Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3166550 times)

Offline pastorfred

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • retired, free-lance, non-denominational pastor
    • spirituality handbook
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #3150 on: August 23, 2006, 04:00:20 pm »
The dark-haired..grey-eyed boy of Ennis' dreams ...  :)

:o

Oh, mercy! Oh, my! This is Ellery Cantrell in the photons!

Those eyes! They can look into your soul. You can see the kindness, pain, wit, wisdom, and goodness of Ellery in them. Looking into those eyes, you want to tell him everything. Whenever this picture pops up, I can hardly take my eyes off it.
Peace be with y'all,
Fred

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • no way out but through
« Reply #3151 on: August 23, 2006, 04:10:40 pm »
SPOILER!

Milli - did you see yet?? you get to be ridden by Ellery, you lucky girl you... I bet/hope Ennis will give you a try as well!

All right Natali - time for you to post your Paso Fino stuff!
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline opinionista

« Reply #3152 on: August 23, 2006, 04:59:41 pm »
For those of you who are wondering what is a Paso Fino or a gaited horse, here is some information and pics:

History and Origin of the Breed

The Paso Fino has a proud past and is one of the oldest native breeds of horse in the Western Hemisphere. In 1492, Columbus discovered a continent without horses. On his second voyage from Spain, he brought a select group of mares and stallions from the provinces of Andalusia and Cordela, and settled them at Santo Domingo. These horses were a mixture of Barb, Andalusian and Spanish Jennet. The Spanish Jennet not only possessed an extremely comfortable saddle gait, but also was able to pass the gait on to its offspring. The result of the blending of these horses was horses with an incredibly smooth gait, which would evolve into the Paso Fino breed.

How did the Paso Finos come to the United States?

The first paso finos in the United States were imported from Puerto Rico by members of the armed services who were stationed in Puerto Rico and purchased paso finos while living there. Rather than sell these amazing horses when they left, they brought them back with them and this stock provided some of the first paso finos bred in the United States. Later a rancher went to Colombia and purchased quite a number of Colombian paso fino horses to work his cattle. This added the second strain of paso fino and while the two strains are still bred to retain their purity, they are also mixed to produce the best of both in this country.

The gait

The Paso Fino is a four-beat lateral gait, the birthright of every Paso Fino. Newborn foals struggle to their feet and take their first faltering steps in gait. The Paso Fino can walk freely, and many of them can perform a collected canter of a relaxed lope as well. It is essentially a broken pace: it is lateral, not diagonal. The cadence of the 1,2,3,4, beat is rhythmic with equal time intervals between hoof beat. There is very little up and down movement in either the croup or the shoulder of the horse. The gait is performed at three speeds with the collection decreasing as speed increases. Paso Fino means "Fine Step".

The three forms are :

PASO FINO Sometimes called "Fino - Fino" the classic show ring gait. It demonstrates rapid, steady, unbroken rhythm of the hooves with every slow forward speed. Performed with the horse balanced and collected.

PASO CORTO A more relaxed form of the gait that is commonly referred to as the natural Paso gait. Paso Corto is the ideal trail and pleasure gait, executed with only medium collection and light contact on the bit. Most Paso Fino horses prefer this gait to walking.

PASO LARGO The speed form of the gait. The same 1,2,3,4 rhythm must be maintained and the rider should appear motionless in the saddle as he should be at all speeds of the gait.

The Paso Fino is a versatile horse able to adapt to a variety of climates and purposes. Its aficionados claim that the Paso Fino is the smoothest riding horse in the world because of its natural, even, four beat gait that can be performed at varying speeds. A Paso Fino can, of course, walk in a free manner and may have a delightful canter

Some Paso Fino horses

If you want to see how they gait, the link below has some videos of Paso Finos trained for shows. Scroll down and you'll see the links to the videos.

http://www.pasopedigree.com/

« Last Edit: August 23, 2006, 05:09:26 pm by opinionista »
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3153 on: August 23, 2006, 05:12:23 pm »
SPOILER!

Milli - did you see yet?? you get to be ridden by Ellery, you lucky girl you... I bet/hope Ennis will give you a try as well!

What?  Where?  When?  :D :D  Hawt damn!
Gotta go read .. I am still at work.. :)

Nice new avatar Kelly.. ;)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3154 on: August 23, 2006, 05:13:32 pm »
                                                         :o

Oh, mercy! Oh, my! This is Ellery Cantrell in the photons!

Those eyes! They can look into your soul. You can see the kindness, pain, wit, wisdom, and goodness of Ellery in them. Looking into those eyes, you want to tell him everything. Whenever this picture pops up, I can hardly take my eyes off it.

Amen Fred!  :)

DeeDee ~ You are fantabulous for suggesting Hugh as our Ellery!!!  :-*

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3155 on: August 23, 2006, 05:27:39 pm »
“Come on Millie, canter for me,” and she raised her head, letting her legs fly out and took off at a lively canter. Ellery reined in almost immediately to the smoother gait, a wild grin on his face, and dismounted.

“What a horse!” he exclaimed, face flushed with excitement.

:D :D

I can canter for E & E anyday!!!
Cheers Louise!  I get to be the fine horse of Ellery's dreams .. Oh, the thoughts of him riding me are ...well, frankly overwhelming in a very pleasurable way ...  :P ;D

Wahoo!!  ;D

Oh, by the way Natali, I had posted that first paso fino in the Horse Gallery under "Potential Horse of Ellery's dreams" ..  Umm, not to gloat or nothin', but that  would be me!!  ;D

« Last Edit: August 23, 2006, 05:29:22 pm by Lucise »

Offline opinionista

« Reply #3156 on: August 23, 2006, 05:56:38 pm »
Oh, by the way Natali, I had posted that first paso fino in the Horse Gallery under "Potential Horse of Ellery's dreams" ..  Umm, not to gloat or nothin', but that  would be me!!  ;D

I didn't know, but thanks for telling me.  :)
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3157 on: August 23, 2006, 06:24:34 pm »
I didn't know, but thanks for telling me.  :)

Natali ~ I think it was destined to be, since we both thought of the same horse..
And as the said horse, here I am:  ;D

Offline DeeDee

« Reply #3158 on: August 23, 2006, 07:09:16 pm »
If I were a horse Milli, we'd be dating by now...stunning my dear!
In America sex is an obsession.  In other parts of the world it is a fact.

Marlene Dietrich

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3159 on: August 23, 2006, 07:11:44 pm »
If I were a horse Milli, we'd be dating by now...stunning my dear!

Umm..Dee, technically, we are married!  ;D
Well, on the performance thread at least..if I proceed to play Alma..lol