Author Topic: Was: Laramie Tales: New Working Title: Tales of Greenlea County (ARCHIVE)  (Read 548721 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: Was: Laramie Tales: New Working Title: Tales of Greenlea County
« Reply #2240 on: September 10, 2007, 06:40:42 am »
if you are in HTML mode, you can also use < i> to start the italics and < /i> to end (without the spaces)

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline magicmountain

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Fire from heaven
« Reply #2241 on: September 10, 2007, 06:45:24 am »
Louise I meant italicising type in LiveJournal when one comments directly beneath your chapter. I didn't mean italicising type in reply mode here on Bettermost as I do know how to do that.
Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great

Offline magicmountain

• Fire from heaven
« Reply #2242 on: September 10, 2007, 06:49:37 am »
if you are in HTML mode, you can also use < i> to start the italics and < /i> to end (without the spaces)

I tried that. It works. Thanks one and all. How I manage in this computer age I do not know. :-\
Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great

Offline CarolK1943

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #2243 on: September 10, 2007, 11:00:03 am »
I finally got to "Dem Bones".  I am so far behind in my reading that I haven't been able to start "Chesterfield Fortune", but I'm determined to keep up to date on this one.  It helps that I already "know" the background of story.

It's good to be back in the forum.  I've missed that delish pic of "Ellery".

Carol

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #2244 on: September 10, 2007, 11:05:52 am »
welcome back, Carol!

And here I thought everyone is all caught up and champing at the bit like Marie here!  I haven't been writing at anywhere near the pace that I was last fall so you shouldn't have any trouble keeping up and getting "Chesterfield" read as well!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

yb

« Reply #2245 on: September 10, 2007, 11:10:45 am »
I love this chapter!  It always feels good to read about the conversation between Ellery & Colson.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2246 on: September 10, 2007, 12:58:18 pm »
........ How I manage in this computer age I do not know. :-\

LOL!  I often ask myself that same question, Jo. 

And here I thought everyone is all caught up and champing at the bit like Marie here! 

Champing at the bit?  Moi??  ;D
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline frantic65

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • "Tell me what you want, boy."
« Reply #2247 on: September 10, 2007, 07:20:28 pm »
I'm still several books behind the Dem Bones timeframe, but of course, I read all the new stuff as it's posted anyway and I have to wonder at the fact that we see Ellery ask Colson twice in Chapter 5 for reassurance about his commitment to each him (No regrets & No regrets at all?) I don't know if a future installment I haven't gotten to addresses & maybe resolves this, but am I reading too much into Ellery's apparent doubts that Colson is with him to stay? It just seems a little uncharacteristically needy of him that it keeps coming up. Is that deliberate Louise, or am I just seeing things? I know Colson always responds positively & I don't doubt him at all, but Ellery seems to have a real problem accepting it.

It feels like it's more than just the normal "Do you love me?" that all lovers ask each other. It also struck me because in the early books there was that whole thing where Colson felt Ellery was trying to use sex to keep him from leaving (even though Colson was content with their relationship & was more concerned that Ellery was healthy rather than "getting fancy" three times a day.)

Is it because Ellery's experiences with both Beagle & Bill were so damaging to his self-esteem? He was also self-harming at the end of both relationships too. See, give me too much to read & I get paranoid I guess!!

I'll be bummed if the answer is that this was all resolved in like book 6 or something.

Sorry to bring up old stuff that may have been discussed to death already-just let me know if I should be taking it to the Taking Chances thread & I'll scamper off.  :)
You're the love of my life
And the breath in my prayers
Take my hand, lead me there

I can't forget the taste of your mouth
From your lips the heavens pour out
I can't forget when we are one
With you alone I am free

~~Santana~~Love of My Life

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #2248 on: September 11, 2007, 06:10:51 am »
I know you probably have not gotten to this story as yet, Fran, but the first appearance of the rings was at the end of "The Red Stallion."  At that point, Ellery has what I might call "a big emotion".  His reaction to Colson even agreeing to a commitment ceremony in that story was great surprise, and for him, the symbols of commitment are very powerful.  This story takes place a week after the end of "The Red Stallion" when Colson is laid up in bed in serious condition, so Ellery is pretty much in the same fragile state of mind since he first bought the rings.  So he is very insecure right now and his asking twice is a reminder that Ellery still hasn't "gotten over" the fact that Colson agreed to an actual marriage event.

So no, it wasn't "all resolved in book 6" but Ellery has been showing his vulnerable side and his insecurity in flashes, and the culminating event of the ring ceremony shows just how much it means to him that Colson is willing to go through with it - and Ellery now, right afterward (only a few days) is still in that state of mind.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline frantic65

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • "Tell me what you want, boy."
« Reply #2249 on: September 11, 2007, 10:04:00 am »
Thanks for explaining that for me. No, I haven't gotten to book 6 yet, but I can see why Ellery's insecurities would start to run wild. No one could blame Colson if he left town with all the attacks, kidnapping, etc. & feeling like everyone knows about his being queer. If I were Ellery I'd be waiting for him to say, "Enough's enough" & hightail it out of there. The fact that Colson doesn't even seem to consider leaving Ellery is a powerful commitment statement in itself at this point, but that's easy to see as the reader, not so easy if you're Ellery, I guess.
You're the love of my life
And the breath in my prayers
Take my hand, lead me there

I can't forget the taste of your mouth
From your lips the heavens pour out
I can't forget when we are one
With you alone I am free

~~Santana~~Love of My Life