly simple to use. I'm not computer savvy in any way, and have never used a Mac, but I still got the hang of the iPad fairly quickly. I could never use it as my only computer though, since the key board is too small and I need real keys for my fingers to find the right letter.

Re your laptop, may I suggest you consider a netbook? I bought one last year as a complement to my desktop, and I find it extremely useful. The screen is a bit on the small side, true, but it's very convenient for travels, fits in any bag and very light. Very easy to bring along.

I’ll have to shop around and see what I can find.  I have used smaller laptops and I don’t really like them.  Truth be told, I don’t like most laptops, as I like typing on a full size keyboard.  However, I’m sure that in my apartment space will be limited, so having a full sized computer would just be a waste of space I don’t have.  We shall see….

Chuck, tell us something good.

I want to go to Guyana to see this waterfall:

Jonestown has now been reclaimed by the jungle, but locals say you can still see an old tractor. An old tractor ain't worth making a trip for.

Love that waterfall pic!  Something good….well, I just had a typical Jersey breakfast (Bagel with Taylor Ham & Cheese) which I won’t be able to have for a while now.  LOL   It sure tasted good!

I also started wearing my white knot pin again, for marriage equality.  Since Gov. Christie vetoed the marriage bill, it seems like it’s time to put it on.

Have finally reached a motel with free unlimited wifi. My sister is catching up on over 50 messages. The previous motel where we stayed for 3 days charged $7 for 60 minutes and I found out this morning that meant 60 continuous minutes so I lost 40 yesterday when I thought I was saving them for this morning. As I said, they claimed it was available in all rooms but I found it only worked within about 20 meters of the aerial next to the swim pool.
The frig was badly frosted, the tv did not even sho all the free to air stations and not my favorite. The laundry was yuck, not cleaned in months I would say. One PowerPoint in the kitchenette for microwave, toaster and jug. The deck furniture needed a good scrub. I stayed at this resort 8 years ago in a camper an and it overlooks a beautiful waterfall and river. I was so disappointed. I remember a good meal in the restaurant but this time there was no menu and when we asked they said there was just roast beef and gave the impression they would prefer we went elsewhere, which we did.

I am slowly getting use to the iPad. I have used macs for over 20 years and as a librarian managed banks of them. I thought an iPad would be similar but it is very different. My fingers tend to hit the wrong parts of the screen.  I have used appleworks for years and years and find pages and numbers complicated for the little I do. I upgraded my laptop to lion and was horrified to find it no longer supports AppleWorks. My Christmas card data base has gone and all my documents more than about 4 years old. I will have to fire up my old Mac which I have not used for about 5 years.

However today we drove to cape Reinga which is the very top of nz. I was there 8 years ago but sister had not been there. I took her to Bluff the very south on feb 22 last year - a day to always be remembered, thinking of all the people in  Christchurch, one year after the big quake.

Hello Brian, glad to see you finally found suitable service for your internet needs!  It sounds like it was a big pain in the ass for a while.  Also sorry to hear about where you stayed, it seems like it’s gone downhill, and the current staff don’t care about the conditions or the reputation of the place.

Sorry to hear about your Christmas card database as well.  I have all my stuff stored on one of the drives at work.  LOL  During holiday time when it’s slow, I do my cards in my cube from work, and then stamp them and mail them out.

I can’t believe it’s been a year since the big earthquake hit Christchurch.  I remember waiting to hear a message from Matthew to make sure he and his family were all right, thankfully, they were.  I think I’ll go to the thread he started about it and leave a “thinking of you” post there.  I know he’s back in Christchurch now, visiting family.

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,48721.0.html

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #10711 on: February 21, 2012, 09:25:54 am »
Best of luck with the lent effort chuck!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #10712 on: February 21, 2012, 01:57:31 pm »
Why not have lentils for lent, Chuck?   ;D

They're tasty and healthy and cheap.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #10713 on: February 21, 2012, 03:05:28 pm »
Why not have lentils for lent, Chuck?   ;D

They're tasty and healthy and cheap.

healthy and cheap, maybe.  tasty?  debatable!

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #10714 on: February 21, 2012, 03:17:32 pm »

Well, you have to cook them first of course!

Online CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #10715 on: February 21, 2012, 03:48:00 pm »
OMG, I'm here at work, and the mail room attendent came over to me to ask if someone called 911, that the police were here tracing a call.

I said "Man in uniform?" and jumped up to help, and when I turned the corner, I saw this cop, and oh Hell was he sexy!

He was about my height, all trim, broad shoulders, salt & pepper hair, masculine jawline, and cute smile.  I was able to help him trace where the call came from, and determine it was a mistake.

From our office you have to dial a 9 to get an outside line, and then the 1 and the area code, so this person hit 1 twice and accidentally called 911.

I am like, all hot and bothered now!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #10716 on: February 21, 2012, 04:02:01 pm »
Well Chuck, go on and "accidentally" hit 911!   ;D

That's how you get him back!  8)

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #10717 on: February 21, 2012, 04:08:12 pm »
I hope you were wearing your white knot.

Whats up with Gov. Christie? Does he not recognize how history with judge him? (Like anyone should care about that, but c'mon!)
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Mandy21

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #10718 on: February 21, 2012, 04:10:45 pm »
I said "Man in uniform?"

I can literally picture you doing this, Chuck.  Were you checking your hair and your breath and making sure everything was tucked in proper as you were briskly walking over to help?  Guess you'll be having some sweet dreams tonight.  :laugh:
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #10719 on: February 21, 2012, 04:13:55 pm »

Depends on how you cook 'em. Lentil soup is yummy!
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.