Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3167019 times)

Offline christie wood

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #4740 on: September 30, 2006, 04:17:46 pm »
yup, yup. I promise.

Also, let me just clarify, since it sounds like I was a little misleading in my Afterword there, Book VI will be a Laramie Saga book just like the other ones.  However, it is not on the same "story arc", so to speak, as the previous five books.  It is still about Ennis and Ellery, but it is also about Lauren and Simon, Wayne and Pete, Sally and Ben, and maybe a little Junior goodness thrown in as well, and of course, our one and only beloved DUPREE and his new love interest, as well as the featured drunks from the big drunken crash in "Long Way Home."  As well as guest appearances from the Sheriff's Department and a lot more doughboys!

Do you mean that some chapters will be just about say, Lauren and Simon and Sally and Ben, and not about Ennis and Ellery at all?  I love all the supporting characters of your story Louise, but its Ennis and Ellery I love above all else.  I hope I dont sound like I'm not looking forward to "The Red Stallion" - I am most definitely - I just want lots of Ennis and Ellery loving.   :)

Offline christie wood

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #4741 on: September 30, 2006, 04:22:36 pm »
I just wanted to say I am sad to see book 5 end  :(
but I am happy there will be a book 6-The Red Stallion   ;D

Looking forward to Book 6, sounds interesting.  I like the characters there, Lauren, Pete (with no spleen), Wayne, and Dupree (maybe now we will Dupree settle down with someone, hum).    And I wonder if Ennis’s girls will find there way down to Laramie after all.  And of course hoping for more Ennis and Ellery!

Thank you Louise, it has been so much fun to read!

Tara

I totally agree Monica, it has been a complete pleasure to read.  I almost feel jealous of those people who havent read it yet!  What a joy they have in store!

SPOILERS

I really felt emotional reading it, honestly, I just felt all mushy and so happy for Ennis and Ellery.  For Ellery, having the heart to tell Ennis about his feelings about Jack and Brokeback and how he knows that they mean so much to Ennis.  It made me feel a little sad too.  For Ennis, having the courage to tell Ellery that he is a loyal man and he loves Ellery and that he's happy to accept a token of his love. 

It was a beautiful way to end the book.   Thank you Louise - I feel so privileged to have discovered this story and your writing.  Its been a complete joy.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #4742 on: September 30, 2006, 04:41:40 pm »
Do you mean that some chapters will be just about say, Lauren and Simon and Sally and Ben, and not about Ennis and Ellery at all?  I love all the supporting characters of your story Louise, but its Ennis and Ellery I love above all else.  I hope I dont sound like I'm not looking forward to "The Red Stallion" - I am most definitely - I just want lots of Ennis and Ellery loving.   :)

I am not sure I am going to get into lengthy changes in point of view, no.  Ennis and Ellery will still be the main focus.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #4743 on: September 30, 2006, 04:43:01 pm »
>>Curt goes on a shooting spree at a Riverton florists convention shouting out ramblings about gay cowboys.   No one is injured as he is a bad shot.   He is severly beaten with carnations and pushed out into the street covered in flowers.  Towns people now shun him.<<

Hmmm  Curt laying on the street covered in flowers after screaming about gay cowboys...  Hmmm  "The lady protests too much!"

......Curt is then arrested by local Police for disturbing the peace and littering.   While in Jail he becomes the prison bride of a large man named Gabe.  Gabe calls him "Daisey-Mae".

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #4744 on: September 30, 2006, 05:06:39 pm »
A new reader of the Laramie Saga, Brach Anders, gave me permission to copy his comments on Brokeback Mountain, Story (both versions) and Film, with regard to a discrepancy in the story that was found in the film.  He points out an important discrepancy in "The Long Way Home", where Jack's birth should be 1943.  But he also shows that my "revised" timeline, which disagrees with Annie Proulx's short story, is actually in line with the "corrected" timeline, in which the last meeting between Ennis and Jack had to have occurred in 1982.  VERY INTERESTING STUFF!!

(1) In your "Taking Chances" Ennis marked Jack's dates 1944-1982, which would make Jack 38 at the time of his death. However, Lureen told Ennis "he was only thirty-nine years old."

We can derive the correct years of Jack's birth and death from the BBM written story.

We are told that Alma Jr. was born September 1964. Jack's boy must have been born October 1966 because on June 24, 1967 Jack said his boy was 8 mos. old.

We are told that Jack and Ennis's last trip occured in May and that Alma Jr. was 17, Jack's boy 15. For those ages to be consistent with the birthdates, the last trip must have occured May 1982.  (The story incorrectly gives May 1983 as the date of the last trip. We might also want to change "Count the damn few times we been together in twenty years" to "Count the damn few times we been together in nearly twenty years."  The BBM script writers caught the inconsistency.)

Jack must have died sometime between May 1982, the date of the last trip, and November 1982, the date proposed for the next trip. When Jack and Ennis met in June 1963, "neither of them was twenty", which I take to mean Jack was 19 in June 1963, which would have made Jack 38 in June 1982. So Jack must have turned 39 sometime between June 1982 and November 1982.

Therefore, Jack must have be born sometime between June 1943 and November 1943 and died at age 39 sometime between June 1982 and November 1982.

(2) According to the omniscient narrator, Jack's death was accidental: "Ennis didn't know about the accident for months until his postcard to Jack saying that November still looked like the first chance came back stamped DECEASED." Ennis "didn't know which way it was, the tire iron or a real accident." But WE know it was a real accident.

(3) Annie Proulx's Close Range collection of short stories includes "Pair of Spurs", a story about a rancher, Car Scrope, who owns the Coffeepot ranch southeast of Signal.

The original version of "Brokeback Mountain", published in The New Yorker, has Ennis working in Signal for Car Scrope's cow-and-calf outfit known as the Coffeepot. But the version of "Brokeback Mountain" that was later published in the Close Range collection has Ennis working in Signal for Stoutamire's cow-and-calf outfit.

“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #4745 on: September 30, 2006, 05:18:25 pm »
I started this thread on June 24. It seems like a lifetime ago! LOL. Now, 3 months, 475 pages, 4750 posts, and 5 finished books later (I started this thread when the third book was in its early chapters), here we are...Ennis and Ellery are truly committed to each other, we've been through murder, kidnapping, injury, the vacation from hell (which had a happy ending), lots of angst, plus day to day life, love, work, and friends. We have had a culinary exploration that has ranged from beans and franks cooked in the radarrange (yes, I stumbled across that in a very early chapter just yesterday) to ....sardine sandwiches. 'Nuff said about that!

Out in the real world there have been new readers coming on board daily and joining us here at Bettermost to discuss the story. Just as Brokeback created communities that no one expected, so has this story. I had the privilege to meet Louise in London in August and believe I have made a very special friend.

I am looking forward to the sixth book but feeling a little nostalgic with the ending of the fifth. I actually feel like it is a perfect ending...I can picture them there, in honeymoon cottage, the autumn sun coming through the window (which it is doing here in Maine).

I thought of sending our author some flowers as a thank you, but decided that maybe this was more appropriate....

Thanks, Louise.

Leslie
« Last Edit: October 01, 2006, 08:21:22 am by MaineWriter »
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #4746 on: September 30, 2006, 05:22:57 pm »

We are told that Alma Jr. was born September 1964. Jack's boy must have been born October 1966 because on June 24, 1967 Jack said his boy was 8 mos. old.

How very interesting that I started this thread on June 24...and that was not intentional!

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Bigheart

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #4747 on: September 30, 2006, 05:28:50 pm »
Aww, Leslie, that's so beautiful and such lovely words  :)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #4748 on: September 30, 2006, 05:39:05 pm »
*blush* *awwwww*  *shucks**

*Just don't make me give a speech okay?*

And for you statistics hounds:  after a slow morning, the chapter 83, "More" with its infamous masturbation scene, hit a record-breaking 137 page views today so far!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #4749 on: September 30, 2006, 06:35:17 pm »
Neatfreak...

Maybe we are ready for an update of the "who is here" list? I think we have a few new readers who have joined us...

L