Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 9052529 times)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #12960 on: April 26, 2014, 05:22:52 pm »
Hello Bettermost Friends!

Yup, it's Saturday (sleep in day) and it feels good.

I got some stuff done around the apartment, did some shopping, and spent some time online.  Was sunny before, but raining now...which is good, we needed it.

How is everyone else?

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #12961 on: April 26, 2014, 08:04:38 pm »
How is everyone else?
Unfortunately I have a very bad head cold and I have to spend tomorrow flying (about 4 hours) and sitting in airports as I return home after 13 nights in Sydney. That was about 8 nights too long. I now dislike my old home city very much. I enjoyed the Easter services in my old church and as usual the Anzac Dawn Service on Friday. We had to catch the 3.25am train to the city for the 4.30am service. They say there were 10,000 present. (in Dunedin there were 9,000 in a much much smaller city but it was at 6.30am and in Sydney there are lots of suburban services as well).
I returned back to my sister's home to watch the march on TV. Sadly while it remained fine for the Dawn service the rain set in for the march of veterans. That took 3 hours. Then we watched the Dawn Service in Gallipoli, Turkey (I attended that in 2002) followed by the Dawn Service at the Australian War Memorial in France. I have already made contacts about attending that in a long day trip from Paris next year.
Between Easter and Anzac my sister drove me back to where I use to live and we stayed 2 nights. It was strange being a tourist in the area where I lived for 28 years. We had glorious autumn weather. Thursday was the warmest April day for over 60 years. However my sister was developing a cold the day before we left and by the time we came home I had caught it.

When I get home tomorrow night (Monday) I will have just 5 weeks to prepare before I leave on my 6 week journey around the USA.

Offline brianr

« Reply #12962 on: April 27, 2014, 06:23:41 pm »
I am on my way and I hate flying. Sydney airport is getting as bad as the USA. They pulled me over for a full x-ray so I had to take my money bag off which has US$500 in it. My brother-in-law bought them for me a few months ago when the exchange rate was better. It has all plastic zips and does not show up in the usual walk thru. Then after the X-ray I had to pull out my throat lozenges and open them up?????  Finally while trying to stuff my computer and a rather thick novel as well as my camera and medicines into a rather small bag, I was pulled over for an explosive test.
Thankfully when I board the local turboprop lane in Christchurch to fly onto Dunedin there is no security, it is just like boarding a bus.
Reason why I prefer to travel by train. My only flights once I am in the US will be from Denver to Rapid City then Salt Lake City to Houston and onto New York.
 Flying hassles almost make me want to stay home. >:(

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #12963 on: April 27, 2014, 08:23:25 pm »
I totally agree with you Brian.....airports are the bane of travel.....
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #12964 on: April 27, 2014, 09:36:34 pm »
Yes, airports are not what they used to be.

Brian, sorry to hear about the head cold, I hope it clears up quickly and you can properly prepare for your trip to the US.

Speaking of your trip, in the Burning Blue thread, you mentioned you'd be in NYC June 16th - 21st.   According to what I've seen, Burning Blue will be released June 6th to "select theaters".   Perhaps we can find out where it will be playing, and do a Brokie dinner and movie viewing on Friday night, the day before you leave?

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline brianr

« Reply #12965 on: April 28, 2014, 12:03:29 am »
Yes, airports are not what they used to be.

Brian, sorry to hear about the head cold, I hope it clears up quickly and you can properly prepare for your trip to the US.

Speaking of your trip, in the Burning Blue thread, you mentioned you'd be in NYC June 16th - 21st.   According to what I've seen, Burning Blue will be released June 6th to "select theaters".   Perhaps we can find out where it will be playing, and do a Brokie dinner and movie viewing on Friday night, the day before you leave?
That would be great. I told some other friends who said (several months ago) that they would fly up from Alabama to see a show with me that I thought I might not be available Friday night as I thought that would be best for those of you who work.
Have reached Christchurch now, heavy rain and I have an hour flight home to Dunedin in a small turbo prop so expect a bumpy ride. The larger plane bounced around coming into land here.
I flew on the same planes last November. However due to daylight saving the Emirates flight from Sydney arrived an hour later. I was held up in passport control, then a long queue at customs although I was in the nothing to declare lane. It took well over an hour and I ended up running for my connection.
This  time the plane was half an hour late arriving but still half an hour earlier than last time. I had to choose the something to declare lane as I have bought vitamins and sugar (don't ask  ;)) I was through in under 20 mins so am now sitting with a coffee reading my email with over an hour until my next flight. Go figure.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #12966 on: April 28, 2014, 08:28:17 am »
Hello Bettermost Friends!

Only 27 days to Memorial Day and a three day weekend!  ;D

Hope that everyone has had a good weekend and is doing well.

I'm ok, got stuff done around my apartment, and ended up scratching off a lottery ticket that was a $100.00 winner.  ;D  Nice to have a little extra cash in my pocket.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #12967 on: April 28, 2014, 08:30:46 am »
That would be great. I told some other friends who said (several months ago) that they would fly up from Alabama to see a show with me that I thought I might not be available Friday night as I thought that would be best for those of you who work.

Have reached Christchurch now, heavy rain and I have an hour flight home to Dunedin in a small turbo prop so expect a bumpy ride. The larger plane bounced around coming into land here.

I flew on the same planes last November. However due to daylight saving the Emirates flight from Sydney arrived an hour later. I was held up in passport control, then a long queue at customs although I was in the nothing to declare lane. It took well over an hour and I ended up running for my connection.

This  time the plane was half an hour late arriving but still half an hour earlier than last time. I had to choose the something to declare lane as I have bought vitamins and sugar (don't ask  ;)) I was through in under 20 mins so am now sitting with a coffee reading my email with over an hour until my next flight. Go figure.

Sorry to hear about the weather making things bumpy for your flights.  I hope you are resting at home now!!!

I'll look into the Friday night show, and see if the movie will be out, and if Brokies will be available for dinner and a show!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #12968 on: April 28, 2014, 08:34:07 am »

Offline brianr

« Reply #12969 on: April 28, 2014, 02:52:41 pm »
Sorry to hear about the weather making things bumpy for your flights.  I hope you are resting at home now!!!

I'll look into the Friday night show, and see if the movie will be out, and if Brokies will be available for dinner and a show!
Flight was not too bad except, just before they reached me with coffee, the captain announced they would need to stop serving hot drinks due to turbulence. I got a biscuit and a glass of water. Luckily I had had time for a coffee in the Christchurch terminal. Poor old Christchurch is being flooded for (I think) the third time in 2 months. The drainage was all damaged in the earthquakes.
I realised my house key was in the bottom of my bag. Went into carport as raining but it was dark and I could not see my combination lock. Thankfully I have a hidden key in the garden (which I will not divulge on net  ;D) and it worked as I had not used it for several years but wrapped in plastic. Nice to be home in my own bed. Now 5 weeks before the big trip.