Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3165630 times)

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #9110 on: February 07, 2007, 02:44:40 am »
hello rereaders!  :)

today's chapters: 26 - 30 http://louisev.livejournal.com/82055.html

chapter 26 The Wrath Of The Sheriff

Ellery looked at Joe, went to the door, made sure it was closed. “I think it’s someone in Marigold’s office an he played with the custody book, or it was Amos himself.”

“You think he took the book an put an entry in it?”

“Custody clerk ain’t gonna look twice at an assistant D.A., Wes,” Ellery said.

“They got procedures down there. I want this... J.J.Jakes... I want ta talk ta him about this.”

“He ain’t on. He’s on swing shift.”

“Which means he comes in at three. I’ll call Grimes an tell em to come up with Jakes when he comes in, an have the day guy cover. I will handle this personally, Ellery. I don’t want you involved, for obvious reasons. This is interdepartmental.”

“Meanwhile we got a rifle that ain’t Worrell’s rife. Or ain’t the rifle Worrell was found with at the time he tried ta kill Ennis at your ranch,” Ellery said.

“You know that for sure?” Wes rubbed his eyes. “This is gettin worse an worse.”
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #9111 on: February 07, 2007, 02:49:08 am »
and more from chapter 26.

“Wes, has my car been released? I got ta call somebody to get it fixed an stop usin Ennis’s truck. He is gonna beat me black an blue when he gets the truck back and finds I wore the clutch out.”

“Yeah, it has. Go ahead an take care a that.”

“I also need ta bring em to the doctor for followup on his back.”

“Sure. That leaves... what?”

“Any clues from Allen’s wife in Cheyenne about his investigation or the person he had photos of.”

“His lawyer, too,” Wes said.

Joe spoke up. “I can look into those, Ellery can take care of his car an bring Ennis in to see the doc.”

“Thanks, Joe, it is good of you to help out considerin how much overtime you booked in July an in August so far.”

“That’s what we do here, help out,” he smiled equably, and Ellery shot him a grateful look and went to his office to call Ennis. Joe stayed in Wes’s office and closed the door, emerging several minutes later.

“You talkin to the boss about me huh Joe?” Ellery called from inside his office, setting the phone down.

Joe drifted over and poked his head in the door. “I told em yer overworked, overwrought, not thinkin straight, an if someone doesn’t step in an help out yer gonna blow a gasket, an Ennis gettin kidnapped hasn’t even penetrated yer head yet. An when it does you might need some time alone ta get shitfaced and empty a few magazines at the shootin range.”

“Nice a you ta put in a good word for my morale, there, Joe,” Ellery said soberly.

“Anythin for a friend an colleague. Just don’t miss my boy’s weddin.”

Thanks Joe  :) :-*

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #9112 on: February 07, 2007, 07:29:02 am »
Hi everyone,

Life interfered a little bit for the re-reading. Sorry about that! Fabienne, thanks for keeping us on track...

From chapter 27, an interesting exchange that I had forgotten about:

“Sure, not a problem,” Dupree started his car, an older model Pontiac of the same vintage as Edna’s Bonneville, and followed the El Camino out the driveway and the few blocks to Natale Chevrolet, where he pulled up before one of the service bays and hurried in to leave his keys, then joined Dupree in his car.

“This is a little ol’ lady car, Dupree,” he commented, getting in. “And neat as a pin. Now I am wonderin if you are queer.”

Dupree snorted. “You can ask my last girlfriend if I’m queer, she’d reply “You mean Jeremy Octopus?”

Ellery laughed. “You shouldn’t grab on the first date, Dupree, only queers can get away with that.”

“You pretty much got together with Ennis on the first date didn’t you?”

“It took half a bottle a Glenfiddich, an it had been a fuckin long time fer both of us Dupree, it’s different. But yeah, if ya boil it down.”

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #9113 on: February 07, 2007, 07:33:39 am »
More from chapter 27:

“I suppose you aren’t into ranchin."

“My daddy ran pretty far away from ranchin, actually,” Ellery said. “An that was a long time ago for me.”

“Cantrells, yeah, I bet my Daddy knew yers or at least yer granddaddy. Sublette an Fremont counties, is where he had his ranches, as well as some big acreage in Montana.”

“Don’t go spittin out names an places, boy, I tried ta put that out a my head when my daddy died,” Ellery said, shaking his head in warning, a cloud passing over his face.

“Sorry,” Sevigny said.

“This goes a long way ta easin our minds there, Brad, now that we know yer name really is Brad.”

“I don’t want ta have nothin ta do with my family anymore. Not after my daddy treated me like he did when he found out I was queer.”

“I can understand that, you ain’t alone in that. I’m glad my daddy didn’t live long enough ta see my heart get broken by somebody who wasn’t a girl.”

Sevigny gave him a sympathetic glance. “At least my daddy don’t hate me enough ta cut me off from my trust fund, that would hurt the family pride.”

“Of course it would.”

“I imagine yer trust fund was bigger than mine though, cause mine is shared with five brothers and sisters.”

“Let’s leave me trust fund out a this, we came to ask you questions, Brad,” Ellery said brusquely.

“Sure.”

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #9114 on: February 07, 2007, 07:35:18 am »
Chapter 28:

“Thanks Wes.” Ellery left the phone booth and walked back from the corner of the apartment building to his truck. Sevigny was standing nearby, and he smiled as Ellery approached.

“I was wonderin where ya went,” he said.

“You got somethin else ta tell me?”

“Ya coulda used the phone in my apartment ya know.”

“It was connected to the computer I thought,” Ellery said, dodging the real reason.

“I have two telephone lines.”

“Oh. I’ll know next time I got ta call in a warrant.”

“You gonna arrest em? Prescott I mean.”

“Well, my associate is, yes, if we can find em.”

“You… serious about that guy you are with, Chief Deputy?” Sevigny asked.

“That would be a personal question, Brad,” Ellery said, raising an eyebrow.

“Yeah, it is I spose.”

“And I’m not answerin personal questions about my personal life, so you can dispense with the rest of em.”

“Well I was just wonderin… cause I think you are just the hottest thing on two legs, if ya don’t mind my sayin so…. Ellery. That Ennis don’t know how lucky he is.”

“I do mind yer sayin so, so from now on you can just think it, all right?”

Sevigny pouted. “Don’t take compliments too well do ya?”

“I’m here ta take statements, not compliments, Brad. You have a good day now, an stay indoors so ya don’t get spotted by members a that Brotherhood a the Cross.”

“Fine,” he turned away and walked back up the walkway to his apartment. “You have a good day too, Chief Deputy,” Sevigny tossed over his shoulder.

Ellery gave him a tight smile and climbed into Ennis’s truck. “Hottest thing on two legs, I guess he likes legs,” he said to himself.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #9115 on: February 07, 2007, 09:37:14 am »
Happy Hump Day, all!

Thanks, Fabienne!  Thanks, Leslie!

From chapter 27, an interesting exchange that I had forgotten about:

“Sure, not a problem,” Dupree started his car, an older model Pontiac of the same vintage as Edna’s Bonneville, and followed the El Camino out the driveway and the few blocks to Natale Chevrolet, where he pulled up before one of the service bays and hurried in to leave his keys, then joined Dupree in his car.

“This is a little ol’ lady car, Dupree,” he commented, getting in. “And neat as a pin. Now I am wonderin if you are queer.”

Dupree snorted. “You can ask my last girlfriend if I’m queer, she’d reply “You mean Jeremy Octopus?”

Ellery laughed. “You shouldn’t grab on the first date, Dupree, only queers can get away with that.”

“You pretty much got together with Ennis on the first date didn’t you?”

“It took half a bottle a Glenfiddich, an it had been a fuckin long time fer both of us Dupree, it’s different. But yeah, if ya boil it down.”

I had forgotten that, too, Leslie - it was very interesting! 

Jeremy must have taken Ellery's comments about his little ol' lady car to heart - by the time Jeremy meets Nick he is driving a red Toyota!  I wonder if he threw some papers around in it so it wouldn't be "neat as a pin!"   :laugh:

And that comment about "Jeremy Octopus" - should have known that was fishy! (Yes, that was bad - you may groan now!) 

Thanks!

Marie

The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #9116 on: February 07, 2007, 09:45:24 am »
Happy Hump Day, all!

???  ???

Jeremy must have taken Ellery's comments about his little ol' lady car to heart - by the time Jeremy meets Nick he is driving a red Toyota!  I wonder if he threw some papers around in it so it wouldn't be "neat as a pin!"   :laugh:

And that comment about "Jeremy Octopus" - should have known that was fishy! (Yes, that was bad - you may groan now!) 

Thanks!

Marie

:laugh:  :laugh: Do we have a groaning smiley?  :P

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #9117 on: February 07, 2007, 09:50:17 am »
???  ???

Hump day, middle of the week, Wednesday. Another American colloquialism to add to your vocabulary, Fabienne!

L

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #9118 on: February 07, 2007, 09:54:02 am »
From Chapter 30, we get contemplative Ellery:

He also wondered what he was going to do about the Red Stallion. He was without a bartender or bouncers, even though both Dupree and Ennis were now on the mend, but the security issue remained: and the next bartender he hired, he would have to do a full background check as part of the interview. Maybe it was time for him to consider selling it. But then again, under the shadow of a crime spree targeting queers, it would be a terrible business decision for him to close down an otherwise busy and lucrative bar in a desirable part of town, near the sheriff’s station, and then dispose of it.

Besides, he didn’t want to get rid of the bar. The Red Stallion was the right kind of bar: not exactly “down low," so therefore, men could find it if they know what they were looking for in the newspapers in the larger towns, and yet it was discreet enough that passersby perceived it as a private billiard hall or card club. That was how Ellery wanted it to stay, and closing the bar would destroy a fragile and discreet reputation the Stallion had built up: not threatening to the business district it was a part of, and providing a safe environment for queer men to meet and socialize. It was a social experiment, and one Ellery was very reluctant to end, since it would take away an important element of queer life in Laramie.
He reached for a cigar and lighted it, taking long, slow drags. There was too much to think about. He once believed that he thrived on stress, but it appeared this was no longer true. Age, experience – and perhaps most importantly, Ennis – had taken most of the thrill out of living a stress-driven life. He looked at their body armor, lying in the heap of hastily abandoned clothes, wondering how long it would be before they could both step out of the house and be certain they were safe.

He glanced down at Ennis’s face, the faint lines of age that had begun to appear around his eyes and between his brows, now smooth, youthful, as if he had grown young in sleep, transformed to an earlier, more innocent time when life seemed more certain, and he frowned, unhappy. He, Ellery, was responsible for much of the risk that faced Ennis now. Was it wrong for him to ask him to work at the bar, which had led to the beating and kidnapping? Or were there Langs always lurking somewhere, ready to lash out at someone preventing them from living on the edge of life, imposing themselves on the world around them as if they were entitled to it? He felt guilty, and his guilt made him consider, for the first time, whether it would be better for Ennis – no, for both of them – to sell the Red Stallion.

Ennis stirred in sleep, a tiny whimper, frightened-sounding, escaped him, and his eyelids squeezed together, tears squeezing out. Another small sound – from between slightly opened lips – and he fell back into his dream. Perhaps he was dreaming of the attack. It was worth asking Ennis about the idea of selling the bar – it was he who had been kidnapped, after all.

This is such a great chapter - love getting into Ellery's mind, where we hear his thoughts both as "Mayor of Queerville" about his "social experiment"  - and as Ennis's man about the weight of worry and responsibility that comes along with loving someone.

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #9119 on: February 07, 2007, 12:39:13 pm »
*ack!*

I cant believe I wrote all of that!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”