Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3165744 times)

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #2450 on: August 01, 2006, 08:46:59 am »
I think just to rub it in, I'm going to count the number of ACTUAL "sweethearts" tendered in each volume, and we can vote on "too much" or "too little."

One of the fiercest criticisms I ever got for my stories was Ennis calling Ellery "boy"  because it seemed demeaning (I think that was the criticism.)  I went through the first two books (the only two at that time) and counted up how many times in two volumes each of them called the other "boy."    Ellery called Ennis "boy" 26 times and Ennis called Ellery "boy" 5 times.  So much for who is demeaning whom!

I thought the boy thing was part of the way they talk, since everybody uses it. Wes, for example, calls both Ennis and Ellery, boy. I think even Dupree uses it or is called boy as well.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline magicmountain

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Fire from heaven
« Reply #2451 on: August 01, 2006, 08:50:57 am »
I have recently been re-reading the Saga from the beginning and have realised that my mental image of Ellery changed from that early encounter with Ennis. He came across then as well built and a bit mysterious and very cool. I could hear his deep voice and imagine his big hands matching that very sexy black outfit.

As we got to know the man behind the front I stopped hearing the deep voice. Somehow the "sweethearts" didn't go with that voice in the same way as "boy" or "lover" or "babe" does. Surprise, surprise, it turns out that underneath that macho image, Ellery is thinly built with a fragile back and quite emotional, volatile and sentimental. So he calls Ennis sweetheart, which Ennis seems to like. Ennis too, turns out to be a bit of a wuss underneath that balefule glare.  

I have had to recast my mental image of both to take all this in. Because I had no preconceived idea of Ellery it was easier to do with him. He evolved as we got to know him and he became more human rather just than a fantasy man. He is like a high spirited, nervy, thoroughbred horse. The new more overtly emotional Ennis has been more of a challenge to get used to but I think his emotions have been raw and much nearer the surface since Jack's death. He is now much more emotionally vulnerable than ever before and less emotionally resilient and stoic - which may be a good thing and a bad thing. He is, of course, a wild bronc in the bedroom - but elsewhere ?

Now for my favourite line which I paraphrase here from memory:

Ellery: Sometimes it seems you've got too many hormones going round in you and they all rush to yer cock.

Ennis: Yeah. That's how it feels.

Immortal lines Louise.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 10:03:53 am by magicmountain »
Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #2452 on: August 01, 2006, 09:09:43 am »

Now for my favourite line which I paraphrase here from memory:

Ellery: Sometimes it seems you've got too many hormones going round in you and they all rush to yer cock.

Ennis: Yeah.that's how it feels.

Immortal lines Louise.

dies with laughter..  Oh yeah.  THAT one!  It is a very technical explanation
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline scudder

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #2453 on: August 01, 2006, 09:19:19 am »
Well, I'll jump in.  I have never liked  "sweetheart" applied to male or female.  My favorite term for both is "dearheart".  "Darling" sits well with me as does "dude" or "bud".  The others are just to sugary for me.

Offline scudder

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #2454 on: August 01, 2006, 09:24:10 am »
Being raised in the South in the twenties and thirties, "boy" was the term used by whites to refer to blacks whaatever their age,  and certainly was not an endearment.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2455 on: August 01, 2006, 09:27:29 am »
Re: pet names...I think you get to a point you use a name and don't even realize it. For example, because of this discussion, this morning I noticed I was calling my husband "sweetie" and franklly, if you asked me yesterday, I might have said I never called him sweetie in my life! LOL My children I call "sweetheart" and "honey" all the time, that I know.

I also think people have a few of these endearments in their lexicon..."babe" at certain intimate moments, honey, sweetheart, and sweetie. No darlings, lover, baby, cowboy, snookums, lumpkin, or pookie for us.

A few weeks ago, I called a patient sweetheart. Now THAT was embarrassing!!

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #2456 on: August 01, 2006, 09:40:57 am »

A few weeks ago, I called a patient sweetheart. Now THAT was embarrassing!!

Was he about 6 foot 1, 190 pounds, short blond hair, brown eyes,a smattering of freckles over his nose?

Where the heck are you anyway?  Logan Airport waiting for your flight?
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2457 on: August 01, 2006, 09:43:16 am »
Was he about 6 foot 1, 190 pounds, short blond hair, brown eyes,a smattering of freckles over his nose?

Where the heck are you anyway?  Logan Airport waiting for your flight?

Sure am, gate A17. I am also hanging out in chat, where are you?
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2458 on: August 01, 2006, 09:45:20 am »

I wish. LOL. No eye candy here at gate A17, either. Sigh....

Offline scudder

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #2459 on: August 01, 2006, 10:08:04 am »
If I could find something that was remotely enjoyable to look at then fine....but snapshots of home-grown Rocky Horror Picture Show parties (which is all I kept coming up with...) believe me scudder, you don't want to see these people. LOL

Leslie

I'm thinking of the Torch Song Trilogy.  There are a lot of scenes in the dressing room with people in variuos stages of undress.