Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3166656 times)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #4360 on: September 23, 2006, 05:20:00 pm »
And what a difference a day makes!

These are of course, all preliminary counts, since I didn't really get all of the stats counters into place until sometime late last evening, but today, Europe is making an incredibly strong showing:

US                    57%
Germany            14%
UK                     9%
Canada               8%
New Zealand       3%
Other                 8%

In that OTHER:

Netherlands, Hong Kong, Switzerland in a 3 way tie
and Denmark and Finland to fill out the Top Ten countries.

And total unique hosts reading the Laramie Saga as of 11:30 CET (since yesterday noon, 36 hour total) is 352.  When that number flattens out (if it does) that will give an indication of a stable number of users.  If it doesn't it means new people are showing up each day.  I won't know that for a couple of weeks.  But ... WOW.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2006, 05:24:30 pm by louisev »
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #4361 on: September 23, 2006, 06:06:21 pm »
Thanks for the chapter updates Louisev!

I'm Loving every one of them!

David   :)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #4362 on: September 23, 2006, 06:21:32 pm »
whoo hoo!  Thanks, David!

And for you late European lurkers, and you after dinner Americans, I am typity typing another chapter, "in Ennis's head." Just because I can.

Tomorrow may be a little lean chapter-wise since I will be entertaining in the afternoon and evening.  *yes, I have a life*

So you get your bonus chapters TODAY.  Tomorrow I have to finish cleaning and doing my wash too.  Eeeeek.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #4363 on: September 23, 2006, 07:07:58 pm »
Update to "The Long Way Home"

http://louisev.livejournal.com/119906.html  "Chapter 64:  In His Bed"

yb

« Reply #4364 on: September 23, 2006, 07:26:54 pm »
What a treat!  4 chapters in a day, great chapters, Louise.

Offline ranchgal

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4365 on: September 23, 2006, 08:08:20 pm »

Yeah I like the idea of a chain. I can completly see your point about a ring and remarks about a wife. Lots of men wear chains so no one would be suspicious if Ennis would be worried about that. So, gold or silver then?

Well there we have a problem, because the best color for Ennis is gold, and the best color for Ellery is silver---so in my mind, I can have them have something that matches or is significant to each one, each in his own color.   Unlike wedding rings that always seem to match----my hubby and I are that way-I am gold and he is sliver---so our wedding rings are wider gold middle bands with silver bands on the outside-that way both colors are in the rings.  Dumb now, but made sense to me at the time--plus I still like them, even though neither of us wear ours unless we are dressing up. LOL

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #4366 on: September 23, 2006, 08:50:05 pm »
Okay, now that I spoiled everyone TO DEATH with extra bonus chapters, tomorrow I have company, and I still have cleaning to do...

so  *ahem*

I might only get one (or maybe no) chapters written.  However you had FOUR today so there shouldn't be any complaints.  And many of you are busy at your Boston and NY bashes in any case!  So enjoy your Sunday if you don't see me!

Offline NavyVet

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Harm/Tony - My fav rare pair
« Reply #4367 on: September 23, 2006, 08:59:28 pm »
Well you do know that wherever and whenever you recommend the Laramie Saga, there will be dissent.  I went and peeked in and already it has started.  I posted a followup to your rec with thanks, and see what happens.  I am not going to enter into yet another debate, however.  Readers can take a rec or not, as they wish... I am still watching the statistics on unique users climb... and still not believing it.  Maybe the counter's broken!!!

Yep, I just found that!  Basically , my response to to them was to either read it or don't, but don't knock it unless you've actually read it.
I've noticed there are a couple of people over there that have trashed every BBM story I've ever recommended.  Guess I'm not part of 'the clique'.  Such negativity.  *snort*   :P  I don't spend much time there, as some of them seem to be only into each other's fics that are posted to the group.

Oooo, wheeee!  Just pulled up chapter 64!  I'm off to read now ...
NavyVet
"Brokeback Mountain:  Where slash is canon!"

Offline NavyVet

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Harm/Tony - My fav rare pair
« Reply #4368 on: September 23, 2006, 10:49:01 pm »
A-h-h-h-h ...
Sweet, introspective, beautiful chapter.

Just ... perfect.

It's almost 11 pm in the eastern U.S. and I can now go to bed content. 

Good night, all.

*happy sigh*
NavyVet
"Brokeback Mountain:  Where slash is canon!"

Monica

« Reply #4369 on: September 24, 2006, 01:34:16 am »
Spoilers chapter 63 and 64

Ok, I loved the flashback to Ennis and Ellery's first meeting in chapter 64.  I have to admit I fell in love with Ellery from the start.  Their sudden attraction was so touching!

//He tried to think back, to the moment Ellery stood like a dark-clad vision at the top of the stairs in the upstairs apartment at the Red Stallion, even then, a smirk tugging at the edges of his mouth, as if there were some latent humor to be found in every situation. Ennis felt affronted by the casual command Ellery took of the situation – of him – that Friday morning. When had he fallen in love, then? Over dinner in the Rose Hotel? That drunken night when he had gone with Ellery to his house, and wept over the journal? It was all so sudden – so abrupt, so unexpected.//

And I loved Junior and Francine's girl talk in chapter 63.  It is so funny, they remind me of myself when I was that age.  I had a gay relative and I admit I was curious just like they are about Ellery, just not in a sexual way.    Too funny!!!

Tara