Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3165391 times)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #4940 on: October 04, 2006, 04:47:26 am »
Emphasis on "personal."

While it is all well and good to think of how sweet it would be to have Ennis and Ellery exchanging tokens of love and a slow dance on the Red Stallion dance floor to the gushing smiles of Pookie and friends...

neither Ennis nor Ellery are men who approve of or indulge in public displays of affection, and Ennis is still taking his first toddling steps out of the closet.  Part of the dramatic impact of Brokeback Mountain is the extreme privateness and hiddenness, particularly of Ennis's homosexuality, and that will not change overnight.

Sorry, guys!  it just is not in character for there to be some big ceremony in public.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

yb

« Reply #4941 on: October 04, 2006, 05:01:53 am »
OK, overlooking again.  I know, that's one of my concern about Ennis, too.  But is it possible that they'd do it in front of just Wes & Edna?  I don't care about the others, but they love Ellery so much and they have accepted Ennis as their 2nd son, I really hope Ennis can come around and accept this idea.  Of course, I'm not pushing at all, Louise.  Whatever you decide is fine with me.

Offline katecaton

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #4942 on: October 04, 2006, 05:04:08 am »
Kate:

The first mention of Ellery's theory is in "Taking Chances"

Chapter 74:  Already Missing You

Ennis gives himself a talking to in the mirror in:

Chapter 75:   Home to Roost

I just read them Louise ( supposed to be working but what the hey!). I always felt Ellery had great emotional intelligence, so of course it would have to be him who noticed that their feelings were deepening. " It means we're falling in love" ::)
I love the way Ennis can't then get that thought out of his mind. It always takes him so long to analyse how he feels, bless him :-*
Great writing as always, Louise and thanks for pointing me to the right bits.
Well I guess I'd better get on with some work. Will keep looking for updates as always ;D

Offline christie wood

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #4943 on: October 04, 2006, 05:09:15 am »
Emphasis on "personal."

While it is all well and good to think of how sweet it would be to have Ennis and Ellery exchanging tokens of love and a slow dance on the Red Stallion dance floor to the gushing smiles of Pookie and friends...

neither Ennis nor Ellery are men who approve of or indulge in public displays of affection, and Ennis is still taking his first toddling steps out of the closet.  Part of the dramatic impact of Brokeback Mountain is the extreme privateness and hiddenness, particularly of Ennis's homosexuality, and that will not change overnight.

Sorry, guys!  it just is not in character for there to be some big ceremony in public.

Morning everyone.  I agree with you Louise, I had never imagined Ennis and Ellery having any kind of ceremony in front of anyone, certainly not in The Red Stallion, and not even in front of Wes and Edna.  They are not into that, and certainly not Ennis.  I think a private and personal ceremony between themselves, will be just as important, just as meaningful, just as beautiful and emotional as anything that would take place in front of other people.

I will get my tissues at the ready when that chapter comes around.  :'(

Offline Kazza

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4944 on: October 04, 2006, 05:44:26 am »

I agree - don't see the boys having some sort of ceremony with witnesses - just something really private and tender between them. Even the token that Ellery wants to get has to be something reletively discreet or Ennis will baulk at it.

What I'm wondering is whether Ennis will freak after Ellery has seen his lawyer to make the 'arrangements' that he was discussing with Wes.

Kind of OT (hope I'll be forgiven) - but are any of you UK/Europe based LS fans thinking of going to the London BBM screening that Christie is involved in organising?

Karen

Offline katecaton

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #4945 on: October 04, 2006, 05:57:41 am »
I agree - don't see the boys having some sort of ceremony with witnesses - just something really private and tender between them. Even the token that Ellery wants to get has to be something reletively discreet or Ennis will baulk at it.

What I'm wondering is whether Ennis will freak after Ellery has seen his lawyer to make the 'arrangements' that he was discussing with Wes.

Kind of OT (hope I'll be forgiven) - but are any of you UK/Europe based LS fans thinking of going to the London BBM screening that Christie is involved in organising?

Karen

I didn't know there was one! I would love to go. I was just thinking this morning how I'd love to see it on the big screen again. Is it in London?

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #4946 on: October 04, 2006, 06:00:06 am »
 ???

I can't plan anything because I don't know if I am coming or going... and I don't mean that in the good way!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Kazza

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4947 on: October 04, 2006, 06:15:10 am »
I didn't know there was one! I would love to go. I was just thinking this morning how I'd love to see it on the big screen again. Is it in London?

Yes, see here http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?topic=4594.0

If you're up for it let Christie know as soon as you can.

I'm very excited as I only discovered BBM on DVD and so have never seen it on the big screen. Not sure about 30 of us blundering around Leicester Square with red puffy eyes weeping uncontrollably mind you.

Karen

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #4948 on: October 04, 2006, 06:16:11 am »
I have decided to stop speculating about Dupree's sexual orientation, I'll just sit back and enjoy the story.  What I really like to see is some sort of ceremony to confirm the 'marriage' of Ennis and Ellery in front of their closest friends (Wes and Edna being the parent figures).

I guess we have to wait for the story to unfold. But anyhow, what's important is the commitment they make to themselves, private or public.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 06:17:43 am by opinionista »
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline Kazza

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4949 on: October 04, 2006, 06:17:12 am »
???

I can't plan anything because I don't know if I am coming or going... and I don't mean that in the good way!

Louise - no news on your contract yet? Come to London -  the British helpdesk industry needs you  ;D

Karen