Author Topic: Human Interest and Two Crows Joy by MadLori  (Read 314929 times)

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Human Interest and Two Crows Joy by MadLori
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2006, 01:37:54 pm »
I was up late last night packing for my vacation and found out the new chapter. :)  Needless to say, I have stopped packing and had to finish the chapter. It was a very nice surprise.

Offline MadLori

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Remember - Jack Nasty loves you.
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2006, 02:19:45 am »
Hello all, this is my first time posting here (I only found out these forums existed a few weeks ago).  Thank you for all you kind words and support.

I've had some real-life stuff going on (people moving out, moving in, redecorating, yadda yadda) and it's slowed me down some.  But I plan to have chapter 12 of TCJ up in the next few days.

In the meantime, I propose some questions for discussion:

1.  Why does Jack's father keep calling?
2.  Should Peter ask Liz to marry him, and why or why not?
3.  Is the hatchet really buried with Alma?

Propose your own, if you wish.
Jack:  I could kick your ass any day of the week.
Ennis:  Then the weeks where you live must have a No Fuckin' Way Day.

mvansand76

« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2006, 07:32:15 am »

Propose your own, if you wish.

Hiya, welcome to Bettermost! Nice of you to join us! I loved your stories, and I am anxiously awaiting your next chapter for Two Crows Joy. I am a sucker for dialogue and that's probably why I got so hooked on your stories (I have to admit I only started reading them two weeks ago...but I read all the chapters in one sitting...).

AD1: I am not sure if in your story he is still trying to maintain his ranch, if so, he might have problems with it, and he might need Jack and Ennis' help? I am really not sure if he is starting to feel regret for how he treated Jack in his childhood, or both of them the last time he saw them.
AD2: Yes, we should have another party on the Brokeback ranch! Is Liz ready though? I am not sure, does she still have some unresolved Jack-issues? I think you mentioned something about that in one of the last chapters. Or with her previous marriage? I think Peter is ready, but I am not sure about Liz...?
AD3: Yes, in my opinion it is, I think she is still dealing with it, but on her own. And I really loved how you treaded that dangerous area in fiction, because it must've been PRETTY awkward for her! You did that really well.

Good luck with writing the next chapter!

Mel

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2006, 12:14:22 am »
Lori ~ Welcome to Bettermost!
It is indeed great to have you here.
I have enjoyed reading your stories!   :)

1.  Maybe he is trying to make peace in his own inadequate way.  Maybe he is trying to keep in touch with his son and make amends after all the way he treated him in his childhood.

2.  Peter should go for it.  They seem to love each other.  I wonder if Liz would be ready to take the leap though.

3.  I think it is 95% buried.  I believe she needs to sleep on it some more and think of all the words she exchanged with jack and Ennis on this Christmas trip .. I am glad she got to air out some of her frustrations, and I thought it was very sweet of Jack to give her that family photograph as a present!

:)

Offline tamarack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2006, 08:04:04 pm »
Lori, welcome to BetterMost! Back in February when I didn't know what to do with the sadness I was feeling from watching the movie over and over, I found a chapter of Human Interest somewhere, I don't even remember where. It took me a while to figure out how to get to the beginning of the story but when I did it was the first good night's sleep that I had had for several weeks, just knowing that the boys were together and that they were okay. Pretty pathetic, I know!  :) Thank you so much for all that you have given us.

I loved the conversations with Alma. If she and Jack had ever had a chance to talk, I really believe that that is what would have been said. After the first time she talked to Jack, when she said "Does he say it to you?" and Jack told her "Yeah. He does," I said to myself, that's it. Alma's over it. It took that to do it, but now she can let it go.

And then the talk with Ennis, asking about things that you know are going to hurt you, but you still have to do it. I have been there. I have done that.

Offline MadLori

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2006, 11:14:15 pm »
The conversations between Alma and Jack, and Alma and Ennis, were something I'd planned for a long time, ever since I decided that I was going to bring Alma to Farmingdale for Christmas.  I agonized over it ahead of time, but when it came time to actually set down those talks, it was surprisingly easy.  I'm glad (and relieved) that those exchanges seem to have worked for people.

Chapter 12 is proving a rather tough nut to crack.  Back at it!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2006, 08:34:06 am »
Welcome to Bettermost, Lori! As another avid reader of your stories I'm glad to see you here.

For the story: most apparent thought is that he - in a hidden and tiny place of his soul - cares about Jack. That he slowly and on a very low level starts to see that he had not done right by him, maybe even feels regrets.
But based on my experiences in RL I'd say this is rather unlikely: abusive parents rarely find a level of (late) insight. It would be quite disturbing for their own self-image and so it happens not often. It's easier to keep saying to oneself, that you have done what you had to do, for whatever reasons. No subterfuge is too far-fetched.

No. First it's too early for Liz. Second: They don't even live together yet, haven't  shared everyday life with all it's little pitfalls. Never marry anyone you haven't lived with together in one household for a while!

Yes. There may be some more issues and coming differences, but no hate.
Jack and Alma (and Ennis and Alma) probably won't be good friends. But they don't have to. It's enough when they can be civil with each other and respect each other. They don't need to be this || close.

Offline MadLori

• Sr. Ranch Hand

Offline littleguitar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2006, 12:35:57 am »
I think I must have signed on at the exact time you posted this... I finished reading it a few minutes ago, very nice! I was really excite to see an update  ;D

‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2006, 08:27:37 am »
That was a nice chapter. I liked Jack's little admission to Liz that he was "getting his Christmas present."  ;)

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!