Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3167531 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #8550 on: December 12, 2006, 10:19:15 pm »
Marie, we all concentrate on the smaller details....that is what is making this re-reading so much fun!

Stay tuned for the next installment...

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Bigheart

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #8551 on: December 13, 2006, 05:30:40 am »
As promised Leslie!  ;D

I'm not re-reading though...... :D

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #8552 on: December 13, 2006, 07:07:37 am »
Not yet, anyway  :)

I still don't feel well  :( and have so little time  :(

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #8553 on: December 13, 2006, 07:26:41 am »
I'm almost done with A Second Chance. WHAT a good story.......
"I couldn't stand it no more so i fixed it"

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #8554 on: December 13, 2006, 08:40:48 am »
Good Morning Ellery!   :-*   Good Morning Ennis!   :-*

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8555 on: December 13, 2006, 09:24:37 am »
Today's reading: Chapters 46-50

http://louisev.livejournal.com/14324.html

The opening paragraph of Chapter 46:

Without discussing anything in detail, they fell into a sort of domestic rhythm; Ennis, always restlessly awake shortly after dawn, rose, made coffee, sausages, eggs, and toast, reading a bit until Ellery was out of the shower, and came in to get his breakfast out of the pan, then he put away “The Last Trail” and sat down to breakfast, spent a little while making out on the sofa before Ellery pulled himself back together and buttoned his uniform shirt, straightened the badge on his pocket and went off to work. Ennis cleaned up from breakfast, scrubbing everything bright and washing the pans by hand, even though Ellery had a dishwasher. He wasn’t sure he trusted machines to wash dishes just yet.

I love them spending a little while "making out on the sofa." LOL

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8556 on: December 13, 2006, 09:47:05 am »
From Chapter 46, the punch that ruined a honeymoon:

Ennis tried to back up but was held fast. Bill stared, his eyes red and swollen, as he blubbered in Ennis’s face. “I can’t live without him, I love em, an you took em from me.” Ennis raised his arms, trying to break the grip of Bill’s arms, and then Bill released his collar and swung hard, catching Ennis on the left cheek, and sending him to the floor, seeing stars.

“Damn you Ennis, I ain’t never gonna forgive you fer takin him away from me!” Bill shouted. He threw Ennis’s hat down on top of him. “Get outta here, jes get the fuck outta here!”

Ennis climbed dizzily to his feet and made it to the door, swaying. He stumbled as though drunk down the sidewalk, regretting how far away he had parked, but finally made it to his truck, still faint, his stomach queasy. He wanted to roar away in his truck, but was too faint to do so for long minutes, and hoped that Bill had not followed him. He set his head down on the steering wheel of the truck, muttering to himself. “Stupid stupid fuck, Ennis, why’d ya have ta try ta reason with him?”

L

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #8557 on: December 13, 2006, 09:50:48 am »
Today's reading: Chapters 46-50

http://louisev.livejournal.com/14324.html

The opening paragraph of Chapter 46:

Without discussing anything in detail, they fell into a sort of domestic rhythm; Ennis, always restlessly awake shortly after dawn, rose, made coffee, sausages, eggs, and toast, reading a bit until Ellery was out of the shower, and came in to get his breakfast out of the pan, then he put away “The Last Trail” and sat down to breakfast, spent a little while making out on the sofa before Ellery pulled himself back together and buttoned his uniform shirt, straightened the badge on his pocket and went off to work. Ennis cleaned up from breakfast, scrubbing everything bright and washing the pans by hand, even though Ellery had a dishwasher. He wasn’t sure he trusted machines to wash dishes just yet.

I love them spending a little while "making out on the sofa." LOL

L

I was just going to say the same thing! - another little detail I had forgotten about - making out before work! Brings a smile to my face!  :)

I love Ennis not trusting the dishwasher - that is so funny!  I can relate to it -  I still wash most of my dishes by hand - once I've scraped and rinsed them, I figure I might as well go the rest of the way!   :laugh:

Thanks - Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8558 on: December 13, 2006, 09:56:19 am »
From Chapter 47, aftermath at the hospital:

At that, the ambulance attendant, who Ennis found out later was named Jimmy Wheatley, rolled the gurney back into an emergency room, where they waited for the X-rays, and Jimmy stood by with oxygen and a emesis basin in case Ennis fell asleep or started vomiting again.

“Real sorry, Ellery,” Ennis said again, mournfully.

“We ain’t got ta talk about this now Ennis. We just got ta find out what’s wrong an get you better from it.” He patted Ennis’s arm gently, apparently unconcerned about anyone seeing the show of affection. “I’m just damn glad they called me.”

“I told em to. Said you was a friend a mine.”

“That you are, Ennis.” He patted his arm again and then leaned down, placing a soft kiss on his cheek, his eyes gleaming. “You just rest now. Yer gonna be all right.”

L

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8559 on: December 13, 2006, 10:03:23 am »
Chapter 48, an affectionate name from Ellery....

They had put Ennis in a private room, at Ellery’s instructions, and Ellery had filled out paperwork for the hospital and ambulance charges. Ennis lay propped up, a bandage covering his purple, swollen cheek, sipping on a Coca Cola.

“Wish I had some a that Glenfiddle, Ellery,” he grumbled, setting it down. “This just ain’t doin it.”

“I’d sneak some in but that’d mean I would have ta leave, an I ain’t about ta do that, lover.”

Ennis blushed, looking down. “It was really my fault. I shoulda known Bill wasn’t gonna listen ta me if he wasn’t gonna listen ta you. And he wanted to get a lick in. All dirty fighters got ta get a lick in.”

“You went down to the bar, Ennis?”

He nodded. “Yeah. Don’t tell me, I know it was dumb.”

“What’d you say ta him, just curious.”

“I told him me an you didn’t have nothin ta do with him... that it just happened. An he had ta understand that it was over. First he was cryin and weepin and carryin on all boo hoo, an then he grabs onta my shirt and tells me he ain’t never gonna forgive me for takin you away from him. Then – bam.”

“Stupid ass Bill. I ain’t his for you to take. I’m mine. When is he gonna get that through his idiot skull?“

L