Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3184464 times)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #3470 on: September 04, 2006, 11:46:43 pm »
Chapter 19: In Memoriam

Great work Louise.  Cheers.
I read it through twice, I loved Ennis up there with Jack... I love that he told him he loved him.
Beautiful.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2006, 12:04:23 am by Lucise »

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • no way out but through
« Reply #3471 on: September 05, 2006, 12:19:04 am »
sometimes, when you help someone else, you end up helping yourself too. And the fact that Ennis is being open about his pain, about his love for Jack, it could encourage Ellery to be open too about whatever he feels about Ennis pain or his relationship with Jack.

(I'm back and starting to get caught up on chapters!)

Nat, what a lovely thing to say above.  I am fearful about how Ellery will handle all of this... but I hope you are correct in the sense of Ennis being open encouraging Ellery to be open, etc...

I think if we look at what happened with Beagle and Ellery, we know Ellery isn't perfect, that he has trouble dealing with his emotions sometimes too... but Ennis really helped him get through that... so I think even if Ellery does end up having unexpected trouble with Ennis' revelation about Jack... I think Ennis will still be there for him, and they will be able to work through it.  I think they have made that committment to each other - and I think they will both honor it.

(Of course, all of this is speculation... Louise has done masterfully so far, so, que sera sera...)
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #3472 on: September 05, 2006, 12:35:13 am »
I don't really know what to think about all that Ellery's said to Ennis.
I'm all torn up inside and confused...
Gotta let of all this sink in properly...

You know, I think Ellery and Ennis may feel exactly this same way, June...

(I just finished reading Chap 16 Ranchin' Up...  I only skimmed thru most of the commentary... and i'm behind, but my 2 cents, since I'm allowed: Ellery's allegiance here is to Ennis... he sees Ennis in terrible pain, and he is trying to help ease Ennis' pain by pointing out some problems with Jack's dream.)
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #3473 on: September 05, 2006, 12:38:11 am »
People make choices everyday that effect their lives.   The trouble is that we don't know after the fact if they were the right ones or not sometimes.

We all question decisions we have made in the past.  But we still dont know where tomorrows decisions will lead us.   Pro or con.

So much wisdom around here, it is nice.

PS - Fred - thanks for showing us you're human too, by doing the 'angry' post...
 ;)

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #3474 on: September 05, 2006, 01:23:55 am »
Oh yes!  ;) 
I have just cooked lunch ~ extra spicy chicken, cooked whole with tons of coriander, garlic, ginger and fresh basil..the smell is wonderful!  You're all invited to my place to dine with me..   I got wine too!  So,.. Who's coming?  ;)

I can sooo live with that Louise!  :)

Can I come for leftovers???

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #3475 on: September 05, 2006, 01:31:24 am »
I am supposed to be in bed, but I just had to say what a beautiful journey it has been, from chap 1 of Taking Chances, to the most recent chap 19  In Memoriam... I wouldn't change any step along the way...  I think I'll be reliving this Jack and Ennis moment on the mountain for quite some time.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #3476 on: September 05, 2006, 01:51:39 am »
So you should be, Louise.  They show great empathy and understanding and how the world really works.  You really know what you are talking about.  Where you got your wisdom, I don't know, but thank you for sharing it with me (us). These last chapters have been mind boggling.  Ennis is working things out, naturally and realistically and so is Ellery  Thanks for your insight into the ways of the world.  Now take a big sigh and keep writing!

scudder, that is beautiful, and so true!
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #3477 on: September 05, 2006, 02:37:23 am »
Chapter 19: In Memoriam

Great work Louise.  Cheers.
I read it through twice, I loved Ennis up there with Jack... I love that he told him he loved him.
Beautiful.

Oh Lucise! I so love you for ALL your BEAUTIFUL SPECIAL fanart!!
This one is soo special.
Thank you!  :)

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #3478 on: September 05, 2006, 02:39:33 am »
I think I'll be reliving this Jack and Ennis moment on the mountain for quite some time.
Me too...

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #3479 on: September 05, 2006, 04:17:13 am »
lovely picture, Lucise.  Gives us all something to contemplate!

And thanks for all of the super wonderful comments... from everyone! I do feel like a rock star now!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”