Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3131775 times)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #9200 on: February 18, 2007, 02:14:53 pm »
Wonderful selection of quotes, as usual - thanks, Leslie.  And that evidence kit was great -some day (or week) I need to find the time to look through all 600-odd pages of this thread - I'm sure there's a lot of great stuff!

God, I loved this part - a real Puddle of Goo moment:

His chest thundered with the sound of his racing heart, and he forced his eyes open, reached out his hand, and slid it over to where Ellery’s left hand lay passive on his knee, grasping it tightly. Ellery looked up, surprised, and returned the grip, holding on, and then gave Ennis a warm smile, a smile that lighted his smoky eyes to bright silver. This is the reason.

Ennis's emotions overflowing after they got home . . . that was so real and so well-written.

Any scene with Dupree is always interesting - now that we know of Dupree's attraction to Ellery, his attachment to him really stands out in these scenes.   These kind of statements always stand out now, too:

“Which means I ain’t gonna answer you on the grounds that it’ll get you ta start fixin me up with femmy young things with high voices from yer bar an I really do not need that to get over Tatiana.”

[/i]

No, you need a naughty sailor with a lot of muscles and penchant for lickin'!   :)

And Ellery at the bakery really was too funny - the guy's worth $25 million and he gets his muffins for free - ain't that always the way!  LOL!

Thanks - Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #9201 on: February 20, 2007, 10:40:50 am »
Today, chapters 86-89...this book ends at 89.

http://louisev.livejournal.com/97235.html

Another famous conversation...

Ellery nodded. “Then that is all I need ta know. I ain’t gonna let Wes bully me into makin you into a rancher if you don’t want ta be one.”

Ennis picked up his chicken again. “I don’t care if you got a hundred million dollars. Well I do... but it won’t change my mind about ranchin.”

Ellery smiled wanly. “What if it’s only... twenty five or so?”

Ennis gulped. “Twenty five or so... million... dollars?”

Ellery nodded, dropping a hand into his lap.

“Jesus Christ, Ellery. Then you could afford ta paint this house somethin other than that awful gray.”

“Yeah, I could,” Ellery said sheepishly. “Ya want me ta?”

“Yep.”

“An if you ever really want somethin that costs money, you’ll tell me, right?”

“I guess I should. Lemme ask you... how come when this first came up, you said you had a couple a million dollars?”

“Cause I do have a couple. Plus some.”

“You was afraid I was gonna run off weren’t you?”

Ellery picked up a cob of corn and then set it back down again. “Still a little afraid a that, Ennis.”

“Well, boy, I figure it ain’t your fault.”

Ellery stared. “It ... ain’t my fault?”

“Havin all that money. Just like it ain’t my fault my parents died an left twenty five dollars in a coffee can, it ain’t your fault yours died an left you twenty-five million. It’s just... a bigger coffee can.”

Ellery breathed out an audible sigh. “You don’t know how relieved I am ta hear that, Ennis.”

“But now ya got ta get the house painted.”

Which reminds me....they still haven't gotten the house painted!

L
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 10:53:25 am by MaineWriter »
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #9202 on: February 20, 2007, 10:45:45 am »
Chapter 87:

Ellery, still kneeling, opened his eyes and looked down into Ennis’s face, which instead of being flushed and glowing, was still, his eyes wide open and gleaming with a tragic sadness. “Sweetheart,” he whispered softly, raising a hand and stroking his cheek.

“This ain’t fair,” Ennis whispered in response. “This ain’t fair ta you.”

“What ain't fair, Ennis?” Ellery asked, but his chest tightened as he sensed what Ennis was about to say.

“Please don’t get mad at me Ellery, I feel bad about this as it is.” Ennis put his hands over his face, almost as if he were about to burst into tears, but did not, then forced his hands back down.

“I won’t get mad, Ennis.”

“When you were suckin me off, I was thinkin a when Jack did that the first time,” he said, his voice dropping as though making a painful confession.

Ellery smiled. “That why you came like that?”

Ennis nodded, squeezing his eyes closed. “I’m sorry. I shouldn’t be thinkin a Jack when I’m fuckin you.”

“Why not?” Ellery rolled onto his side. “It ain’t like you asked me ta cut my hair or get a tan or nothin so I could look like em.”

“I like yer hair long,” Ennis replied, avoiding the question. “I need a fuckin smoke.”

Ellery reached for the box of cigars and took one out, then grabbed the matches, handing them both to Ennis, and said nothing, giving him time.

Ennis lit up and inhaled greedily, letting out a cloud of smoke with a long sigh. “Damn, I missed that.” He handed Ellery the cigar. “It just feels wrong, darlin. I am in love with you. I do love you.”

“I know that. I ain’t worried about Jack, Ennis.”

“Why the hell not? I get green as grass when you mention Beagle or Bill or...”

“Well maybe I might feel different if Jack had been callin on the phone every other day or just sent a love letter a week ago, Ennis. But it ain’t yer fault you loved em, an I don’t get jealous that ya loved em, an you told me months ago that you were always gonna love em an yer just provin you ain’t a liar about that.”

“Shit,” Ennis said, accepting the cigar back and puffing on it. “You got that right. I don’t want ta rub it in, but I think about em a lot.”

“Look at it this way, Ennis. How many people did you tell about how you felt about Jack? How many people, before you told me?”

“I mentioned it in passin ta Bill when I went ta the Red Stallion. An Pete because he kept naggin me about it. An I think Jack’s momma knew, I told her Jack an I was real good friends.”

“Yeah but you didn’t tell her he was the man you were in love with all those years, did ya?”

Ennis shook his head. “Nope. Couldn’t do that.”

“So I was really the first person you spelled it all out to.”

“Yep.”

“An I’m the first man you got it on with after losin Jack.”

“Yep, ain’t been nobody else. An I don’t count Alma because I never did like ta do it with her, daughters or no daughters.”

“This shit is gonna come up, Ennis. If you do the same thing in bed with me you did with Jack, it’s gonna come back to ya. You don’t think sometimes I don’t think a some other guy sometimes? I do. I ain’t gonna rub yer nose in it, but it happens.”

Ennis gave Ellery a sharp look. “I ain’t tryin ta rub yer nose in it, Ellery, I’m tryin ta be honest here. Fact is... I feel right now like I’m just usin you, because I can’t have Jack, an that makes me feel real guilty.”

Ellery reached over and put a hand on Ennis’s shoulder. “If yer usin me then we’re both usin each other. The best thing is yer talkin about it. If you never said one little word an this was all goin through yer head, I would be real worried. But yer diggin it out. It got stirred up from the weddin, an that shit when it gets stirred up is hard. But it gets better, Ennis. It does.”

“Like you an Beagle?” Ennis looked at him suspiciously.

“Yeah. I had some nightmares, but they don’t happen as much. I get upset from the letter, but I ain’t so upset anymore. That’s how it goes if you take a risk an love somebody, Ennis. It hurts like a bitch sometimes, an then it gets better.”

“You ain’t mad?”

Ellery shook his head. “No. I ain’t mad.” As he took the cigar back from Ennis, he tapped the ash on the ashtray and then took a deep drag. He wasn’t mad at Ennis, but his chest still ached with the tightness of anxiety as he thought, will he ever love me the way he loves Jack?
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #9203 on: February 20, 2007, 10:48:48 am »
Chapter 88:

“Are you pleased with Ellery’s choice, Ennis?” Edna asked as she came up to the gate.

“Now ya see, this horse has been curried every day, I can feel by her coat. Nice an thick an full, an there ain’t no sign a dead skin or loose hair. Somebody did a real good job takin care of her. Yeah, I’m pleased. Didn’t get ta ride her though, I was too busy laughin at how she walks.”

“How she walks? Oh you mean her gait, yes, I always found those a bit odd ta look at.”

“Maybe I ought ta give her a ride an see how it goes. Ellery was pleased as all get-out though.”

“I can’t believe he just up an bought a horse. We’ve known that boy almost twenty years an never showed a lick of interest in ridin or ownin an animal.”

“Maybe he had ta get ranchin out of his system or somethin, Edna.”

“Or maybe that’s how much he wants to please you, Ennis,” she said, her voice softening. “He cares for you a whole lot, Ennis. Why the two a you all dressed up in those tuxedos the other day, I wish I could a had a picture.”

“Somebody did take a picture... that photographer, said we were the nicest lookin men there.”

“Well you were, an it made my heart just melt, Ennis.”

“Edna!” Ennis dropped his hand where it was patting Milagro’s shoulder, and Edna blushed.

“I guess I ought ta go put lunch on then, you mind havin a pastrami sandwich?”

“Not at all, thanks.” Edna retreated to the house, leaving Ennis grinning as he watched her go.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #9204 on: February 20, 2007, 10:53:57 am »
Chapter 89:

Half an hour later, Ellery was dressed in black denims, t-shirt, and a black denim jacket, standing outside the paddock as Nellie and Millie sniffed one another and nuzzled each other. Ennis came out of the tack room, wiping his hands on his thighs.

“Hey, sweetheart,” Ellery said, putting an arm around Ennis, and to his surprise, Ennis accepted his embrace, swinging his own arms around Ellery and offering him a kiss.

“Edna said you had news,” Ennis said, searching his eyes.

“How’d you like to take two weeks off an go up to the Tetons?”

“Whoo wee!” Ennis tossed his hat in the air. “This for certain?”

“I just need ta finish up this week’s paperwork, an hopefully find another server for the bar.” Ellery nodded toward the paddock. “Looks like those two are gettin along.”

“You should a seen em a couple hours ago,” Ennis said. “An you thought I acted jealous.”

“Want ta go for a ride, just you an me?”

“You mean just me an you an Nellie and Silly over there?”

Ellery laughed. “Yeah, that’s what I mean.”

“Let’s saddle up!” Ennis said, and Ellery followed him into the tack room.

They rode for an hour, in the rapidly cooling afternoon, taking an easy trail ride that caused Ellery no pain whatsoever, and afterward, they went in to sit with Edna and have coffee and then put the horses in and went home.

As they sat together on the patio, watching the sunlight fade toward evening, Ellery poured them shots of Glenfiddich and cleared his throat. “The judge wouldn’t let Worrell go back to Texas. Chances are we’ll start the trial in October, November some time.”

“That means I got ta go on the stand, don’t it?”

Ellery nodded. You an me both. You think yer gonna be ready for that?”

“I dunno. But I better call my little girl an tell her I will really be comin ta Riverton this weekend. You ready to meet both a my little girls?”

“If you can get on the stand an testify against Jack’s killer then I can face up to meetin both a yer daughters at once, an the ex wife if the occasion arises.”

Ennis held out his hand, and Ellery grasped it. “I think that’s a deal.”

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #9205 on: February 20, 2007, 01:36:30 pm »
The end of this book already?  Well, thankfully there's more!  Nice selection, Leslie.  This little part at the beginning of Chapter 86 reminded me of all the changes, big and small, that have taken place:

When he returned, Ennis opened two bottles of beer and handed him one. “Here’s ta me goin three days without smokin.”

“Damn, Ennis, that is real good, congratulations,” Ellery said, lifting his own beer, and they clinked the bottles together. “I decided I’m gonna cut down too.”

“Might be hard not ta smoke after gettin fancy though.”

“Yeah, well maybe we can share a smoke then.”

“You think that is still an improvement though, one cigar a day?”

“Half a one, an these are technically cigarillos, Ennis.”

“I’m just sayin. I don’t want ta end up ya know, gettin cancer or nothin. I got a lot ta live for.”

I love that Laramie is turning into a smoke-free zone -   well, maybe not smoke-free, but smoke-less!  Edna needs to pester Wes a lilttle more!

Which reminds me....they still haven't gotten the house painted!

L

That's right!  I loved your comment on LJ, Leslie, about Ennis, the $25 mill and the house painting!  So true - only Ennis would think of something like house painting first thing! LOL!  I wonder if he'd allow a painter to do it or if he'd insist on doing it himself - of course, we know that Ennis painting, wearing shorts, bare-chested, sweating . . .  always a Good Thing!

This part makes me wonder . . .

“Or maybe that’s how much he wants to please you, Ennis,” she said, her voice softening. “He cares for you a whole lot, Ennis. Why the two a you all dressed up in those tuxedos the other day, I wish I could a had a picture.”

“Somebody did take a picture... that photographer, said we were the nicest lookin men there.”
[/i]

. . . what did that photographer ever do with that picture?  I always imagined it would show up, somewhere, sometime.  And we know that a crying Junior caused Ennis to agree to reception pictures!

Chapter 87 was so well-written, and so real - but so wrenching.   The wonderful thing about the human heart is that its capacity for love is infinite.

Thanks!   
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #9206 on: April 06, 2007, 11:15:33 am »

Here is the beginning of the rework of my story, as long promised.  Events have overcome the need to start on this, and to acknowledge the more-than-editorial contribution of my co moderator and friend, L.H. Nicoll, without whom there would be no "Taking Chances" or the remainder of the stories in what our friend Jo from Sydney had nicknamed "The Laramie Saga" but is actually something... quite different.

I knew all along I was working on another tale, and that Ennis represented more than anything, a widower of my acquaintance who knows who he is, who lost his beloved and found a new love on his doorstep, literally.

EL, LE, and RY, you know who you are, so we don't have to pretend to be writing a mere derivative tale any longer!  I hope those of you who found the BBM fanfic tale worthwhile, will find the original tale worth reading as we go through the various stages leading to a publication of a purely original work with no connection to Brokeback Mountain or its film.

NOTE TO FAN ARTISTS:  We ask that you do not continue to use images of Heath Ledger as Ennis in any fan art you may produce.  I have had a chance to talk with some Ozzies about the close relationship that Heath has with his audience and the fan community, and as a serious auteur whose work Leslie and I respect greatly, we wish not to cause him, or the screenwriters, or the author of Brokeback Mountain, any concern that we are using any images for anything more than inspiration to a tale that has unfolded as our own love affair with this great story and magnificent film have inspired us.  We are working diligently to dispel any misconceptions about the fanart and images that were associated with the fanfiction version of the tale.

And god bless underwear models for the body shots!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #9207 on: April 06, 2007, 11:34:42 am »
And god bless underwear models for the body shots!

Yes indeedy! 

All fanart I created was for the E&E fanfic and for our own "visualization" of the characters, the scenes, etc.
I think we always knew that none of them could actually be used in any real publication of the tale..
Still, it was fun to have a gallery going as we experienced the story... :)

yb

« Reply #9208 on: April 06, 2007, 11:38:38 am »
Louise

I am very excited about this news.  I have a question, though, will you be posting the re-worked story on lj or wait until it's published?  I'm sad about not using Heath as Ennis but I think that's in the best interest of the story.

OK, I have another question not related to the story.  You know I am an (obsessed) Heath fan, can you tell more about your talk with the Aussies about Heath's close relationship with his audience and fans?  I am dying to know about it.  Thanks.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #9209 on: April 06, 2007, 11:40:25 am »

Still, it was fun to have a gallery going as we experienced the story... :)

It was a wonderful, wonderful experience. Part of me is a little sad that that part of the adventure is over. On the other hand, we have a new and better adventure ahead. Hang on for the ride, everyone!

L