Author Topic: "Jack, I swear..." on the DVD  (Read 9013 times)

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
Re: "Jack, I swear..." on the DVD
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2006, 03:39:19 pm »
I just finished it and it "feels" the same to me.

O0

Heathen

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2006, 05:08:49 pm »
I swear, it's different on the DVD.  Really noticed it Saturday night at the Red Vic....

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2006, 06:48:36 pm »
having had a client who is a sound mixing studio, i know they don't take the sound used in film directly to dvd. they will remix the sound because theater sound systems are different from home systems, obviously. While they don't necessarily take different tracks from the film, sound volume of certain scenes may turn out different, because of the remixing. This may be the case. I don't know if it's obvious to everyone or not, but films get remixed for the various places they get played in, ie. dvd, tapes, cable, air planes and theaters. The film get remixed for each of those outlets. Sometimes, they're not even done by the same studios. For example, my client did the air plane version of Charlie's Angels, but didn't get to do the dvd version.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2006, 12:17:58 am »
Lately I can't help hearing the last line as "Jack, I'll swear..." which I know is wrong (I've seen the movie 5 million times by now).  I don't know what's wrong with me.   ::) :-\
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2006, 05:36:02 am »
Now, I saw BBM 38 times in the theatres.  Many different theatres to be exact.

I am 99% positive the "Jack, I swear" line is different on the DVD.  It sounds a little more quiet and emotionally reserved.  In the theatre it seemed more confident and powerfully delivered.

I'm also noticing more posts on TOB about people asking "What did he say at the end?"  We had none of that during the theatrical release.

Thoughts?

Well my thoughts are that I'll agree with you!!!

I don't have the DVD yet - there is STILL no release date here in Oz, but on my Malaysian bootleg, its almost inaudible.  The cinemas played it loud and clear and yet I got to it on the DVD and I was initially annoyed, thinking the DVD burn had screwed up and almost deleted a line but having read your comment here, it is definitely different..  :-\

Will wait for the official DVD and see..
Chut up!

Offline opinionista

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2006, 07:22:25 pm »
I'm also noticing more posts on TOB about people asking "What did he say at the end?"  We had none of that during the theatrical release

Actually, some people were asking that question after seeing the movie at the theater. I remember lots of threads at the TOB about it.

I don't have the DVD yet, so I don't know if the lines come different or not. It will be available for renting next week here in Madrid and for selling on June 7. I don't understand why there are two different dates for the DVD rental and the selling. It's stupid.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

moremojo

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2006, 07:36:15 pm »
Lately I can't help hearing the last line as "Jack, I'll swear..." which I know is wrong (I've seen the movie 5 million times by now).  I don't know what's wrong with me.   ::) :-\
When I had my first phone conversation with my mother after we saw the film together (both for the first time), one week after the event, she invoked this final scene, and initially quoted it herself as "Jack, I'll swear...", correcting herself almost immediately with "Jack, I swear...". She mused that what Ennis never fully said here was, "Jack, I swear that I loved you."

Scott
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 07:43:37 pm by moremojo »

Offline Flashframe777

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • autumn auteur
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2006, 09:13:34 pm »
I think evidence points towards lower audio levels on the DVD transfer.  In the theaters I had no problem hearing "Jack, I Swear", but on the dvd the volume is lower.

LittleGuitar, your avatar looks like the lovechild of Ziggy Stardust & Shirley Manson.
"yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream"

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2006, 11:36:09 pm »
Flashframe, that is Ziggy Stardust (or at least one manifestation of him). 
 :laugh:  :)
I know I'm not LittleGuitar... but I am an obsessed Bowie fan.  Sorry for interjecting...
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Flashframe777

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • autumn auteur
Re: "Jack, I swear..." on the DVD ----OT
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2006, 09:34:22 am »
Off topic here, but I wonder if Little Guitar has a larger size pic of that avatar pic.  I'd like to use it as a visual reference for an upcoming project.

ATZ75,  great.  It looks like a contemporary recreation of a cool Bowie shot though.  The lighting and film stock look too contemporary to be from the 70s.  If it's photoshopped, then someone did a heck of a job.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 09:38:59 am by Flashframe777 »
"yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream"