Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3167244 times)

Offline caramelle58

• Jr. Ranch Hand
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #4970 on: October 04, 2006, 10:58:32 am »
Hi girls,

about this guy, Jeeves, I bet you any kind of money, he is either a fraud or a professional gambler. Either he plans to rip of the patrons off the Red Stallion playing (and cheating at) cards or he will very soon start to peddle some dodgy investment funds.

I mean, no real englishman would walk into an American bar wearing a bowler hat and a walking stick; does the queen wear a tiara when she is walking her welsh corgies? No, she wears a head scarf and wellies. A bowler hat may be ok when working somewhere in Embankment, but in a mens club it is out of place.
This guy is probabely as british as George W. Bush or Kentucky Fried Chicken. I even doubt he is gay, just makes believe to gain the trust of the men at the Stallion.

Now Dupree is a detective and he most likely smelled a rat; so he plays cards with Jeeves, talks to him when on duty and just bides his time, till he can figure out what the evil plans of the false brit are.

There is now way Dupree is attracted to Jeeves - in my opinion he might experiment a bit with Lance, but this is as far as it goes. We shall see what happens in the future, but to me, his out of place attire and attitude (no upper or upper middle class englishman would boast about the money he ownes ) makes him a prime suspect for fraud !!

"waitingimpatientlyasever"

Caramelle

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #4971 on: October 04, 2006, 10:59:44 am »

(Click to enlarge)

And this is a bar in Laramie, WY. Sort of fits the description of the Red Stallion, doesn't it?
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline MadLori

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Remember - Jack Nasty loves you.
« Reply #4972 on: October 04, 2006, 11:03:29 am »
Mmmmm.... tender Ennis.

Sounds yummy  Grin

What sides would you have with that?

A side of Ellerycakes, of course.  With K-Y on top.
Jack:  I could kick your ass any day of the week.
Ennis:  Then the weeks where you live must have a No Fuckin' Way Day.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #4973 on: October 04, 2006, 11:21:12 am »
Ellerycakes reminded me that I wanted to post this...

SALLY'S DEVILISHLY GOOD DEVILED EGGS

6 hard-cooked eggs, peeled and cut lengthwise
¼ cup mayonnaise (Sally recommends Hellman's!)
½ teaspoon dry ground mustard
½ teaspoon white vinegar
1/8 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
Paprika for garnish

Pop out (remove) the egg yolks to a small bowl and mash with a fork. Add mayonnaise, mustard powder, vinegar, salt and pepper and mix thoroughly. Fill the empty egg white shells with the mixture and sprinkle lightly with paprika.

Cover lightly with plastic wrap and refridgerate for up to one day before serving.
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #4974 on: October 04, 2006, 11:30:40 am »
Maybe they could try some pickled eggs, served in a nice crunchy packet of bacon wheat crunchies...yum.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #4975 on: October 04, 2006, 11:32:14 am »
Maybe they could try some pickled eggs, served in a nice crunchy packet of bacon wheat crunchies...yum.

Pickled eggs...how many bars have I been in with a big jar of these on the counter. I have never eaten one and don't intend to, ever! LOL

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #4976 on: October 04, 2006, 12:07:52 pm »
Hi girls,

about this guy, Jeeves, I bet you any kind of money, he is either a fraud or a professional gambler. Either he plans to rip of the patrons off the Red Stallion playing (and cheating at) cards or he will very soon start to peddle some dodgy investment funds.

well, Caramelle, you certainly have put a lot of thought into old Jeevesy.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline NavyVet

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Harm/Tony - My fav rare pair
« Reply #4977 on: October 04, 2006, 01:03:26 pm »
Oh, my!  We're up to 500 pages here!   :o

I had a feel good morning.   :D   Posted a new segment of my fanfic last night and got 3 whole feedback comments already. (*happy dance*)
---------------------------------------------------

Warning:
Spoilery content about LS Chapter 8: Road Hazard  below

Grrrr!  I hate that witch Bunny - She's evil ... EVIL, I say.
Poor Ennis!  The fact that her creepy behavior makes him SO uncomfortable makes it sexual harrassment.
I just can't find anything cute or funny about that or her character.  JMHO.
Of course, this was the early '80's, and I remember it well (I was active duty at the time) - that was prior to when all the sexual harrassment issues, sensitivity training and zero tolerance in the work place came about.  Though it was usually men who instigated such intolerable situations against women, women can be just as capable of that type of smarmy behavior.  Goes both ways.
As an  MST Survivor, this chapter's theme affected me hard, but that's just me.  Harrassment and bullying are big pet peeve issues for me.  I very much feel for and relate to Ennis's discomfiture right now and find myself hoping he gets help with dealing with Bunny.  That woman needs to be knocked down a peg or two!

Thanx for letting me vent,
*getting off soapbox now*

NavyVet
"Brokeback Mountain:  Where slash is canon!"

Offline opinionista

« Reply #4978 on: October 04, 2006, 01:16:51 pm »
WHOO HEE 500 PAGES!!
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #4979 on: October 04, 2006, 01:20:14 pm »
well NV, I didn't mean to trigger off something in you... however, there are a couple of points that perhaps should be spelled out to put Bunny in context:

First off, the only reason why Ennis isn't blowing her off and kicking her on her wrinkled keester is because she is an old woman, and the wife of the D.A.  And her interest in Ennis is more on the order of a bizarre little quirk of a woman who doesn't know she is being much too obvious about drooling over well built men who are out of reach.  She can't really do him any harm, and she doesn't really have any power over him, nor is she attempting to exercise it.  She is just being a creepy, lusty old woman.

Secondly, if she did actually make a real pass, Ellery would rat her out to her husband the D.A., which might lead to their inevitable divorce.  The discretion of the people around him have kept Mel in a state of artificial awareness for some time now.  So it is less a matter of Ennis "enduring harrassment" than he and Ellery managing a situation with a mildly nutty woman who would suffer a lot more from being revealed for her little quirks than Ennis would suffer having her slaver over him.  She is doing more of a making herself available type of thing, throwing herself at men who are bound to turn her down, (like homosexuals) and nothing has ever really come of it.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”