Author Topic: General Discussion and Recs  (Read 375814 times)

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
Re: General Discussion and Recs
« Reply #60 on: November 26, 2008, 05:53:46 pm »
Hey Sister! If you need any more recs, let me know cuz I've got a million of them. Do you prefer completed works?

Heya,
I'd been looking for a new story recently and discovered one that I really like based on a recommendation, so I thought I'd pass it along.

It's called The Outland by wildcolumbine.  Here's a link to chapter 1 http://wildcolumbine.livejournal.com/5364.html

I've only read 4 chapters so far, but I think it's really very strong as far as I've read.  The writing is good and the premise is interesting.  It's one of those stories that begins with the basic idea that Jack survives the accident (and/or attack) in Texas and Ennis has a realization/ decides to help Jack and commit to him as a result.

It's complete in 16 chapters.

Heathen

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #61 on: November 27, 2008, 05:50:15 pm »
Hey Sister! If you need any more recs, let me know cuz I've got a million of them. Do you prefer completed works?

Hi Roux!

I'd love some recommendations!  Complete stories, are of course, nice... but, completeness isn't a requirement for me.  As long as the story still seems "active" with the author updating relatively frequently, that's good enough for me.

Thanks Bud!
:)

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #62 on: November 28, 2008, 12:21:12 pm »
Amanda, I also highly recommend this story.  I read it as it was being posted and always looked forward to each chapter.  The writing is high quality, for sure. One of the things that makes the story unique is that it is based more on the short story than the movie and it has a very authentic feel to it.  This Jack and Ennis are both as "rough-mannered, rough-spoken, inured to the stoic life," as AP described and the writer uses the physical descriptions of J&E from the ss throughout the story. The writer has an amazing talent for keeping the story raw and real, but at the same time beautiful and light and full of promise.  Even though the story is complete, I do hope she revisits this pair occasionally.

Marie
thanks for the rec. I´ve seen the story around but have of some reason not read it. I will for sure now since you peaked my interest.

Another piece of news; Lolitaray is writing on Propinquity again. yay! I love that fic.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #63 on: November 28, 2008, 12:23:39 pm »
thanks for the rec. I´ve seen the story around but have of some reason not read it. I will for sure now since you peaked my interest.

Another piece of news; Lolitaray is writing on Propinquity again. yay! I love that fic.

I'm now up to chapter 10 in The Outland.  And, I definitely continue to recommend it.  It's very smart.
:)

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #64 on: November 28, 2008, 07:45:39 pm »
I would love to do a chat session for fic recommendations-maybe on a regular basis (?). Anybody interested?

Heathen

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #65 on: November 30, 2008, 02:30:45 pm »
I had completely missed Sienata´s fic Boys of Blue Ridge and spent today reading it. Everytime I read one of her stories I fall in love with her versions of Ennis and Jack. She writes such wonderful and cute fluff. It´s very hard to decide which one of her stories I like best, they are all very sweet and very easy to read.
I think I´m gonna have to go back and re-read Best Friends Forever

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #66 on: December 01, 2008, 11:40:47 am »
I would love to do a chat session for fic recommendations-maybe on a regular basis (?). Anybody interested?

Hi Roux!  This sounds like a fun idea!

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #67 on: December 05, 2008, 03:29:44 pm »

Sounds like a great idea to me, too, roux!

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #68 on: December 05, 2008, 05:09:39 pm »
I´m looking for a fic, but I can´t remember the name.
One scene featured Ennis recieving a BJ by a girl in his car. Jack walks up to the car and sees them.
I think the girl isn´t Ennis´s girlfriend but rather a friend with benifits.

ring any bells?

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #69 on: December 05, 2008, 05:30:33 pm »
I´m looking for a fic, but I can´t remember the name.
One scene featured Ennis recieving a BJ by a girl in his car. Jack walks up to the car and sees them.
I think the girl isn´t Ennis´s girlfriend but rather a friend with benifits.

ring any bells?

I'm pretty sure that is "Best Friends Forever" by Sienata. Hope that helps!  :)

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain