Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3166018 times)

Offline pastorfred

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • retired, free-lance, non-denominational pastor
    • spirituality handbook
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #4220 on: September 21, 2006, 06:22:36 pm »
Chapter 57 Spoiler
I think it is time that Alma junior got out of Riverton.

I think so, too, David!
Peace be with y'all,
Fred

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #4221 on: September 21, 2006, 06:41:35 pm »
or get out a Dodge for that matter.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline magicmountain

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Fire from heaven
« Reply #4222 on: September 21, 2006, 06:53:12 pm »
Outside for real is better than the barn!!!  Manure builds up in barns, and there is always loose dirt, straw, hay and the occasional burr, etc etc, its a pain in the butt!

Ranchgal I love reading your insider's view of rural life in the US where this story is set. And it is fascinating regardless of the story!

PS Lucise do we have pictures of Junior's house and barn for the gallery?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2006, 07:15:55 pm by magicmountain »
Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great

Offline NavyVet

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Harm/Tony - My fav rare pair
« Reply #4223 on: September 21, 2006, 10:51:20 pm »
Oh, what fun!
I was trying to imagine what Junior's house might look like.  I envision it as a small bungalow/cottage type home.  We know there are 2 bedroom since E&E are staying in the guest room.  Here are a couple of ideas to start with:

NavyVet
"Brokeback Mountain:  Where slash is canon!"

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #4224 on: September 22, 2006, 04:21:15 am »
Last night in chat I was getting all excited about seeing who is reading the Laramie Saga with my new statistics counter.  The problem is, the stats counter I am using is a free one that I cannot get upgraded, because I don't have a company in Germany, and I don't have a tax number, so therefore I can only track up to 1,000 views a day.

1,000 views a day seemed like something my LJ page would never hit - right? wrong.  It went over 1,000 views last night at 11 o'clock and when it restarted at midnight, overnight over 560 views have already been logged, and I haven't had my morning coffee!  Okay, well I'm late getting up.  Of course, this is all good news, because it means that the Laramie Saga is quite popular and is being read worldwide.  In less than a 24 hour period, readers from 26 countries have logged on.  Leslie's theory about "marathon readers" is definitely true: there is no casual reading going on here.  With 233 unique visits since I went to bed last night, we are definitely "not alone"!

Readership

USA:   58%
Canada: 11%
Germany 10%
UK        6%
Hong Kong 2%
Denmark   2%
Other 10%

Combining this with the fact that half of the readers of Ennis and Ellery discussion group here at Bettermost are unregistered lurkers at any given time, it would seem the Laramie Saga is a guilty pleasure for many more people than I would have suspected.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline magicmountain

• Fire from heaven
« Reply #4225 on: September 22, 2006, 04:43:47 am »
Greetings to all lurkers!

Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great

yb

« Reply #4226 on: September 22, 2006, 04:50:07 am »

Readership

Germany 10%
UK        6%
Hong Kong 2%
Denmark   2%
Other 10%

I'm a computer illiterate, can you tell me how do you know from which countries the readers are?

Offline opinionista

« Reply #4227 on: September 22, 2006, 04:55:03 am »
Last night in chat I was getting all excited about seeing who is reading the Laramie Saga with my new statistics counter.  The problem is, the stats counter I am using is a free one that I cannot get upgraded, because I don't have a company in Germany, and I don't have a tax number, so therefore I can only track up to 1,000 views a day.

1,000 views a day seemed like something my LJ page would never hit - right? wrong.  It went over 1,000 views last night at 11 o'clock and when it restarted at midnight, overnight over 560 views have already been logged, and I haven't had my morning coffee!  Okay, well I'm late getting up.  Of course, this is all good news, because it means that the Laramie Saga is quite popular and is being read worldwide.  In less than a 24 hour period, readers from 26 countries have logged on.  Leslie's theory about "marathon readers" is definitely true: there is no casual reading going on here.  With 233 unique visits since I went to bed last night, we are definitely "not alone"!

Readership

Germany 10%
UK        6%
Hong Kong 2%
Denmark   2%
Other 10%

Combining this with the fact that half of the readers of Ennis and Ellery discussion group here at Bettermost are unregistered lurkers at any given time, it would seem the Laramie Saga is a guilty pleasure for many more people than I would have suspected.

It seems like I'm going to have to visit the LJ page more often Louise, so Madrid will have some decent representation on those statistics!  ;D ;)
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #4228 on: September 22, 2006, 04:57:32 am »
I'm a computer illiterate, can you tell me how do you know from which countries the readers are?

The software logs the IP addresses and host names and one of the statistics provided is country.  In the "Last 15 Visits" I can see individual Internet providers.  The one on the current page in Hong Kong, for example, is Pccw limited.

Offline opinionista

« Reply #4229 on: September 22, 2006, 05:31:00 am »
Oh, what fun!
I was trying to imagine what Junior's house might look like.  I envision it as a small bungalow/cottage type home.  We know there are 2 bedroom since E&E are staying in the guest room.  Here are a couple of ideas to start with:

This is very cool Navyvet!  :D I like the first option. Seems right.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.