Author Topic: Are you newly arrived from IMDb? Nice to know you, Friend...  (Read 74459 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Are you newly arrived from IMDb? Nice to know you, Friend...
« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2007, 06:02:27 pm »
David, you probably explained it more articulately than I can, but in case others might find the quoting function useful, I'll give it a shot here. If yours is better you can post yours and I'll delete mine.

To start a post quoting another post, click on the blue "Quote" button in the upper right corner of their post. That will open a new post window, automatically quoting their post. You can delete the parts you don't want to quote, then write your own stuff below it.

If you want to quote someone AFTER you've already started writing your post, put your cursor where you want it to go in your post, then scroll down the page, find their post, and click on "Insert Quote" in the upper right corner. The quote will appear in your text box where you left the cursor.

Or you can cut and paste a passage, then highlight it and click the button above the text window that looks like a cartoon speech balloon, and it will automatically be in quote format.

When you're done, you'll have something that looks like this (asterisk added so it won't actually do it).

[qu*te] Blah blah blah ... [/qu*te]

(As at imdb, the coding format is usually [something] beginning, [/something] at the end, but sometimes the "somethings" are different here.)

Beware, as Malina discovered, if you have a stray [/qu*te] lying around or accidentally delete one, it's easy to have the whole message end up in the yellow square with the teeny tiny printing. So when quoting, it's best to preview it before posting (though I myself have forgotten to do this waaaayyy too many times).

Does that make sense?

CrowJumpin was a chance to play with an ascii art program I was trying out and to do something more interesting than just post "bump". 

Bruce, so there's a program that automatically does those? And here I pictured CrowJumpin meticulously typing and spacing characters one by one to create those elaborate pictures!  :laugh:

Offline Luvlylittlewing

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2007, 12:23:46 am »
Hi, my name is Merr and I am a new arrival from IMDb.  I am from San Diego, CA and one of the older posters.  We have been having troll attacks over at IMDb so, I decided to come here and find out about BetterMost.org.  I have loved my time at IMDb, but the administrators over there is not interested in ethics or consideration.   ::)

Looking forward to meeting a lot of new people.

Merr ;D

Hi, merr!  Welcome in!  It is good to see you here!  Merr, I did see your e-mails.  I thought I answered the last one.  I may have made a mistake in sending it out.  Anyway, forgive my tardiness in getting back to you.  I'll get to you very soon.  I have some pics I want to send you as soon as I've loaded them on the computer.  :)  Again, welcome.  We'll have a ball here!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2007, 12:24:51 am »
Welcome merr7242!!!

So happy to have you here!  Many of us here at BetterMost started our own journeys as Brokies on the IMDb boards and we completely empathize with the struggles you're all experiencing at the moment with trolls.  It can be so upsetting and disheartening to see a beloved forum become over-run by trolls and negativity.  I moved over to BetterMost from IMDb myself back in April of 2006 during one of the first big troll wars to hit the Brokeback page at IMDb.  I remember the bad times back then directly corresponded with the release of BBM on DVD.  It was so upsetting.  But, I was so excited to discover BetterMost and the fantastic community here that I've really very rarely looked back once I made the move here.  I still have an account over at IMDb (with this same username).  But, rarely venture back... and many of the wonderful old threads that I was active on have long been deleted by trolls, etc. 

This is truly a very safe place and beautifully run and maintained by our great admins Phillip and Ellemeno.  :)  Anyway, have fun exploring all the forums around here.

cheers
Amanda
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2007, 12:33:46 am »
I am so happy to see all the familiar names from Imdb making it over here!!   

:D   Welcome   :D

injest

« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2007, 12:41:01 am »
Howdy, Merr!!

welcome to Bettermost!

kick your shoes off...make yourself comfy!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #55 on: June 06, 2007, 01:10:35 am »
Hi littlewing.  Good to see you honey.  I just registered last night and I am still very confused.  Look forward to seeing some new fanfic from you!

Merr :)

It can be a little confusing around here at first, but you will soon find the forum very easy to use and get around in.

Your posts look fine to me Merrily, so you're getting the hang of it already!  :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Toycoon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
David-Indiana, is that a picture of you under your signature?
« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2007, 01:38:08 am »
You sure are cute! Were you a the Colorado, Memorial Day B-B-Q?
I don't remember meeting you, was I that drunk?
"The most important thing is being sincere, even if you have to fake it." - Cesar Romero

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2007, 05:29:43 am »
welcome all of you from imDB -- I hope that you find it just as comfy as I have all of this time.

“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

retropian

« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2007, 09:19:44 am »
Hi all. I'm here too.
I've been a member for a while, but post very very little. A lurker mostly. It's great to see other IMDB'ers here. I just can't shake BBM, or the community that has grown from it. This must really be a unique phenomenon, to have this site and DaveCulen grow from a movie. I don't think there is anything like it. I hope it keeps growing.
Ian ;D

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2007, 09:29:36 am »
Hi all. I'm here too.
I've been a member for a while, but post very very little. A lurker mostly. It's great to see other IMDB'ers here. I just can't shake BBM, or the community that has grown from it. This must really be a unique phenomenon, to have this site and DaveCulen grow from a movie. I don't think there is anything like it. I hope it keeps growing.
Ian ;D

Hey!  Nice to see you here Ian! 

TOoP / Bruce
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40