Author Topic: PERFECT, but...  (Read 32447 times)

Offline chefjudy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "a pair a deuces"
Re: PERFECT, but...
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2006, 02:27:44 pm »
 :) RT - now you've done it!!  You simply must post that extended scene - there will be no living with us until you find it and let us see for ourselves - like elephants - we don't forget!............................... :laugh:
Judy

"it could be like this, just like this, always......" Jack Twist

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2006, 02:31:18 pm »
Also, something that would only interest or be noticed by a train buff like me: That train that goes by while Ennis is waiting outside Joe Aguirre's office isn't "period" for 1963. The train has no caboose on the end. In 1963 a freight train in the U.S. would still have had a caboose. And the freight cars that we can see as the train rolls off into the distance and Jack drives up aren't "period" either.

Hmmm, interesting observation Jeff.  I'm a train buff too, and you're probably right about that, unless it was a short line train or something.  I remember on TOB there was a discussion that at least they got the sound of the horn right for the railroad line and trains in Wyoming in 1963. 

Hey, Eric,

I missed that mention of the sound of the horn being "right." Thank goodness it wasn't a steam whistle!

Now that you mention it, I suppose you could make a case that there might not have been a caboose if it was a short-line short-haul, but I think it still would have looked more "period" with a caboose.

My interest is mainly steam era, so I could be talking through my Resistol, but the covered hopper on the end of the train--you can see it moving off into the distance as Jack approaches in his truck--looks too "modern" to me.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2006, 02:33:07 pm »
Yeah rt, Heath is good there, it's just the girls that bother me.

In the scene where Jack shoots at the coyote and misses, it looks to me like Jake isn't even trying to aim that rifle. Yes, Jack is supposed to be a lousy shot, but, like I said, it looks to me like he isn't even trying.

Agreed. I noticed that too.

Thank you, Courtney, little darlin'! I really got crucified for that aiming comment on another thread!
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2006, 02:38:24 pm »
I was mementarily distracted by the thought of that extended crying scene...

All the kids, except Baby Jenny, were pretty horrid-could have done better with them.
And more lovin'! I would have liked to see more of the meetings in the later years.
And, so shoot me-I don't care-Jack alive. There! I said it! (head wagging) O0

Heathen

Offline DeeDee

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2006, 02:44:44 pm »
Just like this pic...Oh how I wish we could have seen this scene.
In America sex is an obsession.  In other parts of the world it is a fact.

Marlene Dietrich

Offline houstonangel88

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2006, 02:46:20 pm »
rt, I want that extended scene too..... :-*

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2006, 02:47:15 pm »
I missed that mention of the sound of the horn being "right." Thank goodness it wasn't a steam whistle!

My interest is mainly steam era, so I could be talking through my Resistol, but the covered hopper on the end of the train--you can see it moving off into the distance as Jack approaches in his truck--looks too "modern" to me.

LOL about the steam whistle.  As far as the hopper.  Well, filming a movie on a limited budget in 2005 and getting train equipment from 1963 for one scene might be a little tough.  We can't have everything I guess.  Only us train guys would really take note of something like that anyways.

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2006, 02:57:51 pm »
Just like this pic...Oh how I wish we could have seen this scene.

What a great pic! I hadn't seen that before! Ennis sure has his eyes on something special...  ::)
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2006, 03:08:39 pm »
What I would have changed is not having the babies (Alma and Jenny) crying so much at the beginning. Everytime they're on screen, they're crying. Even on July 4th. They could've shut up then!

Like someone said on a long ago thread on TOB or the old CT--what did they do, pinch those babies everytime they said "Action!"

L
xo
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2006, 03:36:34 pm »
I;'ve mentioned two of these before, and everyone says they're FINE..so here I go again:

"My dad says rodeo cowboys are all fuckups"--we proounce the word fuck ups, (two words, like) not one word with the asccent on the first syllable and the second barely audible.

"You're better OFF sleeping in the tent." ..as if there had been a prolongued discussion about where you were better OFF sleeping...no accent on OFF.

Heartily agree that a tiny flashback to the nosebleed fight would be very helpful to first-time viewers when Ennis finds the shirts, for the reason already mentioned: it's only been about 60 seconds since we heard about Jack's death, and people associeate the bloood with that at first viewing.

I..hate to get uibnto holy territory, but the new video "Remouncement"--shows Alma looking out the door during the reunion kiss, but it
is NOT the reunion kiss, it's the post-kiss activities, with Jack hungrily wanting more and Ennis nuzzling him..and it's SO MUCH BETTER than the movie, which shows two guys holding eachothers' heads and barely making mouth contact at all.

Would it be TOO much of a compromise to Ennis's homophobia if he said ONE LITTLE word of endearment, or appreciation for the sex? I know his face speaks a lot, but Proulx has provided us with so many: " little darlin'"--he could say it any way Ledger knows how, and I'm SURE he knows how--to get Jack, his kids and his animals, all in the same two words. Or "I goddam well hate it that you're going to drive away in the morning and I'm goin back to work," or "..but Jesus H, ain't nothin like this," or " took me about a year a figure out it was that I shouldn't  a let you out a my sights." or... just a crumb..well, we've always got the flashback scene...
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters