Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3165817 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #8830 on: January 07, 2007, 11:36:43 am »

I would love to hear Ellery speak more about his parents - his mother in particular.  Recent developments with Jeremy and Nick have also had me thinking - we know Ellery's mom died when he was young, and his dad died before he started college.  So he never had to come out to his parents - but I do wonder if his grandfather knew - and how the subject came up with his surrogate parents, Wes and Edna. 

Thanks - Marie

That's such a good question, Marie. I think the only time Ellery has mentioned his mother was when they were on Brokeback, planting the flowers around Jack's gravestone. He talked about how she liked flowers and that's how he knew their names.

Another time, he said something about not breaking his father's heart (because he was gay). He also commented that he never got married (or had to get married) because his parents weren't alive to bug him about it.

I would like to know more about what his grandfather thought/knew. Remember there was the summer when he was recovering from his heartbreak with Beagle? And yes, more about Wes and Edna and his sexuality would also be interesting.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #8831 on: January 07, 2007, 11:58:41 am »
That's such a good question, Marie. I think the only time Ellery has mentioned his mother was when they were on Brokeback, planting the flowers around Jack's gravestone. He talked about how she liked flowers and that's how he knew their names.

Another time, he said something about not breaking his father's heart (because he was gay). He also commented that he never got married (or had to get married) because his parents weren't alive to bug him about it.

I would like to know more about what his grandfather thought/knew. Remember there was the summer when he was recovering from his heartbreak with Beagle? And yes, more about Wes and Edna and his sexuality would also be interesting.

L

Oh, yes, the Brokeback trip.  That was so traumatic - not just for Ellery and Ennis - but for me, too!  Ennis in so much emotional pain.  Ellery in so much physical and emotional pain.   :'(

Can't you just picture that gangly, dark-haired, beautiful little boy picking flowers with his mother?   :'(

When Ellery told Wes about his suicide attempt, he said that his grandfather didn't know about it.  He said his grandfather just thought he was grieving from his dad's death.  But our loved ones are so often more aware than we give them credit for, arent' they? 

More to ponder.

Thanks - Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8832 on: January 07, 2007, 12:01:36 pm »
Oh, yes, the Brokeback trip.  That was so traumatic - not just for Ellery and Ennis - but for me, too!  Ennis in so much emotional pain.  Ellery in so much physical and emotional pain.   :'(

Can't you just picture that gangly, dark-haired, beautiful little boy picking flowers with his mother?   :'(

Oh, God, now you have me in tears!

When Ellery told Wes about his suicide attempt, he said that his grandfather didn't know about it.  He said his grandfather just thought he was grieving from his dad's death.  But our loved ones are so often more aware than we give them credit for, arent' they? 

More to ponder.

Thanks - Marie

Exactly. I would love to know more.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #8833 on: January 07, 2007, 01:31:09 pm »
Oh, yes, the Brokeback trip.  That was so traumatic - not just for Ellery and Ennis - but for me, too!  Ennis in so much emotional pain.  Ellery in so much physical and emotional pain.   :'(

Can't you just picture that gangly, dark-haired, beautiful little boy picking flowers with his mother?   :'(

More to ponder.

Thanks - Marie

What struck me very much in Ellery when he and Ennis were on Brokeback together, was the fact that Ellery even didn't allow himself to feel sad and lonely, thinking of his mother's death. He was angry at himself for feeling the way he did, thinking that he was ruining Ennis's time up there.

and on a more lighter note: this is my 500th post! Yeehaw  :)
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #8834 on: January 07, 2007, 02:06:07 pm »
What struck me very much in Ellery when he and Ennis were on Brokeback together, was the fact that Ellery even didn't allow himself to feel sad and lonely, thinking of his mother's death. He was angry at himself for feeling the way he did, thinking that he was ruining Ennis's time up there.

and on a more lighter note: this is my 500th post! Yeehaw  :)

Congratulations on your 500th post, Fabienne!!!   :)

Excellent point about Ellery's reaction on Brokeback.  He loves his Ennis so much.  That entire trip was such a complex knot of emotions twisting and turning painfully together - just exhausting, really - and so exquisitely written! 

Thanks - Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8835 on: January 07, 2007, 02:15:53 pm »
Congratulations on your 500th post, Fabienne!!!   :)

Excellent point about Ellery's reaction on Brokeback.  He loves his Ennis so much.  That entire trip was such a complex knot of emotions twisting and turning painfully together - just exhausting, really - and so exquisitely written! 

Thanks - Marie

I am looking forward to re-reading it, actually. I find I am picking up so much more on the re-read than I did the first time around.

Fabienne, yes, congraluations. 500  more posts and I get to teach you the secret handshake.

And Fabienne, Louise told me you have a bound copy, covered in notes written in Dutch!

L

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #8836 on: January 07, 2007, 02:43:47 pm »
I am looking forward to re-reading it, actually. I find I am picking up so much more on the re-read than I did the first time around.
L

So true.  There are so many layers - I may have to do some re-re-re-reads!   :)

Marie

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #8837 on: January 07, 2007, 03:31:10 pm »

Fabienne, yes, congraluations. 500  more posts and I get to teach you the secret handshake.

And Fabienne, Louise told me you have a bound copy, covered in notes written in Dutch!

L

tsk, tsk, tsk, Louise, spilling the beans like that! LOL

yes i do, i have been taking notes while rereading and looking up all the words i didn't understand and didn't have time to look up the first time i read the story!  ::)

like: ubiquitous!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8838 on: January 07, 2007, 04:01:52 pm »

tsk, tsk, tsk, Louise, spilling the beans like that! LOL

yes i do, i have been taking notes while rereading and looking up all the words i didn't understand and didn't have time to look up the first time i read the story!  ::)

like: ubiquitous!

Ubiquitous is a great word. You know another one I like? Eponymous.

Now, Fabienne, teach me a great Dutch word!

L

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #8839 on: January 07, 2007, 04:31:59 pm »
okay,

how about 'lieverd', that's 'sweetheart', very E & E!  :)

*off to look up eponymous