Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3155970 times)

Offline wonderland

• Don't Say Much
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #6820 on: November 15, 2006, 04:28:30 pm »
Well said Lori.

Offline Kelpersmek

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #6821 on: November 15, 2006, 04:38:39 pm »
That's when you have to support it the most, not the least.

You are a boon to any fandom.  Thank you.

One tiny teensy small thing... 'A Ghost of a Chance' is not parody!
"RAW PRAWN!!!! ->

Wait, my mistake, it's a lobster.  I love that fic!"
-Merrobot

Offline Kelpersmek

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #6822 on: November 15, 2006, 04:50:49 pm »
I already PM'd why I am thanking you, and it has nothing to do with me or my writing.

If you want to repeat what I said to you (publically) or just drop it, either is fine with me.
Both of you stood up there and said what was right, even if it was unpopular.  That's what I want to thank you for, and that's what I have been driving at for a long time now.
"RAW PRAWN!!!! ->

Wait, my mistake, it's a lobster.  I love that fic!"
-Merrobot

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #6823 on: November 15, 2006, 05:19:02 pm »
While we're in the mood to reminisce about Taking Chances, I just have to mention my favorite moment.

When Ennis and Ellery were about to share their very first tender moment, Jack's journal fell from Ennis's pocket and nipped everything in the bud, so to speak.

Ennis began to sob, and Ellery comforted him. Deep love was shared between them already because Ellery respected Ennis and Jack, even showing reverence for the love Ennis and Jack had shared over all the years.

I was a reluctant reader at first, not thinking I could imagine Ennis with anyone else, but with this first tender and deeply loving moment, I was hooked on the Laramie Saga.

Yep, Brokeback got me good, and the Laramie Saga got me, too, thanks be to God!

i agree Fred,
for me the moment when i knew this was going to be a very special story was in chapter 16 reconnoitering. When Ennis finally managed to ask Ellery what he was on about.

Ellery parked across from the bar and turned off the ignition, looking at Ennis carefully, quietly, as if sizing him up. Ennis was still gripping his hat, his silence loud, roaring in his own ears. Finally, as if tearing the words from somewhere deep in his guts he looked up at the man looking at him and said, in a low, tortured voice,

“What da you want from me?” And Ellery put his big, wide hand down over Ennis’s clutching hands, closing it slowly.

“Nothin you don’t want, Ennis. First – to get this shit with this slug Wilson straightened. And if there is anything more, if its friends or a drink in the bar or somethin else that is up to you. I ain’t no teenager, Ennis. I won’t put hands on ya. But you know where I stand, and if its what you want then its fine with me, whatever it is. No need ta be scared I’m gonna do nothin. I got a big mouth and maybe I am just a little to open flirtin an all that with somebody like you, but that’s just how I am with someone I feel good around. And that’s all it’ll be if that is all you want. But you don’t need to tear outta here because yer afraid I’m gonna put hands on ya because I won’t. Fair enough?”

That was it for me. I was hooked.

Wonderful writing louise!  :)  :)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2006, 05:20:43 pm by belbbmfan »
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline christie wood

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #6824 on: November 15, 2006, 05:37:56 pm »
sorry I didn't see this post earlier, Bob:

What surprised me most:  hm.... I would have to say, Dupree becoming a sleeper Main Character.  He was supposed to be a minor sidekick!

Yeah, I know what you mean about Dupree, who would have thought we'd be having these discussions abou this sexuality?  But I love it, I find him such an endearing and interesting character to read about.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #6825 on: November 15, 2006, 05:41:07 pm »
Utter shock, actually.  I was looking to create a character who was completely relaxed with Ellery and Ennis and surprised them both with his lack of concern, in light of all of the polarization and homophobia that they were all used to.  Which is why he ended up going for the extra work at the Stallion.

And now it looks like... he is one of the main characters... rivaling Wes in importance!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #6826 on: November 15, 2006, 05:52:45 pm »

And now it looks like... he is one of the main characters... rivaling Wes in importance!

And deservedly too!
Jeremy was definitely a lovable character from the start!  And then this ambiguity about his sexuality .. adds a whole other dimension to him!
Stroke of genius there Louise!  ;)

Offline MadLori

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Remember - Jack Nasty loves you.
« Reply #6827 on: November 15, 2006, 05:56:00 pm »
re: Dupree...I think he's more important than Wes at this point.

Now, to the more important question...why is there less smex in this book?  INo marginalization of the smex!
Jack:  I could kick your ass any day of the week.
Ennis:  Then the weeks where you live must have a No Fuckin' Way Day.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #6828 on: November 15, 2006, 06:06:12 pm »
there's less smex?

Does this mean I have to write "make up smex" ?
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #6829 on: November 15, 2006, 06:12:36 pm »
Louisev,  the constant sex between E&E is just assumed!

You know whose pants we want to get in!   ::)