Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3167086 times)

Offline magicmountain

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Fire from heaven
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #8530 on: December 11, 2006, 12:43:26 am »
Re-readers...

I leave this evening for a quick trip to Washington, DC, and tomorrow promises to be an 18 hour day from hell. I won't be online most of the day, if at all. I am posting the link to chapter 36 here (tomorrow's reading is 36-40) and I am going to count on you good people to come up with some great quotes...okay?

http://louisev.livejournal.com/11538.html

I should be back to normal (albeit exhausted) on Tuesday.

L
Have a good trip Leslie. You are doing a sterling job!
Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #8531 on: December 11, 2006, 06:12:07 am »
From chapter 36, Ellery explains what attracted him to Ennis . with the patented "You think I'm checkin yer spellin here, boy?"

“True, I ain’t got no back problem, and I ain’t got no Bill. But I haven’t got much else, Ellery. I ... I didn’t go ta no college.”

“Didn’t think you had, Ennis.”

“Didn’t even get to tenth grade..”

“I never thought about it.”

“Yer a college educated fancy intelligent man, Ellery.”

Ellery closed his hand over Ennis’s. “And I like you just fine just like you are. If college boys turned me on... you already heard this speech I think in one a my tirades ta Bill. Maybe its time ta pull you over the side a the road Ennis, an give you a talkin to. I am a loud, mouthy, opinionated bastard who drives like a demon and spends way too much time at work thinkin way too much about other people’s troubles. I got a bad back, a bad temper, and I can’t cook for shit, which is why my kitchen is so nice an clean. An for lo these many years – you talk about not gettin it fer two years – I haven’t had a good workout in the sack for four years Ennis, you know what that’s like?”

“Yeah. Yeah I do.”

“Well then imagine how I am feelin right now. You think I’m checkin yer spellin here boy? I don’t drop no twelve dollar t-bone steak in front a every guy who drives in from Sage on a weekend and ends up sittin in the bar at the Red Stallion, Ennis. I did it fer you. Only – fer you.”

Ennis gave him a frustrated, puzzled look. “Yeah. But – why?”

Ellery leaned over and dug his fingers into Ennis’s collar, pulling his face close. “Because I wanted you. And now that I had ya I want ya even more.”

Ennis blushed hotly, trying to look away.

“Don’t be pullin away here Ennis – look at me. You are some kinda special man. You had yourself somethin special you held onto for twenty fuckin years, even without two pairs a pants, an you really loved somebody. And what I been looking for all this time, while my temper got worse an worse an I got more and more lonesome sittin here in my nice little house with my nice little thousands a books an movies, is a man who knows what lovin is. You’ve done it. I been to college an I been a police detective for fifteen years but there is one clue I never uncovered, and that is how you love a man an keep lovin him. You have done it. Now I wanna know how.”
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline opinionista

« Reply #8532 on: December 11, 2006, 06:14:44 am »
Well, this is from chapter 30. I know is a few chapters back, but I just love this comment from Ellery

“Speaking of which,” Ellery ignored him, “How is ol’ Pete, and who is watchin him now?”

“Gene is supposed ta be.”

Gene is standing in the door posing for Playgirl. So who is really watchin Pete?” Ellery looked at Ennis. “Do you mind goin up to see everything is all right with Pete for me please?”

LOL
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8533 on: December 11, 2006, 06:58:18 am »
From Chapter 37:

Ennis stirred. “Ellery… I forgot about something. I got ta go get my truck, can’t leave it sit up by the bar like that.”

Ellery pulled back and sat up, eyes half mast with that stupefied, sex-drunk gaze. “Yeah, forgot that too. Anything that’s less than a mile from the Red Stallion I sorta put outta sight, outta mind. But I sorta wonder why Bill hasn’t called ta nag me again.”

“Don’t wish it on us, we can just go get the truck if you think ya can drive, then come back an I can make us some food.”

“I didn’t scare ya off with the boyfriend speech?”

Ennis looked at his soberly. “You didn’t mention no boyfriend, Ellery.”

“No its true but … you ain’t drivin off inta the sunset just yet?”

“No,” Ennis shook his head, a crease distorting the smooth brow. “I got ta think but I don’t got ta go just now.”

“I’m glad. There ain’t no pressure, Ennis, but I sure as hell liked doin that, an I want ta do a whole lot more of it if yer willin.”

“Just no whisperin in public diners. An… I wouldn’t suggest doin this other thing ta me where people are tryin ta be decent,” he laughed softly.

“You are changing Ennis Del Mar,” Ellery said, sitting up and looking at him.

“Yeah. Scarin me a bit. But maybe not so much. Scared me a whole lot ta think a sittin in my daughter’s den in an ol rockin chair an think I might never feel like this anymore, Ellery. Scared I’d die an never know if I would be happy for five minutes at one time ever again. An unemployment ain’t somethin’ I can endure before something has got ta give, an maybe all my holdin back an holdin back finally broke the camel’s back.”

“It ain’t so bad is it?” came Ellery’s soft voiced question.

“Dunno. Haven’t thought about it long enough.”

“Sure enough.” Ellery buttoned his shirt, wiped a hand across his mouth. “Let’s go get the truck then.”

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline opinionista

« Reply #8534 on: December 11, 2006, 07:47:19 am »
From chapter 38. This is beautiful

Ennis put the knife down, carefully, and sank into the kitchen chair, hands over his face, suddenly trembling as though with some long-delayed shock. “Jack – Jesus Jack.... “ He felt in his shirt pocket for his talisman, the journal, and wiping his hands carefully on his denims he flipped through the pages, past the entry he had read, so long ago, in Ellery’s bed.

“July 22: Ennis stayed up on the allotmint through breakfast an I about died without him. Went into the tent and just laid there smellin the blankets. This boy is not sane if he can’t be without it every six seven hours, and summer is wearing on too fast. Crazy about that boy. Wonder if he’s crazy about me.

Ennis put his head down in his hands, tears leaking through them, dry sobs making his shoulders heave, but only small sounds emerged. He was crazy about Jack... mad crazy, and didn’t know it, didn’t know it...he had stayed up on the mountain one morning, just so that he could think without Jack there, because whenever he was in camp, his eyes would follow that restless step, watching his body move, wanting him to come over and say something, to get within grabbing distance so he could knock off his hat, rile him, pull him down and over and get him under him... his breath came hard, like fire in his chest, a wave of grief fully as powerful as the wave of pleasure that had washed over him on the sofa, like the other shoe dropping from a world of shadowy pain.

“Jack... jes let me live,” he said softly. “Let me live, let me have this, don’t make me grieve you forever an ever...”

He heard a sound in the doorway. “Ennis?”

He looked up. He didn’t have his hat to conceal the coursing tears that were staining his cheeks, and he choked down the heavy lump that blocked his throat, a powerful cry of frustration and despair wanted to well up – to tighten itself into an angry shout, but he forced it back down.

“Nothin... nothin... jes... shit Ellery.” Ellery came across the room, arm raised to stroke his head, to offer some condolence, and Ennis held the journal out. “Read that, read that. Who am I ta make that boy want me so bad? What is it about me that he wanted me like that?”

Ellery looked at the scribbled pencilled passage. “You’re the one who loved em, Ennis,” Ellery said, his voice soft, pitched like the voice Ennis used to settle Gene down that morning. “Love is a powerful thing.” He stroked the short hairs over Ennis’s temple, smoothing them back.

“Well it fuckin scares the piss outta me, now ya know.” Ennis said, wiping his eyes and rising abruptly, stuffing the journal, now tightly clenched in his hand, back into his pocket. Somehow, he had to get through this. And somehow, Ellery’s simple reply had seemed to be the right answer to his question.

Ellery sat down at the table, looking at his hands for a while, silent. “I don’t spect you to stop grievin for yer man, Ennis. You might need ta take things a whole lot more slow...”

“No. I like this. I like bein with you. I like – fuckin you, makin dinner, watchin movies.” He bunched up his fists as if to strike out at whatever it was that was causing the pain in his guts. “I want this. I don’t want to take no slow nothin. I sat in a chair in Junior’s spare room for two years askin myself why I was such a fuckin goddamn cripple that I couldn’t jes do what I wanted and be with em like he wanted. Have a sweet life somewheres. Be queer. Well why couldn’t I? I don’t even know anymore, but I lost. I lost somethin I thought I was never gonna lose... and it pisses me off ta think about all this an how bad it all went and now I got somethin I like an I’m thinkin maybe I can’t have it, neither. Does that make any sense to you at all?”

He nodded. “Yeah it does. Ya might want ta turn down that water before it boils over.”

Ennis blinked then adjusted the fire on the range. “I don’ wanna go, but I think... I gotta think, and I can’t think around you. Don’ wanna go just yet but I just need ta ... go an sit under a tree an think about it. Do you understand Ellery?”

“Yeah, I do.”

“All I want ta do when you’re here is ta be with you, talk to you... all of it... but I got ta think. Will ya still be here if I do that?”

“Yeah, as long as ya need.”
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #8535 on: December 11, 2006, 07:59:05 am »
from chapter 39 Brokeback.

Ennis finds the letter Jack had written to him...

“Dear Ennis,

Maybe this is the kinda mushy shit girls do, but maybe that is just how I am. I ain’t never felt this way about anyone and I doubt seriously, being the ripe age of nineteen now that I will. Maybe I’m wrong. Never got too far with a girl and never wanted to, but I don’t want to let you go, boy. Don’t ever want to let you go. My Daddy is a tough bastard but when it comes to family keeps his mouth shut, and told me if I stayed up in Lightning Flat he would let me build a separate place, maybe a cabin instead of a full size house. There’s enough work up there for two hands besides him. I’m heading there when we leave, whenever it is, and I’m going to ask him about making the cabin and having another hand come up. It’ll be private no worry there. I don’t think I can go on thinking bout living the rodeo life instead of being with you. Ennis you got me good, please, think about it. Because I love you. Jack.”

this chapter got me good too louise.
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #8536 on: December 11, 2006, 08:15:19 am »
you guys got all the good quotes!  I didn't realize how painful that stuff was to go back to reading! ai yi yi.  Poor Ennis!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline richardg49

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • 'Keep on trucking'
« Reply #8537 on: December 11, 2006, 07:08:08 pm »
from chapter 39 Brokeback.

Ennis finds the letter Jack had written to him...

“Dear Ennis,

Maybe this is the kinda mushy shit girls do, but maybe that is just how I am. I ain’t never felt this way about anyone and I doubt seriously, being the ripe age of nineteen now that I will. Maybe I’m wrong. Never got too far with a girl and never wanted to, but I don’t want to let you go, boy. Don’t ever want to let you go. My Daddy is a tough bastard but when it comes to family keeps his mouth shut, and told me if I stayed up in Lightning Flat he would let me build a separate place, maybe a cabin instead of a full size house. There’s enough work up there for two hands besides him. I’m heading there when we leave, whenever it is, and I’m going to ask him about making the cabin and having another hand come up. It’ll be private no worry there. I don’t think I can go on thinking bout living the rodeo life instead of being with you. Ennis you got me good, please, think about it. Because I love you. Jack.”

this chapter got me good too louise.

But equally good is Ennis' letter in reply.

From Chapter 40:

“Dear Jack,

You was a stupid ass ta be in love with me becuss I wasnt ready for nothing at all except fucking and talking and drinking. And you got to know that I am fucking sorry for that. In sum way I wish I could make time go backwerd and I could be as smart as I am today but I dont have any power to that. But I can say that I am sorry. I been sorry for every minute since I last saw yer sad blue eyes and you were killed. You were beautaful to me, Jack. You were the most beautaful man in the world to me but I never told you and that I am sorry for to. I found a new man who told me he is goin to find out how you died and if you was killed I will find the men who did it and get vengence.

You were beautaful to me and I loved you. And I will always be sorry I never told you those two things. But I wont be sorry at all to find out how you was killed. I made a grave for you on Brokeback so you can be where you wanted to be, and when I can I’ll come back here and put flowers on it and say a prayer for you.

I will always love you. And any body who comes up to Brokeback will know I did. Ennis Del Mar.”

I love that line 'You were beautaful to me and I loved you.'
I gave him what I hoped was that hopeful innocent puppy look that said “don’t you just want ta rub my tummy” rather than that hungry, ravenous wolf look that said “why don’t you just come out a that brick house so I can eat you up little pig?” LVH: 'What I did on my Day Off'

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #8538 on: December 11, 2006, 07:17:10 pm »
ah yeah, sigh.

I debated with myself about whether to write "I loved you" or "I love you", but I thought in Ennis's case, he wanted to stress the point that he had lost Jack, and that he had loved him then, and he was beautiful to him, and had held back - then.  But that he no longer feels the need to hold back on that recognition of what he had felt when Jack was alive.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8539 on: December 12, 2006, 01:27:08 am »
I am home from Washington and it is Tuesday (although it is very early in the morning) so for the re-readers, today we tackle chapters 41 to 45.

Link to 41 is here:

http://louisev.livejournal.com/12990.html

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!